Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We simply used the term socket to refer to a "socket wrench". (e.g. "pass me a 10mm socket")

A ring spanner is the same as a spanner except with closed ends where we lived.
And indeed everywhere in the UK. I must have been writing on autopilot.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #82
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
A minor one: "Right" (in response to a statement by another speaker). It turns out that "right" in this context is not a term of agreement, it's just an acknowledgement that he's heard what you've said and wants to move on.

"I guess my joke about the Queen might have been in bad taste. Still--do you agree with the basic point of it?"
"Right. Grab that tyre and spanner from the boot and let's put this wheel on, or you can sit on that kerb and wait to get hit by a lorry."
Sorry Sam, I don't recall your joke about the Queen. However, it did remind me of another British term, lavvy, used in many areas, and this spitting image skit following a story where a special toilet was provided for a visit by the Queen in case she needed to "spend a penny"

Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

As for spanner, I learned it from a bad pun in an obscure Arthur C. Clarke story.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Sorry Sam, I don't recall your joke about the Queen.
Sorry, I was just making up an example conversation. I've learned (from the experience of others) not to make jokes about the royal family. I think perhaps Brits can do it among themselves, but jokes from a Yank are a different kettle of fish. Which is just as it should be.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #85
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Sorry, I was just making up an example conversation. I've learned (from the experience of others) not to make jokes about the royal family. I think perhaps Brits can do it among themselves, but jokes from a Yank are a different kettle of fish. Which is just as it should be.
No worries. I think the Royals themselves have a pretty good sense of humor.

Here is Prince Charles reading the weather forecast on BBC Scotland earlier this year.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #86

Being late to the thread, I'm surprised that "rubber" (British for eraser) hasn't been mentioned. When we lived in Europe, DS was in preschool and primary school in an international school with a curriculum based on British English. So he naturally called them "rubbers". We get back to the USA and he's in 3rd grade - needless to say his teacher was shocked when he asked for a rubber on the first day of school!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

One more

Randy = Horney

Being there as a young single man - I was in tune with this one
Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

I like dodgy.

And trainers, the sneakers that the young undercover detectives in the British mysteries I read are always pulling on when they go to the council estates Alan mentioned earlier.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I like the one "proper." When they moved there a little over year ago the first indication that five year old grandaughter was being indoctrinated was her use of "let me have a go" instead of "let me have a turn." As an aside, I do think the UK living is finally getting to the mother and father; aside from the confines and difficulties of London living, it's no fun having your 3 and 5 year olds correct your pronunciations!
My mother-in-law has an English degree and spent several years teaching elementary school. Years later my in-laws moved to Hawaii to watch their granddaughter grow up. One of the first things my MIL experienced was her 1st-grade GD showing off her pidgin skills to her kupuna, li' dat yah?

Grandma's reaction led to a private grownups conversation that admonitions about "propah English" were not in keeping with the Hawaii Renaissance. But for the rest my MIL's time here, when she heard pidgin she'd automatically assume that the speaker was illiterate, slow of comprehension, and deaf. She'd then speak much more precisely, slower, and louder. She never did understand why she got such bad customer service all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Randy = Horney
One of my college classmates was named Randy, which turned out to be short for "Virginia". Never saw that naming convention again.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

I grew up in the British Commonwealth, so they are perfectly familiar to me and many are a regular part of my vocabulary (the racier ones I got from British sitcoms ). Returning to the States as a teenager I had to make several adjustments. When you were mad, it meant you were angry, not crazy. You sat on your bottom or buns, not your bum. Hood, trunk, renting a car, etc., etc.

I use "autumn" all the time. I guess I didn't get the memo.......
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What does it really mean

Quite nice = I like, it's good
Quite nice, really = meh, nothing special
Quite nice, really, if you like that sort of thing = don't bother me again with this
"Not half bad" meant something was actually better than expected.

Most of the compliments I heard were back-handed. Not in keeping with British colonial tradition to straight out say something nice.

Make that: "Not half bad, eh?"
Probably made in the response to the Texan lady who drawled that it had been such a gawgeous afternoon.