Join Early Retirement Today

Bush's Jackson square Katrina speech
Old 09-16-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bush's Jackson square Katrina speech

Hmmm...my prior post just disappeared on me...but feeling truculent so I'll repost...
Anybody listen to it?* Turning federal land into private property?* Who thinks it's really gonna stay with people on federal assistance?* Listened to it on the radio.* Anybody else see wolves salivating in the background?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Bush's Jackson square Katrina speech
Old 09-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I heard PART of it, but couldn't really develop an opinion - there was just nothing to it aside from generalities.

David Brooks (conservative columnist) said the same thing -- discussion on The Newshour with Jim Lehrer pretty much concluded that the speech wasn't specific at all, didn't ask for the kinds of sacrifices the American people might be expected to undertake in the midst of war AND natural disaster, and mentioned nothing about prioritizing the tremendous costs we're up against.

Bush's comments today confirm that -- he's ruled out a tax raise or even a rollback of the tax breaks already in place, saying that this massive effort with "cost whatever it costs," and that he'll look elsewhere in the budget for the $200 Billion we'll need.

I'm going to look under the sofa cushions for spare change myself, but I don't expect it to pay the mortgage...

It's wait and see for the time-being... but not looking good absent a detailed plan...

Caroline

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My crystal ball sees INFLATION in our future. :P
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
I'm going to look under the sofa cushions for spare change myself, but I don't expect it to pay the mortgage...*
Then clearly you don't understand the Republican financing plan...you don't look under the cushions to get money to pay the mortgage...you take out a bigger mortgage to pay the mortgage...
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had an LBJ flashback myself. Wow. Throw money around like that. And you can bet the Lousisana, ahem, crooks contractors and crooks politicians will know what to do with it. I want some of it myself. Just don't want to do any manual labor to get it.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd
Then clearly you don't understand the Republican financing plan...you don't look under the cushions to get money to pay the mortgage...you take out a bigger mortgage to pay the mortgage...
And your point is?

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #7

The money press is warming up. Only way it will ever be payed for.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #8

Why do I get the feeling my past SS contributions are going to pay for it?
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Vaporware......................

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Well, there you are...*

There's a great deal of talk of rebuilding, getting people back into their homes and their jobs and beyond that, ending some of the inequities that left so many people so poor they couldn't even leave town.*

But if we're going to continue to prosecute a war against terror at current spending levels, pay for billions in Katrina damages, and keep taxes where they are (plus cut the inheritance tax), then the money has to come from spending programs.* Bush has said as much.

So... what programs?* Cutting infrastructure leaves us less safe than we were before -- San Francisco's mayor spoke last night about the freeways, buildings, and bridges left unreinforced 16 years after the Loma Prieta earthquake -- without enough money, this type of neglect will continue across the country.

But cutting Social Security has a proportionally larger effect on the poor than on the rich.* If he cuts social programs, same thing.*

It's starting to look like we're going to give with one hand and take away with the other, which leaves the misery level pretty much the same -- no change over the long run.*

Any of the folks on this forum who crunch numbers every day and know their retirement income down to the last penny have any idea how to pay for the war, the occupation, the hurricane, the infrastructure, social security, and social programs at the same time? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Seriously, I would not want to be in anything long term fixed (except maybe TIPS) right now. They can lie with the inflation numbers all they want, a cup of coffee is going to cost ten bucks pretty soon (instead of $5 :P ). What's gold trading at right now? Hooray for my fixed mortgage!

EDIT: Carline, very good point, and I think a middle class squeeze via inflation will be the path we take. Just get those printing presses fired up and make more money! So what if another 5% fall below the poverty line!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Any of the folks on this forum who crunch numbers every day and know their retirement income down to the last penny have any idea how to pay for the war, the occupation, the hurricane, the infrastructure, social security, and social programs at the same time? If so, I'd love to hear about it.
Caroline, it's very simple. Just "charge it" to our grandchildren.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #13

Step one: Find someone competent to oversee the project.* The NOLA mayor and LA Gov do not come to mind.* Let this group figure out what they need the money for in some detail.* Show this list to the American people.* This act alone may generate a solution all by itself.
Step two: Recall the highway bill for a pork picking session.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:01 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Better yet, recall the ENTIRE federal budget...

Bet there are "brazilians" of dollars of pork in there!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Any of the folks on this forum who crunch numbers every day and know their retirement income down to the last penny have any idea how to pay for the war, the occupation, the hurricane, the infrastructure, social security, and social programs at the same time?* If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Caroline
It is simple. Cut taxes for all Americans to 1%. The economy will be so stimulated that we will be floating in so much money that we will be able to afford a couple of more wars and still be able to endure another tax cut with ease. That is my very favorite economic fantacy theory.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole
That is my very favorite economic fantacy theory.
At what point does the downward trickle become a flood? What if the tax rate was lowered even further, say to negative five percent, and the govt started sending us money instead of the other way around?

Hey, I'm a little slow to catch on, but isn't that quote supposed to be "Hope SPRINGS eternal?" Or is that cognitive dissonance?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #17

rumour has it that Bush was recently asked what his stance was on Roe vs. Wade. His response was "I really don't care how people get out of New Orleans."
Old 09-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
At what point does the downward trickle become a flood?* What if the tax rate was lowered even further, say to negative five percent, and the govt started sending us money instead of the other way around?
I didn't say 0% because the simple math only approaches 0%. But you raise a good issue. I don't think any of the wizzards have ever looked at taxes if approached from the other side of 0% (leaving zero, not approaching). Perhaps you have hit upon the reason no win-win tax trategy has been found.

Quote:
Hey, I'm a little slow to catch on, but isn't that quote supposed to be "Hope SPRINGS eternal?"
Feels more loomy than springy to me.

Quote:
*Or is that cognitive dissonance?
yes.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote