Boring Stuff [some] Older People Say

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This article purports to list things that baby boomers habitually say, which bore and annoy younger folks.

Baby boomers my foot (as my mother would say!) It goes back way farther than they do! I recall older people saying these things when I was young, and yes, it was very tedious to listen to (my parents had a nickname for talk of aches, pains and operations: "The organ recital.")

"I can't believe it's [season/holiday] again" always struck me as silly, since the only thing worth remarking on would be if the season or holiday didn't come around this time.

What other cliches do we associate with older people's speech patterns? (For purposes of this thread, I'm avoiding getting into cliches we may associate with younger people's speech patterns, heh). Is it worth trying to avoid falling into these speech habits?

Amethyst

Susan Reimer on Boomer talk - Baltimore Sun

Last edited:
Some of my best memories from my junior high school years include giggling hysterically with my friends about things our parents did. I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of such great memories, so I'll just continue to use the same speech patterns as always. Besides, it seems kind of phony to me to re-phrase things just to gain approval from younger people. :)

I guess this answer is in the "I've earned every one of these gray hairs!" category. :2funny:

Back in my day people didn't write articles like that.

Back in my day people didn't write articles like that.
:LOL:

In my 20's and 30's, I'd roll my eyes at the things my parents would say. By the time I was in my 40's, I found myself saying the same things.

I do try to watch what I say when I'm visiting with my niece and nephew (they're in their 30's), but I know they have to take a break from me every once in a while to get in a good eye roll. They don't do it in front of me...it's either because they're too polite or they know they're in my will.

But I swear by all that's holy, I will never stop saying 'cool' or 'groovy'.

:rolleyes:

Why are articles like this always about how older folks need to modify themselves to work with younger folks?

I was here first ya little (BLEEPITY BLEEP-BLEEP), you can change to work with me!

Seriously, what about learning from your elders?

These kids today, I tell ya. And that stuff they listen to, they call that music? Why, it's just a bunch of noise.

The one that got to me the most was "My, how you've grown!"

Well, whadja expect me to do, shrink? Sheesh.

I am getting a kick out of some of the responses here.

I worry (just a little) about being acceptable to younger people and then I worry about the fact that I'm worrying about something I shouldn't have too. Too conflicted I guess.

Next time I encounter a younger person, guess I'll just freeze.

It's the result of 20-30 years of "self-esteem training" in the schools. Brought on through pressure from the very generation which the younger folks now love to openly diss.

Why are articles like this always about how older folks need to modify themselves to work with younger folks?

Today I was lugging a 30-pound sack of lime pellets to the car. Because the sack was dirty, I was holding it out from my body, and perhaps that made me look like I was under a strain. An elderly fellow, wearing one of those tall-crowned baseball caps elderly fellows wear, made the incisive comment,

"Looks like you're totin' something heavy, there!"

It was not an offer to help me carry the bag. It was pure old-folks witticism.

Amethyst

The one that got to me the most was "My, how you've grown!"

Well, whadja expect me to do, shrink? Sheesh.

Young people say a lot of boring stuff too.

I can't believe REW hasn't come by with
"Hey kids, get off my lawn!"

We try to use the "walk uphill to school in the snow both ways" whenever we can.

Who listens to old ppl? If u cnt say it N 140 characters, why read it? #twittergen

I always heard, 'better shape up or ship out'.

MRG

This thread got me to thinking about some of the things my Mom (she passed away in 2009 at the age of 86) would say that amused me.

When talking about how stupid somebody was: "That guy couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel!".

When encountering back-talk from us kids, or us joking about how we were taller than her (Mom was short), smarter than her, etc: "I'll just climb up onto a chair and beat some sense into you!"

She had many others, that I'll sometimes remember when other people say something similar and I remember them.

Mom was a very matter-of-fact woman, and thank God she kept her wits and humor until the very end. Not really a quote, but a funny story from when the family was visiting her in the hospital...a new nurse rolled in some kind of blood pressure/heart monitor with a screen on it, to take Mom's blood pressure. Mom looked over and saw the screen on it, and thought it was one of those machines you see in TV shows where when it starts making the long beeping noise, it means the heart has stopped.

Mom props herself up, and looks over at this girl (who couldn't have been more than a couple weeks out of nursing school) and says, "When that thing starts beeping, does that mean I've checked out?" (keep in mind, Mom had fully accepted what was happening, and didn't ask this in a scared way, but rather very matter-of-factly). The poor girl was shocked and didn't know what to say. Mom said, "It's okay, you can tell me." The girl said, "Um...yes maam." Mom just laid her head back on the pillow, and very calmly said, "Okay."

I wish I could remember more of the funny things she used to say. It's fun when I hear others saying something similar, because it immediately brings back memories.

Back
Top Bottom