Broken hip and arm

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had an accident at work last week Monday and suffered a displaced hip fracture and broken arm(both left). Made it thru surgery ok and spent a few days in the hospital. Now I am in a rehab facility. To make matters worse, my Dr says I will very likely need hip replacement in my 50's which means I would probably also need one in my 70's if I live that long. I would like to have my own thread but if someone would like to provide links to similar threads that would be helpful as well.

Ouch! So sorry to hear this. :(

Sorry to hear about this. From your past posts, I am guessing you still have about ten years to 50's.

I am currently debating replacement, for arthritis, at 61. When I expressed the same concern (getting another one 20-25 years later) the Doc said the 25 year life is really the low end for most patients, and that is now, in 10 years there could be vast improvements.

Hang in there.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
What did you fall off of?

I fell off of a stand-up forklift at my new job. About 4 feet onto cement. I guess I should feel lucky I landed on my arm and hip instead of my head. My head never touched the ground.

So sorry to hear about your accident , My Mom had a knee replacement at 64 and never had any problem with it . It lasted 35 years .

Aaron!!! I am so sorry to hear of your accident. Thank goodness you are in a rehab facility where they can take care of you while you heal and get better. Don't worry about your 50's and 70's right now - - just focus on getting as much better as possible so that you are in less pain and can do things again.

By the time you are in your 50's, they may have hip replacements that last longer than they do now.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about the accident. I don't know anything about hip replacements but yoga has helped me with other types of joint problems.

Aaron,

Sorry to hear of your accident. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Who knows what medical miracles they'll have in 15-30 years...stem cells?... nanotech replacement parts?....:confused:

omni

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope your recovery is fast and comfortable.

Sorry to hear about your accident. At 26, as a pedestrian in a crosswalk, I was hit by a car and, among other injuries, suffered a similar hip fracture (mine was on my right side). The orthopedist who repaired my hip gave me the same warning about likely needing a hip replacement, but it will be 32 years in May with no further problem so far. Our docs are speaking generally, probabilistically; of course they don't know what will happen to us individually, decades in the future. Like W2R says, don't worry about that now. Rehab can be tough, focus on that. Good luck!

Sorry to hear about this, Aaron! That sucks!

Positive thoughts towards a good recovery.

Ouch! Sorry to hear, but glad it was not a head hit!

I had a hip replaced at 65 years old. Piece of cake compared to a knee replacement. I was home in two days walking around the neighborhood. Easy job if done from the front (Anterior Procedure). You have a long way to go before you MIGHT need a hip.

Well, that sucks :(. Agree with above to focus on getting better now and not even thinking about the possibility of a hip replacement down the road. Get those bones healed and work the rehab. Hope you feel better and keep us posted on your progress.

I played tennis this morning on my replaced knee with a buddy who had both hips replaced last year. Don't worry about the joint replacements. It/they will work out. Focus on recovery for now.

All the best.

Hi Aaron. Sorry about the accident. I suffered fx of my pelvis through my hip joint in 1961. It healed well, and I never even had reason to remember the crash until 2013 when I started to have pain in the joint. In early 2014 I got the same procedure that Aja had, anterior hip replacement. It healed almost overnight, and I was walking without even a cane within 2 weeks.

So even if you do need a hip eventually, it may be a very long time away.

Ha

Best wishes for speedy healing, Aaron! One more anecdote on hip replacements - DSIL had one about 30 years ago to correct a congenital issue and it's still going strong. So just worry about getting back into shape now and deal with the future if/when it happens.

Sorry to hear about that fall and subsequent surgery and recovery. As others said, just work on getting better now.

Hope your bones mend fast, and strong!

In my sample size of younger people (<50) who have had hip replacements, the only ones who needed a "redo" at the 15 year mark or so were obese. One friend is now 55 on his second set of knees. He finally "found religion" and lost the weight.

If you are obese or overweight, lose weight. You are young, so you'll put more strain on it than a 60 yr. old who has theirs last 35 years. Remember, they've slowed down.

Sorry about the accident. I hope your pain is under control.

I had a fracture 14 years ago and have an appointment for a new knee in June. As others have pointed out, there's no way to know if you will or will not reach the point of needing a new knee. The good news is that joint prosthetics are lasting longer than they used and surgery to replace them is getting better too, so whatever happens in the future will be different from what they are doing now. You'll cross that bridge if and when you come to it.

Back
Top Bottom