Build quotes for new 2 car garage

Interesting thought. If I just put foam panels between the studs, there will be a bunch of thermal bridges. But your idea covers that.

It's a big DIY job but I have time to figure out what I want to do, and I can eat the elephant one bite at a time.

Foam panels are expensive. Once you do the math for similar R values and take into account your time fitting them and sealing the gaps, paying for spray foam might be a worthwhile investment.

For example, I calculated that it would cost me about $1200 for material to insulate the crawl space at our 3-seaon cabin. But that would involve crawling underneath and working in an 18" - 20" crawl space. I don't know how long it would take but I'm sure several days at least.

I got a quote of $2100 for closed cell spray foam. At that price I'm not going to waste my time crawling around for a few days to do a job that at best still is not as good as spray foam which fills every little nook and cranny.

....Since you don't have conventional 16 inch or 24 inch spacing on walls, using traditional fiberglass or rockwool is going to be more work. I would go with the rigid foam panels covered with OSB if DIY.

Good point... given how wide the wall cavaties are conventional insulation would be a tough install. Perhaps foam board fastened with an adhesive of some sort and then OSB on top spanning the "studs".

The space between the wall studs varies slightly, but is about 53" - 55". So 4' x 8' seems a little problematic. I don't really want to frame out the whole interior for drywall or osb.

Not going to heat or cool it, but I think it will get overly hot in summer with strings of 100 degree days. Winter is mild, the lowest temps I saw were about 27F, early in the AM. Not too worried about winter temps, and it tends to be arid here.

With no interior finish we are looking at a bit north of $30k. Makes it the third most expensive thing we have ever bought, after 2 houses. I think I will wait a few months and see how it goes in the cold and heat. There are plenty of other things that need doing.

The space between the wall studs varies slightly, but is about 53" - 55". So 4' x 8' seems a little problematic. I don't really want to frame out the whole interior for drywall or osb. ...

What is the height? Could you put 1"x 3" strapping (or perhaps something a little sturdier) horizontally top, bottom and every 2' or so, fill the wall cavities with Rockwool or foamboard, and then fasten OSB to the horizontals?

If you do that and go with foamboard you could glue the foamboard in before you put in the horizontals.

The walls are 9' high. Peak of the roof is about 12.5' on the inside. Horizontal boards to attach osb to sounds like the way to go.

If it were me and you are not heating/cooling it. I would leave as is no R factor would be necessary. If wanting to hang on walls I would use your support beams and fasten wood horizontal across them for supporting hanging purposes. Just me though. Save some $ too.

+2. I would leave it bare until such time that I decided to heat it.

Back
Top Bottom