Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about your scrape. I'm sure it happens to the best of us.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Rich, so sorry to hear you scraped your baby (RV)! I would vote for getting it fixed at a good body shop. It's only going to cost you $500 or less and then the aggravation will only be a memory.

Also, a good friend at w*rk bought a Honda Fit and absolutely loves it. It carries a phenomenal amount, apparently, and gets great mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I don't like the thought of getting too familiar with my own sewage
At last! Someone who agrees with me. Alan, that is one of several reasons why I will never buy an RV. There are many ways to spend my time and money that I find more appealing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At last! Someone who agrees with me. Alan, that is one of several reasons why I will never buy an RV. There are many ways to spend my time and money that I find more appealing.
Wait! There is a basic "failure to communicate" here. "We" don't have any desire to play in sewage and, in fact, get no closer to it really than people in stick houses do when cleaning that receptacle in the bathroom. Nobody would refuse to live in a house because the bathroom was indoors, I wouldn't think.

In any event, it is not something that takes up an inordinate amount of time -- same as in a "normal" living arrangement.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

this thread is useless without pics !!

sorry to hear bout the dent!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
"We" don't have any desire to play in sewage and, in fact, get no closer to it...

When my nieces saw our RV, and I demonstrated how we can have 3 beds, a kitchen, a refrigerator, a microwave, a stove, hot water, own generator, AND a bathroom, both a 10-yr old and a 25-yr old asked "But, but, where does IT go?".

I should, but couldn't keep a straight face when saying "It goes out on the ground!". Anyone who has taken train travel knows what I am talking about.

Anyhoo, there were millions before me who could do this, and I am sure I will be able to. And if I can do it, W2R, you Frank too can do it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Like Alan, my response concerning sewage in RV's is,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'll take your word for it

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Wait! There is a basic "failure to communicate" here. "We" don't have any desire to play in sewage and, in fact, get no closer to it really than people in stick houses do when cleaning that receptacle in the bathroom. Nobody would refuse live in a house because the bathroom was indoors, I wouldn't think.
Well, actually this was a real concern that people had at first! Some folks thought having an in-house bathroom (toilet) rather than the good ole outhouse was seriously unsanitary!

Yep, if you want to enjoy RVing, you have to get over this hurdle. It's not that big a deal, but if it keeps you from RVing - so be it.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep, if you want to enjoy RVing, you have to get over this hurdle. It's not that big a deal, but if it keeps you from RVing...
...we'll have less crowded campsites?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Regarding RIT's mishap and about maneuvering through state or Forest Service land, I don't see class A owners being able to do it. I probably did the right thing by getting a class C. For me an A is just too big, and a B feels small.

I am writing this down to see if after logging some travel I would change my mind and wish I bought something smaller or bigger. In reading blogs, I have seen people move both ways, to a bigger RV as well downsizing. Some hardy boondockers with a van camper, which does not even look comfortable to me compared to a B, wished they had a truck camper so they can tackle really rough roads. I guess there are no right or wrong RVs, and one has to know his/her travel style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...we'll have less crowded campsites?
Just as a check on the mechanics of planning an RV trek, I looked into beach-side parks ran by cities or states along the West Coast. My, they are booked solid for several months. It looks like impromptu trips may not work out like one might think.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

May I show you my mishap from the winter before last?

Look up Martha!

More than three thousand dollars later (actually, $500 from the deductible) it looked like new.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I do remember reading about this (I spent too much time here!). It was caused by a roof overhang, right? (Pat myself on back for having some memory facility left). As I have often written, I do careful study of things I have no experiences in, to learn from others mistakes and not for schadenfreude reasons.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rich, Sorry to hear about your mishap. We have all had them. Ours was a lesson in how to secure an awning early on. I learned to always be sure one side is much lower than the other and the front is much lower than the part attached to the camper. I also use awning stakes now. A storm came up one night on our third trip and filled the awning with water. It collapsed breaking the supports and retractor. $800 later and two hours to put the new one on I would know better next time.

Also always carry a spare and a good jack and wrench to change a flat. Did that in Utah this summer. The tire blew going down the interstate but I had prepared for this and was able to pull over and change it with no trouble.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for the accident Rich. Don't feel too bad. My old neighbor that never drove anything bigger than a large car, bought a 40' coach.The dealer must have sensed that he would'nt be able to drive it offered to deliver it to his house. My neighbor decided to get his feet wet right away. He pulled up to the street from the lot and made quite a hard right turn into a parked car on the corner and then dragged the coach down the entire length catching every compartment in the process.Hows that for christing your new toy. I didn't know that you bought a new rv. What did you get. Best of future luck with it, Jerry
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Regarding RIT's mishap and about maneuvering through state or Forest Service land, I don't see class A owners being able to do it. I probably did the right thing by getting a class C. For me an A is just too big, and a B feels small.
But many Class C's are 8.5 ft (102 inches) wide - the max width allowed. Same as a Class A with the slides in. They are just usually not quite as tall and not as long. But many of the hitting stuff issues has to do with the width, although the turning corners stuff is definitely harder in a longer Class A.

Audrey
Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
May I show you my mishap from the winter before last?

Look up Martha!

More than three thousand dollars later (actually, $500 from the deductible) it looked like new.
Ouch.

Did they raise your premiums?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There is so much on the Internet and I have learned a lot there. There are also particular things about my RV that I need to find out for myself. I have time before our first travel, and I like to do research on the Web. I may still need help later, but I will be more prepared, like bringing my own leveling blocks, knowing to build up some "head pressure" in the black tank before dumping, etc...

Just learn the "ice cubes in the black tank" trick too, but let's not scare RV'er wannabes here :-)

PS. Oh, I forgot to add that despite all the preparations, we will not head out to Alaska on our first trip, but try some places closer to home first. There are places in AZ I have not been to anyway.
NW-B,
How about a weekend trip to Kartchner Caverns State Park- they have very acessible RV friendly hookups, the cave is incredible, and it's far enough away that you should be able to have a good shakedown cruise without worrying about the weather, like a trip up to the Rim ... maybe a side trip in the toad to Bisbee or Tombstone.

Just be careful, my brother's maiden RV cruise involved dragging the "turd tube" behind the RV in rush hour traffic on the 1-5 in Southern California- he was amazed at how friendly everyone that passed him was, all waving to him in his shiny new RV...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Just be careful, my brother's maiden RV cruise involved dragging the "turd tube" behind the RV in rush hour traffic on the 1-5 in Southern California- he was amazed at how friendly everyone that passed him was, all waving to him in his shiny new RV...
Oh no! :r ofl:
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

So Rich, can't you just paint on a little rustoleum or something and leave the dent be for now? Seems like you will get a lot of those little suckers over the RV's life. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to spruce them all up at once before you sell?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #59
gone traveling

RIT, as a medical professional, you should be well aware of the proper course of treatment for minor scrapes and abrasions:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auto-inset.jpg (38.5 KB, 53 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
RIT, as a medical professional, you should be well aware of the proper course of treatment for minor scrapes and abrasions:
Yeah, take two aspirin and mail me the $100.