Buy a Real Spare Tire?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone replace their toy spare tire with a real one? The payoff would come if you have a blowout in a very remote location. With a real tire, you could avoid driving a long distance at low speed.

OTOH, that's a pretty unlikely scenario.

Sometimes a full size spare won't fit in the location allotted to a mini spare. Otherwise, a good idea - used to be an option on some new cars.

Does a full size tire fit in the spare tire well in most cars?

No... most trunks are not designed for the full sized spare and would take up most of your space...

I don't plan for something that happens less than once every 25 years... and I have never had a flat where it would be of any benefit... I have had a number of flats, just close to a place to get it fixed. Never a blowout...

I think it would fit.

The local tire place said a new wheel would cost $50.

My temporary tire is now 10 years old, so technically, it should be replaced.

So, let's say the next time I get a set of tires, I buy a new wheel, and get five tires instead of four. If I rotate the spare into the mix every time I do the rotation, the five tires will last longer, so there's zero additional tire cost. I'll only have to do four jack-ups per rotation instead of five.

In that case the only disadvantages are $50 initial cost, insignificantly more weight, and less space in the spare tire compartment.

So, let's say the next time I get a set of tires, I buy a new wheel, and get five tires instead of four. If I rotate the spare into the mix every time I do the rotation, the five tires will last longer, so there's zero additional tire cost.
How many years do you estimate you will go before needing a new set of tires? If the response is more than 6 years or so, I'd be concerned about age deterioration (yes, both the tires and you :) ).

A few months ago I was getting a new battery installed at Wally World and wandered around the tire racks reading date codes while I waited. Even though the store is less than three years old, some of their "new" tires were made four years earlier.

I've made it a practice to refuse to purchase tires more than six months old.

Al,
see if there are any junkyards around. When my FIL lost a spare in his pickup (the holding cable corroded) I went to a local pull-a-part place and got a wheel with tire for $13.

Overeat and you can get a spare tire for free (I hear beer is good for this) :dance:

I think I would stick with the space saver spare. IMO, its just as good as a full size spare in the rare instance of a flat tire. (i would not think a space saver would need to be replaced because its 10 years old unless it has a problem) Also, I would not want to sacrifice trunk space.

I think it would fit.

The local tire place said a new wheel would cost $50.

My temporary tire is now 10 years old, so technically, it should be replaced.

So, let's say the next time I get a set of tires, I buy a new wheel, and get five tires instead of four. If I rotate the spare into the mix every time I do the rotation, the five tires will last longer, so there's zero additional tire cost. I'll only have to do four jack-ups per rotation instead of five.

In that case the only disadvantages are $50 initial cost, insignificantly more weight, and less space in the spare tire compartment.

You would have to check this out Al. Just had my tires rotated yesterday. If you are familiar with steel belted radials, you should never switch tires from side to side. The only recommended rotation is front-to-back and back-to-front every 5k to 6k miles. Then repeat the same rotation. Todays tires will give you 40-50k miles at least. There is always the disclaimer "depending on your driving habits".

Last edited:
I think I would stick with the space saver spare. IMO, its just as good as a full size spare in the rare instance of a flat tire. (i would not think a space saver would need to be replaced because its 10 years old unless it has a problem) Also, I would not want to sacrifice trunk space.

I'm already being told that I run the risk of rubber dry rot on my tires on a 2003. I only have 33k miles with plenty of tread left. I'd imagine the same goes for a space saver tire too.

I'm already being told that I run the risk of rubber dry rot on my tires on a 2003. I only have 33k miles with plenty of tread left. I'd imagine the same goes for a space saver tire too.

Wouldn't this same issue apply to the mini-spare making it more likely to fail?

Dimsumkid said:

Thanks! I'll check DW's 2001 and see how it looks. Like everything on the web, I've found different advice. Some say that tires will deteriorate in 5 years whether or not they are driven on or not. Another says that a space saver in the trunk will last a long time because it's not being driven on or receiving uv rays.

I would stick with the emergency spare and then consider either putting a 12 vdc emergency air pump or a can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk. These will get you going for a leak and you can avoid a roadside change altogether in most cases. If you have a blowout, call for a tow because you may have damaged the car brake, tie rods, etc and should have it inspected.

I had to get a full sized spare for the minivan when we started towing because towing on a donut won't work. Its a real nuisance because the tire fits nowhere except in the cargo area/trunk at the back of the van where it takes up valuable real estate. I would not bother with a full size spare for your purposes, Al.

I had to get a full sized spare for the minivan when we started towing because towing on a donut won't work. Its a real nuisance because the tire fits nowhere except in the cargo area/trunk at the back of the van where it takes up valuable real estate. I would not bother with a full size spare for your purposes, Al.

Could you fit the full-sized spare on the towed unit, and keep the regular spare (donut) in the mini-van?

Could you fit the full-sized spare on the towed unit, and keep the regular spare (donut) in the mini-van?

The trailer has its own spare that occupies the only vailable spot to put one.

By next spring I will have acquired a new tow vehicle which will likely have its own full size spare, so this will no longer be an issue.

The last time I needed to use my spare tire for my Grand Am, I was amazed at the what I read (can't remember if it was in the manual, or on the tire itself). If I recall correctly, the tire could be used for 800 km (500 miles) at 90 KPH (55 MPH).

500 miles before a tire shop is very remote, even for up here in Canada.

I would stick with the emergency spare and then consider either putting a 12 vdc emergency air pump or a can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk.

+1 on the air pump. Whether you get the regular spare or not, these are handy. IME, you are far more likely to have a slow leak (nail, screw, leaky air stem or leaky rim) than a full blow-out. With the small pump, you can get it pumped enough to make it to the tire place, and save the trouble of swapping out the spare. Jacking the car can also be dangerous alongside a road with a slope or soft surface.

In case of a blow out, it could help if you find the spare is low. They are cheap insurance.

-ERD50

So, let's say the next time I get a set of tires, I buy a new wheel, and get five tires instead of four. If I rotate the spare into the mix every time I do the rotation, the five tires will last longer, so there's zero additional tire cost. I'll only have to do four jack-ups per rotation instead of five..

You have to be careful how you do that on AWD cars - like my Forrester. The tires all need to have an equal amount of wear or it creates extra wear on the drivetrain.

Tire Tech Information - Matching Tires on Four-Wheel Drive and All-Wheel Drive Vehicles

DD

You have to be careful how you do that on AWD cars - like my Forrester. The tires all need to have an equal amount of wear or it creates extra wear on the drivetrain.

Tire Tech Information - Matching Tires on Four-Wheel Drive and All-Wheel Drive Vehicles

DD

Interesting link.... did not know... but I do not have a 4X4....

But, it states in the article that you should use the 5th tire if it is the same size...

"Rotating Tires
Because the front and rear tires of all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles perform different duties while accelerating, braking and cornering, tire rotation is important to even out, and maintain equivalent treadwear of all of the vehicle's tires to minimize potential driveline stresses.
If the vehicle is equipped with a matching road wheel and full-sized spare tire, they should be integrated into the vehicle's rotation pattern at the first tire rotation. This will allow all five of the vehicle's tires to share in the workload and wear at similar rates. In the event that a single tire is damaged and has to be removed from service, this will allow the tread depth equivalent spare tire to be used with the remaining three tires.
If the spare is not integrated into the vehicle's tire rotation pattern, it will not match the tread depth of the four worn tires on the ground when called into service. Additionally, if a single tire is replaced by the full size spare tire, hopefully the new replacement tire can remain as the spare tire until the other four tires have worn out and need to be replaced."

Don't know if any of you have run into this, but after using Fix A Flat on a tire that didn't stop the leak, I had a couple of tire repair places ask if I had it in there and they refused to work on the tire (Pep Boys and Wal Mart). Funny, I ended up getting it patched at another Wal-Mart location. Apparently it's a bad thing for some tire guys, they know it's really messy and one claimed it was cancer causing exposure for them.

Back
Top Bottom