Join Early Retirement Today

Breyers ice cream recipe change
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Breyers ice cream recipe change

I had not purchased any Breyers ice cream in a while, but I succumbed yesterday afternoon at the grocery store. My first spoonful told me something was WRONG !! A check of the ingredients confirmed that the recipe has changed. Has anyone else noticed a drastic change ? When did this travesty happen ??
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it's vanilla, be aware Breyer's has many types/styles/formulations supplied in similar packaging. Last I checked the "original" simple vanilla is still available, but the multitude of types can make it difficult to find.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

No, not the vanilla, butter pecan. Although, I suspect this is a more pervasive change than just my beloved BUTTER PECAN ! Been hooked since I first tried Breyers Butter Pecan in the early 70s.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #4

It has been quite a while since the small recipe change:

Did Breyers vanilla ice cream formula change? [Archive] - Straight Dope Message Board

Personally, I didn't even notice the change. Now I very occasionally get some Breyers Carb Smart low net carb ice cream, and I find it quite good.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not get Breyers that ofter... but my wife bought me some mint chocolate chip the other day.... and it was not that great... not as smooth as I liked... and the flavor was not that strong... looking at the link.... the chips were not even chocolate!!!

"Yeah, here's a whole website (http://www.breyerssucks.com/) devoted to outrage over the change in the Breyer's formula. I'm not a fan of the changes; I used to love the Mint Chocolate Chip but, as MrJackboots points out, the chips aren't even real chocolate anymore."

The other big thing is that the size keeps getting smaller without any cost savings...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #6

I used to like Breyers but sometime in the past 4 or 5 years I decided I did not care for it any more, maybe this is the change you mention?

I only buy in the order of preference:

Edy's many flavors, they used to have a Chocolate Carmel that was a 10 but haven't seen it in years, Double Vanilla but I haven't seen it lately and the Vanilla I just bought was so good I would have sworn it was the Double Vanilla (not the French Vanilla or the Vanilla Bean), Chocolate, Espresso Chip, Vanilla Orange Sherbet

Turkey Hill typically just Dutch Chocolate, sometime Rum Raisin

Friendly's only Pistachio.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Vanilla Fudge Twirl used to be my favorite but that changed along with the recipe. Some things are better left alone!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have been gobbling Bryers Carb Smart Almond Ice Cream Bars for the last month. I love them.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Time to get the old ice cream maker out of the closet and put it to good use. I have a Donvier which does not require the use of ice and rock salt. You simply freeze the metal insert and then pour in the ingrediants. It makes excellent ice cream.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
Time to get the old ice cream maker out of the closet and put it to good use. I have a Donvier which does not require the use of ice and rock salt. You simply freeze the metal insert and then pour in the ingrediants. It makes excellent ice cream.
We have something similar. Here's the recipe we use:

Choc. Chip Ice Cream

2 c Heavy whipping Cream
24 drops liquid splenda
.5 tsp Vanilla
1 square unsweetened chocolate, chopped
Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #11

Now we only buy ice cream when we have company. When we do its Blue Bell. I used to consider ice cream a basic food group, but no more. Once in a while we use the vitamix to blend a "frozen smoothie".
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Now we only buy ice cream when we have company. When we do its Blue Bell. I used to consider ice cream a basic food group, but no more. Once in a while we use the vitamix to blend a "frozen smoothie".
+1
I used to buy Breyers exclusively untill they started making the containers skinnier and then later beveled. Reduced the volume but still made it look like the original 1/2 gallon yet charge just as much for the product. (Fool me once shame on you but fool me twice and you lose my business) The flavor went downhill too. We made the change to Blue Bell and a real 1/2 gallon and never looked back. Much better quality by far.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
+1
I used to buy Breyers exclusively untill they started making the containers skinnier and then later beveled. Reduced the volume but still made it look like the original 1/2 gallon yet charge just as much for the product. (Fool me once shame on you but fool me twice and you lose my business) The flavor went downhill too. We made the change to Blue Bell and a real 1/2 gallon and never looked back. Much better quality by far.

Cheers!
My brother stopped eating Breyers for the same reason.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

First Breyer's and now Trader Joe's. (Their chocolate chips are not longer Kosher.) What is the world coming to?!?!?!?!

At the Neighborhood Trader Joe's, a Run on Chocolate Chips - WSJ.com

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We have something similar. Here's the recipe we use:

Choc. Chip Ice Cream

2 c Heavy whipping Cream
24 drops liquid splenda
.5 tsp Vanilla
1 square unsweetened chocolate, chopped
Al,

What ice cream maker do you use?
Also, when you use splenda instead of real sugar, what precautions do I need to take so the ice cream will turn out the way it turns out when you use sugar?

Thanks!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I tried Breyers a couple times and didn't find is satisfying. Give me Tillamook Ice Cream any day!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #17

Ice cream without an ice-cream maker:

1 lb strawberries, deep-frozen
6-8 oz whipping cream, very very cold
1-2 oz sugar, or to taste, very very cold
squeeze of lemon juice, very very cold

Place strawberries in food processor. Process for a minute or so until you have snow-like powder - don't worry if there are one or two lumps. Add other ingredients and process for 15-20 seconds until well mixed. Serve.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I tried Breyers a couple times and didn't find is satisfying. Give me Tillamook Ice Cream any day!
Never had Tillamook, but I used to love Bluebell ice cream back in the day. I don't think I ever really liked Breyers.

In recent years I have seldom bought ice cream at all, because of my weight. Fat free, sugar free ice cream does not agree with my stomach.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Breyers
Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Breyers

I remember Breyer's years ago. Butter pecan had full pecan nut halves in it. Ice cream was so creamy. Now it tastes like ice milk with a few pecan chips in it by comparison.
donothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #20

My favorite one has gone also. It was the chocolate and peanut butter, very rich. The one they sell now is not as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
The Vanilla Fudge Twirl used to be my favorite but that changed along with the recipe. Some things are better left alone!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote