Join Early Retirement Today

Boss' Day ?!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Boss' Day ?!

Are you kidding me? I got this memo that I'm supposed to kick in 10 bucks for ..... boss' day. I must have missed the announcement that there was such a thing. Sorry, but screw that. She can have 100% of everything I've ever gotten for "day of the teacher", which is about 2 coffee mugs over 20 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This is shameful. I heard about bosses day a few years ago. Who thought up such an asinine day? Hallmark?

Who is asking for the 10 bucks?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #3

The secretary. Probably sucking up for secretary's day. Maybe I should split the mugs, one each.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now this is an occasion where "re-gifting" might be appropriate. Especially anything with a vendor logo.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Are you kidding me? I got this memo that I'm supposed to kick in 10 bucks for ..... boss' day. I must have missed the announcement that there was such a thing. Sorry, but screw that. She can have 100% of everything I've ever gotten for "day of the teacher", which is about 2 coffee mugs over 20 years.
Don't give her $10!!! I agree with you. Re-gift the coffee mugs. Better just wrap one of them for a gift this year, and save one for next year...

Luckily, I don't get hit up for Boss's day since feds aren't supposed to give their bosses anything of much value. I have heartlessly refused to contribute to retirement gifts, though, or attend the $30/plate retirement luncheons in addition to the gifts, since I need that money for MY retirement. I figure that I am saving over $1000/year by being non-compliant on these matters. I sign the cards with eloquence and make a point of congratulating the retiree in person, so that will have to do!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You guys make my J*b look so good! Oh, the joys of a mini-company: I'm in charge (at my choice) of supplying the boss with a birthday card and replenishing the African violet in the expensive pot I gave him years ago. He gets a kick out of telling people I grow the violets from leaves. Cost over years: about $4.28/year. Is that frugal, cheap bastard or too much? This j*b is so hard to quit but I'm getting there.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Are you kidding me? I got this memo that I'm supposed to kick in 10 bucks for ..... boss' day. I must have missed the announcement that there was such a thing. Sorry, but screw that.
Gosh, until we ER'd I thought every day was Boss' Day!

You should forward this to the appropriate people:

"Gift Rage"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with Bruce Springsteen?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I echo what W2R said. There are too many different kinds of collections or donations at work. Sometimes you just have to say no. Even if I contributed to a gift fund, the money would be used to buy something useless IMO (like ugly framed art or $10 mug). Why contribute to the habit of buying crap?

What do you say on Boss' Day? "Thank you for walking around all day and getting paid twice as much as I do. In case that's not enough money, here is a little money to subsidize your lifestyle."

[OK, that said, if you really like your boss, I guess it doesn't hurt to tell him Happy Boss Day. I just think $10 is way too excessive.]
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #10

Last year we were all sitting around the table at lunch time, and one of the guys asked if we were giving the boss anything for 'Boss's Day'. In unison the rest of us said no. The guy thought we ought to give him something anyway. So I glanced at the others and said I'd take care of it.

When the boss came in the room to join us for lunch, I said "You know today is 'Boss's Day' and some thought we ought to give you something. So this is from all of us to you......and I gave him 'the bird'.

Fortunately he had a sense of humor....usually. He laughed about it.......knowing I was a "short-timer" and I'd soon be gone!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I worked at a very sociable place and we celebrated a lot .Birthdays ,baby showers ,weddings ,retirements ,etc.. It probably added up to be a chunk of money over the years but the friendships and niceness of the working enviroment were priceless .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a 'boss' (of 8 people) and don't expect anything. I'm barely aware of Boss's day. Why should they get me something? I make more than they do already. Instead, we have a custom that each person brings some food in on her/his birthday, and some other random time (yesterday I took in a a chocolate cake for no good reason). Works out.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The year I was a 'boss', my underlings contractors gave me a card saying how wonderful I was.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I did not know it existed... but hey, I like the idea! Bring me gifts.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post

When the boss came in the room to join us for lunch, I said "You know today is 'Boss's Day' and some thought we ought to give you something. So this is from all of us to you......and I gave him 'the bird'.

Alright Goonie your going to have to take a time out... I hate to be the one to break this to you... But you just broke the new code of conduct rule. No obscene jestures (images or symbols that might be interpreted a certain way)... you jester you.

But I think it is still OK for you to think it. There isn't a rule against that... Oops. I just broke the sarcasm rule again. Not to mention the getting off topic rule.

Gosh, I hope I used the right font size.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Alright Goonie your going to have to take a time out... I hate to be the one to break this to you... But you just broke the new code of conduct rule. No obscene jestures (images or symbols that might be interpreted a certain way)... you jester you.
But I think it is still OK for you to think it. There isn't a rule against that... Oops. I just broke the sarcasm rule again. Not to mention the getting off topic rule.
Gosh, I hope I used the right font size.
If I were you I wouldn't worry about the moderators... I'd worry about being drafted to be a moderator!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If I were you I wouldn't worry about the moderators... I'd worry about being drafted to be a moderator!
No Thanks. Although, I do appreciate those who choose to serve.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Back in the day when I had been on the job supervising about a dozen folks for about 2 months they presented me with a bosses day gift (have no idea what it was). I thanked them all and announced that I would be gifting them all something in the future and that will be the end of our gifting as long as I held the position.

I have never seen a happier group of folks.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #19

A couple of my former coworkers would do something for "us" since they were in the same office as our boss (nothing big a card and cupcake or something)....I disagree with the sentiment on all of the "office collections"...We are in a small office of a larger organization and it has gotten out of hand....

The way that my boss has been acting the last couple of years, he is lucky not to be getting a smelly fish or the like hidden in his office as his "present"....
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote