Join Early Retirement Today

Business Trip to Dallas - Anything to try?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv
Business Trip to Dallas - Anything to try?

I'm flying into Dallas next week for some business meeting. I'll be staying at a hotel near I-635 and 35E (seems like a few minutes east of the Dallas/ft Worth air port). I'm not familiar at all with the area or where I am even at.

Just wondering if there was anything in that area, or anything specific I should try? Perhaps a local/traditional cuisine for the area? Steaks? I'm not sure. I'll most likely be busy all week, but hopefully at night, we might have some more fun things to do/see. Any suggestions?

Maybe a few of us might chip in for a rental, or we might do taxi. Are there any "tourist" traps for taxis or anything? In DC I know they try to gouge tourists for taxi fare all the time. Tourists will never know and when they do find out from their local friends, they didn't know the taxi number or company.
vvsonikvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Business Trip to Dallas - Anything to try?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You won't go wrong with Morton's or Ruth's for steaks. I've eaten at both and enjoyed my meals.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

skip the steaks. When you are in the Texas or anywhere in the Gulf region the real treat is that great gulf seafood.

Try some of those big gulf prawns or the oysters. If you are a little braver try some of the crawfish.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
skip the steaks. When you are in the Texas or anywhere in the Gulf region the real treat is that great gulf seafood.

Try some of those big gulf prawns or the oysters. If you are a little braver try some of the crawfish.
Nah, don't skip the steaks....OR the seafood! Do BOTH!!! (Morton's was real good!)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, for shopping amd babe watching, try The Galleria, a few miles east on I-635, also know as LBJ Freeway.

For nightlife, go a bit further east on LBJ, then exit Greenville Avenue south. Or, for the younger and more adventurous fare, Deep Ellum has clubs, bars, and restaurants. Just east of downtown, on Elm, Main, and Commerce Streets. Also, just north of the aforementioned Galleria, is Addison. Look for Beltline Road.

South of 635/35 on 35, exit Walnut Hill Lane or Royal Lane for "gentlemen's entertainment"... :P

North on I-35 several miles, a fantastic Mexican restaurant called "La Hacienda Ranch".

Of course there's always Southfork Ranch...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #6

If you're going to Elm, might as well visit the Texas School Depository. See where JFK was shot. There's an X in the street, and you can go to the grassy knoll, etc. Touristy but also historical.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have the time, and transportation, Gillies (south of downtown Dallas) or Billy Bobs (Ft. Worth) for a Texas sized bar. If you happen to catch them when they have the special shows entertainment (usually a Friday or Saturday night) you can see big name stars, and you can ride the bull between acts.
If you want to combine the historical already mentioned with steaks, after the Depository view, a couple of blocks away is the West End, which has some interesting restuarants and sites to see. Bob's Chop Block has good steaks there.
From your hotel area, if you go north on the tollway, get off at Frankford, and on the East side of the access road is Three Forks - an excellant steak dining experience.
As mentioned by HWFR on Beltline road in Addison, there is Fogo de Chao, or Texas de Brazil, both are steak houses that they just keep bringing the meat until you cry Uncle. Salad bars are pretty nice also.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Lived in Dallas for 40 years. The joke told often around here is that Dallas is a great place to have a career and raise a family, but terrible for entertaining out of town relatives. You have to have a rental car.

The art museums in Dallas and Fort Worth would be worth the effort. There are two in Fort Worth, the Kimbell and the Amon Carter. Ditto the recommendation above re JFK museum and surrounding area.

If you like Mexican food, this is mecca. Something different and close by every night. All good. I like Mercado Juarez over by where you are staying.
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #9

I second Mercado Juarez. It's west of I-35E on Northwest Highway (loop 12/ spur 348). There is also a good clump of restaurants right at the intersection of the highways.

If you go into Fort Worth, know that the Stock Show is going on right now. Downtown Fort Worth is an okay place to hang out...the Reatta rooftop bar is pricey but has a good view.

I haven't been getting out much since I moved back to the area, so I came to this thread to pick up some tips myself.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Nah, don't skip the steaks....OR the seafood! Do BOTH!!! (Morton's was real good!)
Well Morton's does serve a great steak, however that's kind of cheating for a real Texas meal. Morton's doesn't use Texas beef. Morton's uses beef out of Chicago.

So like I posted, I would skip the steaks and get on with the gulf seafood.

Where I live (in SoCal) I can also get a Morton's steak. But the seafood out here is way way below anything from the gulf.

So if I was going to be in Texas for a few days I'd get the good seafood while I could and save the steaks for another trip.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just were in DFW over Christmas. As dt123 said, we really enjoyed the museums in Dallas. There was a Van Gogh exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art which was very impressive.

We also went to the Hatsuthep (one of the few female pharoahs) exhibit at the Kimbel Museum in Ft Worth.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
We also went to the Hatsuthep (one of the few female pharoahs) exhibit at the Kimbel Museum in Ft Worth.
FYI, the Hatshepsut exhibit ended Dec 31. I didn't make it. I should have...oh well.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv

Wow. Some nice suggestions... This isnt the longest trip. I don't know if I will be able to travel too much. I arrive Monday 4pm and leave Thursday 4pm. We have meetings/conference all day until 4:30 and on Thursday we're done at 12pm.

I should have been more specific... Maybe I can hide and not leave for another few days. I have to be back on Friday back in the regular office... If i flew in with another closer co-worker I definitely would have chipped in to stay for the weekend and explore...

I'm at the Holiday Inn Select , 75234 on LBJ Freeway... the most would probably be 30mins - 1 hr away for dinner at night (if we even leave the vicinity). I don't know whats in the immediate area... Perhaps we'll be entertaining with the clients...

Mortons/Ruth Chris, they don't seem to be "Texas" specials... I have them here in the East Coast, DC and Philly... Also, I'm not sure I can do that price range... Though I should splurge once or so on this trip... We do get per diem, but that has to cover my breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

On a side note, I'm the younger/youngest of my entire group and all the guests of the conference/meeting... If that makes a difference. So I'll most likely be following the "crowd" but will make some good suggestions...
vvsonikvv is offline   Reply With Quote