Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

NFL: 2015 Season
Old 09-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

NFL: 2015 Season

Yes its wrong, but I just cant get too worked up over it. Many times a game three officials touch the ball after a single play with one launching it to sideline or back up field to set ball into play. If those "professionally trained fingers" not once noticed the balls were under inflated, then I don't consider it a huge ordeal...But what do I know, I celebrated Gaylord Perry's pitching back in the day. And oddly so did the press back then before they became the "moral compass" on everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #42
Administrator

Why don't y'all take a breather on this and then just move on?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
yours directly gave him a competitive advantage
Apparently Judge Berman disagrees with you since he asked the NFL attorney Nash to explain how Brady's second half stats when the balls were fully inflated were better than the first half.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
So the moral of the story is BEFORE the NFL suspends players for ball inflation or deflation they SHOULD have had a better ball control procedure with calibrated gauges, records of before and after etc...
No the moral is that Brady cheated and got away with on the technicality that there was nothing that specifically stated what the penalty was for his action. How is the NFL supposed to come up with a penalty for things they never imagined would happen?

What's next? A kicker puts a spring device in the top of his shoe and when he gets caught he can't be penalized because there was no specific rule about performance enhancing devices in your shoe and what the penalty is for it?

The most imaginative players could get away with things like that forever.

People get fined for wearing the wrong color shoes but no penalty for cheating? That's a joke
Old 09-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No the moral is that Brady cheated and got away with on the technicality that there was nothing that specifically stated what the penalty was for his action. How is the NFL supposed to come up with a penalty for things they never imagined would happen?

What's next? A kicker puts a spring device in the top of his shoe and when he gets caught he can't be penalized because there was no specific rule about performance enhancing devices in your shoe and what the penalty is for it?

People get fined for wearing the wrong color shoes but no penalty for cheating? That's a joke

No, need to...they just cheat this way...
In National Football League lore, the Snowplow Game was a regular-season game played between the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots on December 12, 1982, at Schaefer Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. The stadium's snowplow operator, Mark Henderson, cleared a spot on the snowy field specifically for New England kicker John Smith so he could kick the winning field goal to give the Patriots a 3–0 win.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

And Rodgers overinflating the balls should be handled how?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

It looks like they already have changed the rules for psi. All balls now have to be at 13psi.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2318248
Old 09-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
No, need to...they just cheat this way...
In National Football League lore, the Snowplow Game was a regular-season game played between the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots on December 12, 1982, at Schaefer Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. The stadium's snowplow operator, Mark Henderson, cleared a spot on the snowy field specifically for New England kicker John Smith so he could kick the winning field goal to give the Patriots a 3–0 win.

I was at that game and Mark Henderson was on a work release from the local prison and I remembered his comments after the game " what were the going to do throw me in jail?"
Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Deflatgate, Spygate, "The Tuck", The Snow Plow game. The Pats get all the fun dont they! If you were a Pats fan Corporate, I bet you got a kick out of it! Coach Shula blew a gasket from what I read. I remember the game but only the highlight. Of course on a 3-0 game that was the highlight!

Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, but it might be because your star player and my star player both did something wrong but your star player is playing and mine isnt. My star players "wrong" had nothing to do with football and yours directly gave him a competitive advantage, even though I seriously doubt he needed it.

That situation is a complete travesty.
I concede that what your star player did had nothing to do with football, it nonetheless violated the rules and I assume that there was a blood test or something of the like to provide direct evidence that the rule had been violated so there is not much room to object (other than to whether there should be a rule outlawing marijuana use by NFL players).

OTOH, according to NFL lawyers there is no direct evidence that Brady tampered with footballs or encouraged others to.

Quote:
According to reporters present, Berman “repeatedly” asked Nash what direct evidence the league possesses linking Brady to a plot to surreptitiously deflate footballs below the league-minimum level, prior to the Jan. 18 AFC title game against Indianapolis.

Nash said “maybe the most direct evidence” came during Brady’s and the union’s unsuccessful appeal in June, heard by commissioner Goodell. Specifically, when Brady testified that the two implicated Patriots equipment handlers would never have deflated footballs on their own.

That’s when Berman asked, apparently incredulously, “Is that it?!?!”

Responded the NFL’s lawyer, per Ben Volin of the Boston Globe:

“The lack of a smoking gun does not mean there’s not a lack of culpability. Maybe it’s not direct evidence, but those text messages (of Brady’s) were not produced, (his) cell phone was destroyed, and it’s clearly reasonable to infer that there’s further evidence of culpability.”

Berman kept grilling Nash until the lawyer admitted, finally, that the league had no direct evidence “for that specific game” that there was any plot by anyone on the Patriots to deflate air from footballs.
Edited to add link to full article: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/08/1...inst-tom-brady

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #51

I doubt the snow plow operator did that at the Patriots request. The cheating seems to have started when Belichick got there.

Well based on nothing happening to Brady then obviously nothing can happen to Rodgers. If Brady's suspension had been upheld then the Rodgers situation would be more interesting. Rodgers probably still shouldn't be suspended for 2 reasons.
1) Brady's suspension would've been for hindering the investigation, which Rodgers didn't do.
2) This one is trickier but do you suspend someone for something they didn't get caught doing? He admitted to pushing the limits. We don't know specifically if he went over the limits or not because he didn't get caught and there are no balls as evidence. Also, is there a statute of limitations for admitting something like this? What if someone says they took steroids 5 yrs ago but we're never caught?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It looks like they already have changed the rules for psi. All balls now have to be at 13psi.
A good first step. Add to that that the officials control the balls during the game and then there is not much to argue about.

I'd like to also see a rule similar to hockey that a team can allege an equipment violation but if they are wrong then they get a penalty.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Of course pressure will still vary with temperature, temperature differential where measured if not on the field & handling, but both teams will suffer/enjoy the variation equally. That sure was easy...

But you still haven't told us who your new favorite player is...

Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Of course pressure will still vary with temperature, ...
You're saying it all Boyle's down to this?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Of course pressure will still vary with temperature, temperature differential where measured if not on the field & handling, but both teams will suffer/enjoy the variation equally. That sure was easy...

But you still haven't told us who your new favorite player is...
Why can't he still have Rodgers as his favorite player while being disappointed that he "pushed the limits"?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why can't he still have Rodgers as his favorite player while being disappointed that he "pushed the limits"?
To summarize for you again:
  • He hates cheaters
  • Rodgers is his favorite player
  • Rodgers didn't just push the limits, he deliberately went over (see below, again - link above, and there are many more)
    • Odds are they weren't caught/corrected every time BTW.
  • [Just as you both allege Brady went under the limit, even though the NFL offered no proof by their own admission.]
Head in the sand much?
Quote:
"(Rodgers) said something [that] was unique," Simms revealed. "[Rodgers said] 'I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.' Because he thinks it's easier for him to grip. He likes them tight."

Old 09-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....Brady's suspension would've been for hindering the investigation...
I don't recall reading anywhere that the NFL claims that Brady hindered the investigation, but more that they feel he was not fully cooperative. There is a significant difference between the two as the former suggests actively trying to interfere with the investigation and the other is simply failing to be cooperative.

I would be hesitant to be cooperative with my accusers in those circumstances too, if I was innocent or if I was guilty.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
why don't y'all take a breather on this and then just move on?

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1441396399.074639.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Brady's suspension would've been for hindering the investigation, which Rodgers didn't do.
For one more time..........No player in NFL history was suspended for hindering or obstructing an investigation.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #60

Come on. He threw his phone away. He hindered the investigation. The content of text messages aren't kept by phone companies but they are stored on your phone even when you delete them. His lawyers know that and he threw his phone away. Stop denying the obvious when the whole country knows what happened.

It's like Pete Rose denying he bet on baseball or Barry Bonds denying he took steroids. Just admit it and move on.
Closed Thread