Burning bridges with previous employers !

Hamlet: That went beyond mischief because other people were harmed. The cleaning supply company particularly.

A brick through the window and absconding with the printer is a felony which would have been difficult to expunge. Now if he had been the last person out of the office, removed the printer with a note that said that when he was paid in cash for his past due wages they could have the printer back I doubt that the police would intervene.

I was layed off - twice.

Nobody asked or even cared about my opinion.

heh heh heh - when you need an engineer hire one. When you don't - get rid of him/her. :greetings10:

I've also been laid off twice, and didn't vent on the way out. Since I've stayed in the same industry in the same town, I've crossed paths with many of my former co-workers/bosses over the years. You never know who you might run into down the road, someone that might offer you a job, a reference, whatever.

He was never a person that was particularly concerned with the consequences of his actions.

Hamlet: That went beyond mischief because other people were harmed. The cleaning supply company particularly.

A brick through the window and absconding with the printer is a felony which would have been difficult to expunge. Now if he had been the last person out of the office, removed the printer with a note that said that when he was paid in cash for his past due wages they could have the printer back I doubt that the police would intervene.

i felt like flipping my managers the bird and doing a cartwheel into the elevator, but I lacked the cajones to do so. I think I've written here about how a slice of pizza was the straw that broke the camel's back, so I'll spare those details. http://www.early-retirement.org/for...eeking-general-advice-and-comments-56991.html

In hindsight, I am glad I didn't, as it was mentioned by my boss, my manager and my HR rep that I could return if I ever changed my mind. And my boss even offered up helping me to find a job outside of the company I left.

I was fortunate in my "wo*king days" to only have a few employers over many years.

That being the case, I never burned bridges (even though I had a few nasty thoughts over the years).

For me, it was the simple case of a few things:

- Regardless of what I may say, it would not improve the organization.
- You never know when you would meet a former employee in the future (and they may be in a position to affect your current employment).
- In reality, it's only my opinion that would provide feedback. You know what they say about "opinions", don't you? Something to the effect of "opinons are like assho***"; everybody has one (or more :LOL: )...

A burned bridge might've affected my payout...so I smiled and, in a nice voice, told them where to mail the checks.

Never a good idea to burn bridges of any kind, IMO; negatives outweigh positives

Sounds justified. But just telling them off when they called you in your situation is a mild case of burning bridges compared to overtly going out of your way to bad-mouth them.
I can't envision a situation where I would ever publicly bad mouth an employer.

Back
Top Bottom