Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Roomy is not the word I'd use for an Impreza, but my son likes his. I've driven it. Felt a little cramped compared to my Forester, but it can definitely be the right size for some. Smaller is easier to park for one thing.
aren't imprezas and foresters on the same body platform?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Didn't realize the Impreza costs that much, even top of the line. Have you double checked prices at Edmunds.com and kbb.com, places like that? If they've added on a bunch of bogus extras like undercoating, that's a padded MSRP and less of a discount than you think.
https://www.bestbuysubaru.com/new/Su...52fc9c2cfd.htm

I'm guessing a lower end impreza can be had for about $20K, but he wants all the bells and whistles...
Old 01-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

here's a cheaper one

https://www.bestbuysubaru.com/new/Su...5d19a99e06.htm
Old 01-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
That's one brand I know just about nothing about. I know they're big sellers in the far north for the AWD, but we seldom even see any Subaru's in the Deep South since we seldom see snow.

They get good reviews, especially from the prior owners. They're a very tight bunch of owners.
There are a few guys that got invoice price deals and drive them home. They just had to fly to Miami dealers one way to buy them.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
ah, that makes sense, that's one of the top of the line in that model

I drove one as a loaner last year, I actually liked it - really roomy and fun to drive

I think you are getting a good deal

He he he. Subaru owners are a cult.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
He he he. Subaru owners are a cult.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
...Roomy is not the word I'd use for an Impreza, but my son likes his. I've driven it. Felt a little cramped compared to my Forester, but it can definitely be the right size for some. Smaller is easier to park for one thing.
The duchess of redduck is 5'2" and weighs 104 pounds. So, the car seems to be a good size. And, yes, "easier to park" is a major plus.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
There are a few guys that got invoice price deals and drive them home. They just had to fly to Miami dealers one way to buy them.
Invoice doesn’t mean what it used to, sometimes it’s possible to buy below “invoice” nowadays. Dealers aren’t paid by manufacturers the same way they used to be when MSRP, Invoice and “hold backs” were the norm. All three have changed now. MSRP is completely meaningless now, I hope no one pays anything like that these days.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #29

Picked up at 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited. I used Costco but it was obvious from the start that their price quote was high, I found dealers Internet specials to be lower. Ended up paying about $2500 less than the quote I got from using Costco.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #30

The first reply in:
"The Impreza is not by any means a big ticket item for dealers, and the Costco price of $900 under invoice is genuinely where the bottom is. I've consulted my internet director, who is always willing to make a deal, but he's confirmed that's our limit."

Just for practice, I followed up on Big_Hitter's link to a dealer in Colorado. He seemed to be about $800 cheaper.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I shopped new Ford and GM pickups in December but didn't buy yet (maybe won't). My Costco price guarantee deal got me what's called "supplier" pricing which turned out to be thousands ( $$$$) more than what most dealers would give you if you walked in off the street.

Does Costco get a kickback from the car dealer if a member buys through their service?

Duck, good luck with the Subaru as they appear to be good cars. SIL has a WRX and it's a fun car.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

DW just bought a '18 Mini Countryman S AWD off the dealer lot. It was a BMW/Mini rep company car with 8K miles, full of electronic toys to the point of hilarity, leather, sunroof, etc. Sticker was a little over $40K and she paid $30K. Factory warranty was extended to IIRC four years with unlimited mileage. (Mileage limit on the paperwork says 99,999!)

I did a similar deal in the summer of '17 buying my Soob WRX. I just see no reason to buy brand new cars when saving significant money is so easy.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The first reply in:
"The Impreza is not by any means a big ticket item for dealers, and the Costco price of $900 under invoice is genuinely where the bottom is. I've consulted my internet director, who is always willing to make a deal, but he's confirmed that's our limit."

Just for practice, I followed up on Big_Hitter's link to a dealer in Colorado. He seemed to be about $800 cheaper.
get a quote from the colorado dealer - I've found that they are about the cheapest in the nation
Old 01-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The first reply in:

You might be able to use that to your advantage. In making the deal I mentioned earlier, I showed them an ad for a truck about 500 miles away. It was a major factor in getting them to lower the price further.

One gotcha on buying in another state - some states have different immersions requirements, so there are (on some vehicles) models built for all 50 states, etc. It's been so long I forget the particulars, but I was limited in the number of states I could select from because of that requirement. (I live in NY and the vehicle I found to price compare was in southwest PA, but I could not purchase a vehicle sold in Ohio as it would not meet NY (California) requirements.)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

In August DH & I purchased a new Subaru Forester. I obtained the Costco price from the area dealership (Costco has only one in the metro area for each manufacturer). I took that price to other dealerships (without showing the paperwork) and asked if they could do better .. and they did by a significant amount. It might have been the end of the model season or some other factor but honestly, you can do better.

I didn't want to invest more money than necessary so I opted for the version with cloth seats. There is a business in our area that reupholstered those seats for $1,500 which we included in the purchase.

We were offered 0% financing which included the reupholstering.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I shopped new Ford and GM pickups in December but didn't buy yet (maybe won't). My Costco price guarantee deal got me what's called "supplier" pricing which turned out to be thousands ( $$$$) more than what most dealers would give you if you walked in off the street.

Does Costco get a kickback from the car dealer if a member buys through their service?

Duck, good luck with the Subaru as they appear to be good cars. SIL has a WRX and it's a fun car.
This is x-plan pricing (for Ford). It is:
(Invoice - Invoice*0.4%) + $275 program fee + shipping charge, where the Invoice is Invoice w/o the shipping charge. (That is the 0.4% off of invoice does not include the destination/shipping charge.)

A-plan pricing is for Ford employee's. It is:
Invoice - Holdback - Advertising Fee + $275 program fee
where holdback = 3% of MSRP (I can't remember if MSRP in this calc that includes the destination charge or not.)

Z-plan is for retiree's, it is the same as A-plan.
D-plan is for dealer's and their employee's and family members: A-Plan + $100.

I believe GM also has a 3% hold back (they did as of 2016).

As Midpack mentions, Invoice is somewhat meaningless these days. The manufacturers can have special programs for dealers, e.g. $ volume bonus's and other ways of providing revenue to the dealer. In addition, many dealerships make much more on vehicle service than on sales.

Hope this helps.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #37
gone traveling

The Costco price is a no haggle price that can't be improved on. You may be better off trying to get the dealership to discount an additional $1000, so you end up buying from them instead of Costco. I think you will get better service at the time, and in the future if you buy from a dealership.

I have a 2017 Outback as a company car, and love it.

The best I can describe it is as follows;
Subaru sets the price on the car, Costco offers the car for that price plus $2000. The dealership may be able to sell that same car for that price plus $1000 if they do a big volume. This would save you $1000 for buying from the dealership.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Invoice doesn’t mean what it used to, sometimes it’s possible to buy below “invoice” nowadays. Dealers aren’t paid by manufacturers the same way they used to be when MSRP, Invoice and “hold backs” were the norm. All three have changed now. MSRP is completely meaningless now, I hope no one pays anything like that these days.
Invoice to some can come in many variations however the 2 guys that I know that picked up their Foresters at a tremendous price in all cash buy in Miami also treated themselves to a weekend in South Beach.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I ended up buying from a high-volume dealer with a fantastic reputation, offered a cash purchase which is when they offered a 0% car loan.

What I didn't know at the time was that the dealership, which was a multi-generation business, was being sold Sep 1 (I was shopping in August). There may have been some incentive for sales to book business before the sale closed.

When you buy through the Costco program I don't think you are buying from Costco. One incentive for me to continue to look is that their contract dealership was in the suburbs and I live in the city center. LONG drive.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

My sister just bought a 2019 Impreza 2 days ago. She said the list price was $32,000 and she got it for $27,000.
CowgirlUp is offline   Reply With Quote