Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Remember when Business Week would applaud Chainsaw Al's techniques? Neutron Jack? Enron, the power-distribution company of the future?

I think what I object to the most about Business Week is their cheerleading. Today they're applauding these private-equity execs for their bold thinking, and tomorrow they'll be picking over the post-mortem ashes and telling us how far over the line these people went.

Or, in the case of guys like Welch, hiring them as tutors columnists...
Forget the article on private equity, I'm canceling my subscription because the new format sucks.

It looks like The Economist and they took away everything that isn't hard business news. If the comments on their website are representative it looks like I'm not the only one.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Forget the article on private equity, I'm canceling my subscription because the new format sucks.
The ads are bigger and the print is even smaller. I'm not that presbyopic but I was squinting with my 2.00s and holding up the 1.75s for an occasional boost.

Every time they change their format, people bitch & moan and carry on as if the world has ended. (Well, I guess it has for me.) Yet they never seem to reduce their prices or need to do anything else to attract more revenue. I think they've attracted more revenue this time by giving more space to the advertisers...

I've been a subscriber since the late 1970s. I don't think they care, and I don't think they have to.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The ads are bigger and the print is even smaller. I'm not that presbyopic but I was squinting with my 2.00s and holding up the 1.75s for an occasional boost.
Just be thankful you arent raising a baby right now. All baby product instructions and labels are written in 2 point fonts for 20 year old eyes. I've had to break out the magnifying glass a couple of times to figure some stuff out. Once I had to use the little embedded ultra magnifier lens in the magnifying glass to read the serial number off the crib to register it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Just be thankful you arent raising a baby right now. All baby product instructions and labels are written in 2 point fonts for 20 year old eyes.
Yeah, I've noticed that. But I've been thankful at not raising a baby for over a decade now!

I wonder how grandparents feel about this 2-point-font trend...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, my dad hands it to me and says "What does this say?".

I guess *i'm* the magnifying glass.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote