Brand loyalty?

I'm willing to pay good money for something that meets my needs and is well made and reliable. But that has no necessary connection to the brand name. At the same time, it has been my experience that it doesn't matter how cheap something was if it turns out to be a piece of junk.

Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice, Not from Concentrate.

There is no substitute.

Have you ever checked the active ingredients list? The store brands often have the exact same active ingredients as the national brands.

Nothing magical about the does of active ingredients: aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine. As I wrote, the listed ingredients are the same but since I know Excedrin works, if just for my mental ease I stick with it. I don't get headaches every day, so I'm happy to pay the premium price (a few bucks extra) since a bottle lasts a long time

I have a few:

• Hand tools: Irwin
  • Power tools: Bosch, Dewalt and Milwaukee
  • Multimeters: Fluke
  • Small Kitchen appliances: Breville
  • Large Kitchen Appliances: Bosch
  • Washers/Dryers: LG & Electrolux
  • Kitchen knives: Wusthof (Classic Ikon series)
  • Computer monitors: Dell (best color accuracy at a reasonable price)
  • DSLRs & Lenses: Canon
  • Drones: DJI (but the recent ban may affect this)
  • PCs: Build my own (prefer Intel CPUs, but AMD is currently outperforming)
  • Athletic Clothes: Under Armour and Columbia Sportswear
  • Jackets: North Face
  • Glasses & Sunglasses Frames: Oakley (titanium, hinged)
  • Audio: Denon AVRs and Klipsch Heritage Series speakers
  • Headphones: Sony and Sennheiser
  • Projectors: Epson (currently 5050 series)
  • Cell Phones: Apple iPhone

For me, Penzeys is the little spice shop near me! Win-win!

We are no longer in Milwaukee but we mail order from the Spice House. I miss going into the store.

As a former brand manager, there is no doubt that at least in the consumer product cleaning category, performance of our brands were better than the store brands. Having said that, many people do not need better. The surfaces get cleaned before the spill dries. Or, perhaps using extra product for a second pass is infrequent keeping the value in line. In those situations, the value brand makes sense to me too. But, I still like the overall performance of the name brands when it comes to cleaning products.

For me, Penzeys is the little spice shop near me! Win-win!

DS and DDIL sent us a Penzeys spice package as a present. They are all really good. The one that is FANTASIC is "Mural of Flavor". The absolute best flavoring for eggs, hash browns, and a host of other things.

Jack link's beef jerky. At least so far, I haven't been satisfied with others--and I'm just a bit too lazy to make my own. I'll keep examining others though, when they are cheaper.

We are no longer in Milwaukee but we mail order from the Spice House. I miss going into the store.

They are third on my list only because the small spice store is great and it’s buying local and Penzey’s has a store not too far away. If I have to order spices, Spice House is my choice.

Jack link's beef jerky. At least so far, I haven't been satisfied with others--and I'm just a bit too lazy to make my own. I'll keep examining others though, when they are cheaper.

I normally make my own, but Jack's are pretty good if you are on a
road trip and need something quick.

Regarding house brand products:

My weakness is Kettle chips. Don't eat a lot, but they satisfy a craving.

I have tried them all, and the bottom line is my preference is Clancy's from Aldi's. Half the price (or less) than the big boys.

Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice, Not from Concentrate.

There is no substitute.

I have found real freshly squeezed OJ (pre-covid) from the store, was like heaven even compared to Tropicana, and other premium brands.

Fresh squeezed is also more expensive, and will vary depending upon the oranges used.

I have found real freshly squeezed OJ (pre-covid) from the store, was like heaven even compared to Tropicana, and other premium brands.

Fresh squeezed is also more expensive, and will vary depending upon the oranges used.

Oh, I agree. I should have said among commercial, mass produced brands like Tropicana, Florida's Best, Minutemaid, etc.

I like almost anything that has the Kirkland name on it. Ironically, the only thing I don’t like is their toilet paper, which was one of the first things they put their own name on.

your post got me curious about what type condiments is in our fridge. Ketchup is Hunts brand and the yellow mustard is Clover Valley which is Dollar General house brand. Also a nearly empty Hy Vee Ketchup.

Is the Hunt's brand named Catsup or Ketchup? Big difference in texture and flavor.

Reluctantly, Apple, as in the computers and, to a lesser extent, the iphones.

We love the macOS operating system, not so much the hardware choices over the last decade. We put up with the limited hardware just to run the macOS.

I've done a deep dive into linux and windows 10, even running them on my old Apple hardware. They are both surprising powerful on ancient hardware, esp. linux. However, nothing on linux w*rks as well for me as Adobe Photoshop and linux won't even support my audio hardware.

Windows 10 seemed more promising since Adobe is now mac/windows agnostic, and there are tons of major audio DAW software available. I nearly switched to the "dark side", but the little things started to drive me crazy.

Text just plain looks different on Win10 vs macOS, even running the same website on the same browser. I found that the Win10 text much harder to read, which was a surprise since this wasn't a big deal when I used Window 7 when w*rking. Oddly, this even extended to printing LibreOffice documents. The text was just more fuzzy at a given level of print resolution.

After spending tons of time tweaking Win10 text setting with some improvement, I realized that things were just easier in Mac World, at least for the stuff I want to do. Plus, I stumbled on the fact that Apple is now offering a free 90 demo of Logic Pro, basically Garage Band on steroids. After laying down a few vocal and guitar tracks in Logic, I was just floored. The sound quality of many of the presets is just amazing, much better than what I've been getting out of Garage Band.

Looks like I've fallen in love with Apple again and will eventually be upgrading to their in- house M1 hardware or the like as new mac models roll out over the next few years.

Also, I'm getting tired of lugging around real camera on hikes, so I'll probably treat myself to a new(er) iphone at some point. If you shoot raw files with an app like Adobe Lightroom or native (newer phones), the results are suprising good and no more extra stuff to lug up the hills.

Last edited:
Nope, brand nothing. Buy whatever I can get.

Gyp rather than Skimpy (Well, that's what I call JIF and SKIPPY peanut butter.) Oh - only the chunk style in any case, but YMMV.

In most instances if the house brand product is an option we go with it.

I have a decent tool set that I have had since 1979 when I went to auto tech school Snap on. I never broke one, the sockets and wrenches fit snuggly and did not round of corners and if they would break they would be replaced free. One student broke his nose by using a cheap $20 breaker bar he was pulling down on it trying to loosen a rear differential plug and it snapped on him. I think Craftsman tools are the same but since Sears is now closed no one to honor the warranty.

My parents, both long deceased,but my dad liked to use Listerine brand mouthwash, it was considerably higher priced The house brand was"Shurfine" brand in Lincoln NE
grocery store and she would just refill the Listerine bottle with the Shurfine stuff. Exact same ingredients and amber color and Dad never knew the difference.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic, but I've always thought it was odd that toilet paper rolls & paper towel rolls don't have the brand name printed on the cardboard roll. I mean when you've finished the roll there should be a name printed there to remind you which brand to purchase, or not, right?

Don't they hire marketing geniuses to build their brands??

I like Thomas' English Muffins much better than the sliced ones.
I was going to say none, until I saw this. Yes, Thomas' are my go to brand of English Muffins but only because Bays' are not available in DC. Bays' were my go to muffin in Chicago. They are equal to or better than Thomas'. :cool:

Edit: it is odd how many of us enjoy adding our two cents worth to these trivial questions.

Last edited:
it is odd how many of us enjoy adding our two cents worth to these trivial questions.

Someone should invent a board game wherein such Trivia could be 'Pursued'.

I really am not so brand loyal, DW however will not use any thing but Blue Plate mayo. we use Kirkland brand for a lot of things. I will read the back of the package on stuff and if the ingredients match will buy it generic. We like bottled spring water from Aldi for a lot less than Deer Park, but we have a filter on our refridge that I use a lot at home. We have found that Aldi red berry cereal and corn flake are as good as the name brand. My DW says it takes her longer to shop if I'm with her because of my reading, LOL.

House brands always....with the following exceptions....

Duke's Mayonaise
USA Shrimp
Florida's Natural Orange Juice (only Florida oranges in my OJ)
Rouse's Grocery Store seasonings/spices (we lived in Louisiana for a long stint and we stock up when we pass thru...the spice aisle anywhere else is a bore...I guess that's a house brand though!)

We also avoid (as best we can) products made in China....we try not to feed the dragon.

Back
Top Bottom