Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Car buying is generally considered a miserable experience. For what it's worth (not much) when I buy a car I shop around, but I do not run from dealer to dealer trying to get them to beat each others price. I was in business most of my life and I don't do business that way.

I think its because of the way buyers behave that car salesman have such a poor image.
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upset264 View Post
Car buying is generally considered a miserable experience. For what it's worth (not much) when I buy a car I shop around, but I do not run from dealer to dealer trying to get them to beat each others price. I was in business most of my life and I don't do business that way.

I think its because of the way buyers behave that car salesman have such a poor image.
I think the way buyers behave is because of the way car salesmen have treated people. Not all salesmen. A few, some, many, not sure how to quantify.

eta: group the dealership in with sales people.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought this Subaru for DW last year.

Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Others will disagree with me, but the easiest car buying experience I've had at a price that I thought was very good based on everything else I saw online, was when I used the Costco car buying program. Your time is worth something too. I didn't want to spend days trying to save another $100.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Others will disagree with me, but the easiest car buying experience I've had at a price that I thought was very good based on everything else I saw online, was when I used the Costco car buying program. Your time is worth something too. I didn't want to spend days trying to save another $100.
To each his/her own, but in my case I saved $1600 vs the Costco price with a couple hours work online and at a dealer. If it was only a $100, I wouldn't waste the time either...

But if you want a decent discount with zero effort, the Costco price isn't bad. However, there are major metro areas (population 2.1M that I know of first hand), and obviously minor areas, where no dealers participate in the Costco program.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
To each his/her own, but in my case I saved $1600 vs the Costco price with a couple hours work online and at a dealer. If it was only a $100, I wouldn't waste the time either...

But if you want a decent discount with zero effort, the Costco price isn't bad. However, there are major metro areas (population 2.1M that I know of first hand), and obviously minor areas, where no dealers participate in the Costco program.
The car you buy matters too. For the one I bought, which is in high demand, the only way I would have gotten the deal I did was through Costco. Every dealer told me they wouldn't discount off MSRP until I got Costco involved.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The car you buy matters too. For the one I bought, which is in high demand, the only way I would have gotten the deal I did was through Costco. Every dealer told me they wouldn't discount off MSRP until I got Costco involved.
It’s true dealing is very brand and model specific, even regional factors. I know in Nov in TX you could get a great deal on an Outback, much smaller discounts on a Forester then for the example.

My point was simply Costco may or may not be a great deal, and it takes very little effort to find out.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upset264 View Post
Yea, that's it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #49

I never finance or trade in, so it is a clean deal. The internet is the worst nightmare for traditional car sales. last 3 out of 4 new cars, walked on the lot cold , knowing about the lowest poss. price.

Then the painful pitches for dealer installed crap, 3rd party warranty, and supplemental insurance.

Next time, when we sit down in the closer's desk I WILL PULL OUT AN EGG TIMER AND TELL EM, " OUT THE DOOR PRICE WHEN THE TIME IS UP OR WE WALK "
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Next time, when we sit down in the closer's desk I WILL PULL OUT AN EGG TIMER AND TELL EM, " OUT THE DOOR PRICE WHEN THE TIME IS UP OR WE WALK "
That’s what I do, sans the egg timer. I basically allow for three numbers and a respectful conversation. I come in with a number, they counter and then I firm up a number, counter and say it’s that or have a nice day. They’ll either accept that number or come back with what I believe is their bottom line, but either way, I’m done. If they’re very close, I may accept but if they’re jerking my chain, I’ll know buy then. Firming up a number shouldn’t take more than 1/2 hour even with basic pleasantries.

I agree that it’s model and vehicle specific. I think I got a good deal on my truck, but it was year end and model year close out. If I’d have wanted a 2019, I don’t think I would have come close to the deal I got. Either way, the only way I’d use Costco for a car is if I had no desire to haggle and wanted to make sure I was at least getting a fair deal. Frankly, I don’t like to haggle, but a car is too much of a purchase not to try. It’s one of the few transactions were you can save a thousand+ if you’re willing to play the game.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
https://www.bestbuysubaru.com/new/Su...52fc9c2cfd.htm

I'm guessing a lower end impreza can be had for about $20K, but he wants all the bells and whistles...

We bought a 2018 Impreza for just under $22k out the door for our son and daughter in law in December. It has all the new safety equipment, but but no leather or nav. It had 6600 miles on it since it was a loaner vehicle for the service department before we bought it.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
......... walked on the lot cold , knowing about the lowest poss. price.

Then the painful pitches for dealer installed crap, 3rd party warranty, and supplemental insurance.

The only time I visit the dealership is to either take a test drive or to pick up the car. All negotiation is done via email. Why play on their turf?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #53
gone traveling

Easy peasy for me. I buy need vehicles every 12 years and negotiate thru email. I get approx 10 offers , 3 dealers in my city and 7 within a 4 hour driving distance. One of my rides I bought in 2016 was a V6 Accord stick ( I'm a purist) MSRP 32k bought cash out the door $25.5K with 9 miles on the odometer. When I traded in my car I still got 4K for it and the look on the dealer's face when the fuel gauge read empty!
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Buying a Car Tomorrow
Old 01-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #54

Buying a Car Tomorrow

Hmmn, never occurred to me that I was a man of my word. But, we did buy a car today: the Impreza, using the Costco price. It's being delivered this evening.

Everything went smoothly until we got to meet with the finance man. Very pushy. He wanted us to buy a $3200 warranty and we needed to buy it before we left the lot. After his 3rd or 4th go-around, I said, "We'd like to pay for the car now." That worked. Other than this guy, so far, so good.

Yesterday, I contacted via email two other local Subaru dealers. One didn't seem interested in beating the Costco price and I guess the other one wasn't interested as he never go back to me. There was a third dealership out-of-state that did respond but since he was 1500 miles away, I just ended up thanking him for his time.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Hmmn, never occurred to me that I was a man of my word. But, we did buy a car today: the Impreza, using the Costco price. It's being delivered this evening.

Everything went smoothly until we got to meet with the finance man. Very pushy. He wanted us to buy a $3200 warranty and we needed to buy it before we left the lot. After his 3rd or 4th go-around, I said, "We'd like to pay for the car now." That worked. Other than this guy, so far, so good.

Yesterday, I contacted via email two other local Subaru dealers. One didn't seem interested in beating the Costco price and I guess the other one wasn't interested as he never go back to me. There was a third dealership out-of-state that did respond but since he was 1500 miles away, I just ended up thanking him for his time.
Dealers don’t do deals via email. They all want you to come in. People who say they email dealers for pricing, I don’t think have actually tried it.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Dealers don’t do deals via email. They all want you to come in. People who say they email dealers for pricing, I don’t think have actually tried it.
Hmmm, worked for me.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Nah, I got email pricing for my last two vehicles.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Nah, I got email pricing for my last two vehicles.
Not for me. Got lots of attention, but zero quotes.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Not for me. Got lots of attention, but zero quotes.
I think that’s what would happen in Detroit land. I’m going to try it next time though. I’d be afraid that your best deal would be a ways away and then when you get there they jerk you around. Still, I’m going to try. Plus, it’s better if you have service at the dealer where you bought the car. That means it’s better if you stay closer and buy from the dealer you actually want to take it for service.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I think that’s what would happen in Detroit land. .....
I bought my last 2 cars in "Detroit land" via email.