Boric acid Paste recipe for termite control

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Another " Will get to it when retired" project.

Looking for a good termite control paste recipe, as you can't buy it pre mixed. Years ago , the pest control co's usually had small cans of the stuff , looked like light brown dough,usually drilled holes in the infested wood and filled like putty.

I looked on line, you can buy the boric acid powder , and have to mix your own.

Seen recipes on line calling for water , grape jelly , etc. to attract the termites and take back to the nest.

I got a can of Spectracide termite foam, but it requires direct contact , and has little residual effect.

So called Orange Oil is available too.

We get both drywood and subterranean termites in so cal.

Ideas?

Try Phantom. It will work better than any hand soap. It's great for bed bugs too.

Hi Lakewood...

I have used a borax product called Timbor. It is a powder that you mix with warm water and spray it on with a pump up sprayer. I have done all the wood in my basement and workshop with it. It is used by contractors when house building. I always keep some on hand, if I need to protect something later on. It is a safe product and lasts a long time. A lot better than a regular pesticide.

To buy it, here's one good source...I usually order it by the case with 8 bags in it, and you can also read all about it and look at the MSDS and label on this page, too...
TIMBOR, Tim-Bor - Free Shipping

I have not used Bora-Care, and cannot comment on it...
BORACARE, BORA-CARE - Free Shipping

You can do a Google search for more information on Timbor.

Last edited:
I have not used Bora-Care, and cannot comment on it...
BORACARE, BORA-CARE - Free Shipping
I have used Bora-Care (and it's sister product, "Mold-Care", which protects wod against dry rot, wet rot, and mold). It works very well and is easy to apply. Both contain surfactants/penetrants that allow the active ingredients to thoroughly penetrate the wood, they do this much more effectively than if Boric acid were just mixed with water. (I think Timbor has the same type of additives). So, two applications about an hour apart will assure penetration entirely through a 2" thick board, which is what is generally needed. Termites are persistent, and if the boric acid doesn't entirely penetrate the board, they will get through the barrier and dine on your home--there's not much point in using them at all if they don't entirely stop the termites from using the boards as a highway. I don't think a simple boric acid/water paste or mixture will work nearly as well. In the grand scheme of things, the purpose designed products aren't very expensive.

I've heard that automobile anti freeze - the non environmentally friendly kind - will kill just about anything. Wood coated with it won't rot, bugs won't eat the wood, fungus won't grow on it, insect eggs are destroyed, etc. And supposedly it easily penetrates wood. The only problem is that ongoing exposure to water will wash it out of the wood.

Apparently one can make up a solution of antifreeze and borates at home. Here's one person's experience.

http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/homemade.html

Last edited:
Apparently one can make up a solution of antifreeze and borates at home. Here's one person's experience.

Wood Rot and Dry Rot Homemade wood treatments
Thanks for that link. I'm tempted to try the recipe for his homebrew BoraCare and compare the penetration and final borate retention (inferred from the weight gain of dried samples) to the commercial product. His approach is going to be a lot cheaper.

Been zapping the termites with spectracide foam.Breaking out soft spots, and drilling small holes for the spectracide spray tube. Will check for new droppings in a few months, and fill holes with putty if no new droppings found.

One thing for sure, I will be pre treating all lumber in new remodeling projects with timbor or one of the other borate products. Cheap in$urance aginst termite damage.

Back
Top Bottom