Buying a New Mattress in 2014

Update: after much research, rather than spending some ~$700-plus for a new mattress set, I bought a 3" memory foam topper from Costco last week 'on sale' for ~$120. (I figured it should last me some 3 to 5 years; and maybe I'll meet someone in the meantime with her own lovely bed that we both can enjoy.)

I'm still getting used to this topper (and thinking 'bout getting a mattress pad to put on top of this foam topper, as suggested by some online reviews) but so far so good.

Last edited:
Update: after much research, rather than spending some ~$700-plus for a new mattress set, I bought a 3" memory foam topper from Costco last week 'on sale' for ~$120. (I figured it should last me some 3 to 5 years; and maybe I'll meet someone in the meantime with her own lovely bed that we both can enjoy.)

I'm still getting used to this topper (and thinking 'bout getting a mattress pad to put on top of this foam topper, as suggested by some online reviews) but so far so good.

I hope it works out for you.

Frank [-]is[/-] was thinking of buying a new mattress set because his bed is too hard to be comfortable. After looking at the prices this afternoon he is not so enthusiastic. I told him about your mattress topper solution so maybe that will be something he can check out.

It is shocking to see how much mattress prices have increased in just a very few years.

There's an auction house close to me that takes in and auctions just a ton of Costco items. I'm not sure if it's mostly floor models, returns or what, but the savings are significant - about 20-30% of retail from what I've seen. I bought my bed frame and gel mattress (LOVE my gel mattress! Firm, yet slightly squishy!) from Costco a couple of years ago. The queen frame alone was around $1200 retail IIRC and I saw the exact same frame style in a king size with 2 dressers and 2 night stands go for $700 at the auction. Oh well. :(

Buying a new bed is worse than buying a new car, IMHO.
+1. We've been disappointed every time and we've tried everything except TemperPedic (sounds too not). We did not like Sleep Number, natural latex, med or firm innerspring...sigh. I wake up sore every morning, recover during the day, and sore again the next morning, repeat day after day. So I am always interested in threads like this, though I have nothing to offer.

I have a relative that works at a "mattress" store. She has been there for years. I have a horrible back so I decided to upgrade to a better mattress. TempurPedic was super expensive. She recommended and I ultimately purchased a serta I comfort. Half the price of the tempurPedic. Still expensive, but is an amazing mattress that I intend to keep for a very long time. Also, got her discount. Those things are marked up really high.

We have a TempurPedic at our summer place, but didn't want to spend that much money for the bed down here in FL. So we got a much cheaper memory foam mattress from Sam's Club. I don't remember the model, but it was significantly less than $1K. It's totally comfortable. Not as nice as the TempurPedic, but definitely comfortable.

We have been using a Scandinavian-style platform bed without a box spring for 30 years now. I like a firm bed and eliminating the box spring is the way to do it. I also like a low bed, though I do not yet have to worry about falling out off bed and hurting myself. I am so used to a low bed now that sleeping in hotel high beds makes me uncomfortable.

Anybody else is using a mattress without the box spring?

Last edited:
Part of the problem is people vary so much - broad/narrow shoulders, b/n hips, weights vary by hundreds of pounds, etc.

I went through a variety of mattresses that gave me various aches. Our most recent mattress is a TempurPedic which, though expensive, seems to work best for me. No morning aches. We'll see how long it lasts though...

Anybody else is using a mattress without the box spring?

Me. Never had a boxspring at home. I think the only purpose they serve is to create a flat surface to put a mattress on sicne you can't rest a mattress on top of the wire that most bedframes are made of. That's what the platform on my bedframe does. The sleepnumber doesn't require a boxspring either. It has a flat surface to put the mattress on.

Back
Top Bottom