"Brain study examines submariners in training"

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I knew it had to happen sooner or later...

Brain study examines submariners in training - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

The lieutenants are test subjects in an ongoing Defense Advanced Research Project Agency study measuring how teams work, neurologically. The submariners in the study wear headsets that resemble skullcaps with electrodes — devices that measure the electrical activity of their brains during the simulated transit.
The idea is to use the EEG headsets to track how mentally engaged the team is in the scenario by measuring each individual’s level of brain activity. Researchers can then use the data to track the navigation team’s engagement levels moment by moment.
In addition to training submariners more effectively, the research could lead to insights about why teams fall into disorder and how to identify these signs early. Reports of collisions routinely point to distracted and unengaged watchstanders as factors that led to impending disaster.
I guess the researchers wanted to test their equipment on really big brains. Or really simple ones with little activity that's easily decrypted.

I'm sure at least one XO is hoping that his lieutenants' EEG headsets are equipped with a motivational voltage source controlled by the XO's buzzer button...

Reports of collisions routinely point to distracted and unengaged watchstanders as factors that led to impending disaster.
And the Navy needs to study submariner's brains to figure this out? Heck, the AF concluded that "crashes routinely point to pilots flying with insufficient ground clearance" without spending a nickel on 'brain research'...

Maybe they will quantify how long complete situational awareness can be maintained. Then note how deeply one gets fogged out.

Did the monitor caps look like this ?

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

I recently attended the funeral of a former co-worker at Megacorp. He was my trainer in my early days at Megacorp. We worked closely together for several years.

He served aboard a diesel-electric submarine during WWII. He told stories of torpedoing Japanese warships and surviving Japanese depth charge attacks.

He died at age 90. His wife had died a few years earlier. He lived alone, independently, in his house and drove his car until the day before he died.

Back
Top Bottom