Buying Washer/Dryer set - helpful hints?

Our hometown appliance dealer is really terrific, and will beat or match competitors' prices. They are great at advising on which appliance to buy, too, and they are great with complaints and issues. Everybody here thinks very highly of the family that runs the store and they have been in business for many, many years.

So, where did I buy my appliances when I moved? Sears online. :banghead: I should have gone to that hometown appliance dealer's store, to give them my business instead. Just didn't think of it. :duh:

There is a "home town store" about 15 miles from us. We bought our replacement ovens there, and had good service. But a few years later, when we need to replace a refrigerator, either the good-service guys had aged out, or something else had changed. They weren't helpful at all, didn't seem interested in our business. ::confused::We went to Sears.

FWIW, I had an insurance company once who required all customers to have SS braided hoses on their washing machines. They, at least, thought they were worth it. I think they are somewhere around $15.

I swear, no matter how obscure the subject is, you'll find an article about it on the 'net:

https://www.thespruce.com/comparing-washing-machine-hoses-2718662

(As an aside, unless that PM was from a friend who was pulling your leg, I'm very disappointed to find that we have such trolls here in our little neighborhood.)

There've been several cautionary tales on the forum about washer hoses that sprang leaks. It does seem like a good idea to upgrade.

FWIW, I had an insurance company once who required all customers to have SS braided hoses on their washing machines. They, at least, thought they were worth it. I think they are somewhere around $15.

I swear, no matter how obscure the subject is, you'll find an article about it on the 'net:

https://www.thespruce.com/comparing-washing-machine-hoses-2718662

(As an aside, unless that PM was from a friend who was pulling your leg, I'm very disappointed to find that we have such trolls here in our little neighborhood.)

I wouldn’t get a front load washer again. On ours, dimes and pennys drop down between the washer drum and gasket and somehow get lodged in the pump. I’ve had to take the washer apart several times to remove change. This never happened on our old top load washer.

The above issue seems to be a common complaint for many front-loaders.

It was yet another reason I went with a high-efficiency, top-loader w/o agitator when I replaced our older, traditional, with central agitator, top-loading washer in 2010.
(LG HE top-loader, stainless tub, nothing's broken yet.)

I bought a Speed Queen W&D. Built like they use to when they lasted 25 years.
Money well spent.

Sorry -- I have not read all posts in the thread.

We replaced both washer and dryer 3.5 years ago just because they were 22 years old, but still working.

We chose a very basic top-loading GE washer and front loading GE dryer (gas). I think each has three dials for stuff like water temp, water level -- just basic stuff, and each has a timer wheel (kind of old school). Got them from Lowes.

Dryer was DOA due to a manufacturing defect (they didn't plug in the gas igniter). Warranty repair guy had it diagnosed and fixed in less than five minutes. Dryer must have been made on a Friday because it didn't have a lint filter -- had to order under warranty. Happy with them since.

He chatted with us a few minutes because we had the kitchen packed up in boxes stacked almost to the ceiling of the dining room. He flips houses in his spare time. As he walked to the door to leave, in a very sincere tone he told us that the most frequent and costliest service calls are when the bells and whistles break. FWIW.

Last edited:
I think it is that way with most everything. Every added function increases the risk of system dysfunction.

the most frequent and costliest service calls are when the bells and whistles break. FWIW.

I've heard that the side load washers often develop mold because moisture or water builds up and doesn't drain.

That is a risk with a front load washer... we just keep the door ajar when we are not using it and in the 7 or so years we have had it we have never had a problem.

In fact, we have never had a problem requiring a service call with either the washer or the dryer in the 7 years we have had them... both Samsung bought from Lowes IIRC.

The things I read are that fronts clean better at less water & energy use & don't damage clothes near as much as tops. FWIW, we've had a front LG six years without issues. We bought it for the better cleaning reports. Do I know if it's better? Nope. Most all my 15 year olds shirts & jeans still going at 21.

Last edited:
Our front load LG washer and dryer have been installed. Very nice!

We have the LG direct drive HE (top load) and the matching dryer. We have been very happy with them. If I were buying them today, I would price them separate as there are high washing machine tariffs, but not on dryers. I just read last week that the manufacturers were jacking up the matching dryer prices because they could, and that mitigated some of their losses on the washers.

Interesting timing that this thread has been resurrected after a year and a half. We're in the market for a new washer and dryer for our house about to close in two weeks.

Got rid of our front loading Frigidaire Affinity washer and dryer prior to our move. We came to hate that set. Really didn't clean clothes all that well, plus had mold buildup in the water dispensing compartment we couldn't keep away. No surprise that Frigidaire doesn't sell front loading washers any more and only one top loader and a stackable unit (but apparently their refrigerators have improved in recent years).

The more we read the reviews, the more we hesitate. Paralysis by analysis, and it's killing us because we don't want to move into our new house without a washer and dryer being delivered soon after.

LG, Whirlpool and Maytag all seem to have quality top loading washers We're using a top loader in our house rental and it's fine (LG 5.3 cu ft w/steam option, which we haven't used or needed), but it is not without its quirks. We're mostly concerned about the washer, and these manufacturers for the 5.2-5.3 cu ft top loading washers get solid 4.5 out of 5 ratings. But if you read the one- and two-star reviews, my word!

Since cost isn't a deciding factor, we're likely to go with the model which can be delivered to the store prior to our house closing. A few models already are back-ordered into June. :mad:

Last edited:
I wasn't going to post since I figured the OP has long since made the purchase, but you haven't yet, so here is a tip I learned the hard way. My LG set is generally good but the design of the lint filter in the dryer is AWFUL. It's inside the door and when you pull it out to clean it, it drops dirt and lint inside of the dryer drum. My husband works outside and I have boys so there's always debris along with the lint and it's annoying to clean up.

People on other forums say those front loading washers and dryers aren't as reliable as the top loads.

Water accumulates in the front load washer doors and they smell.

People on other forums say those front loading washers and dryers aren't as reliable as the top loads.

Water accumulates in the front load washer doors and they smell.
We had some of that, even with leaving the front door open to air out the drum area. It is probably because of our mediocre experience with the front loading washer that we're looking at a top loader. Many will recommend an non-agitator unit, while others swear by an agitator unit.

Our (20+ year old) washer shot craps a couple of months ago, so we recently bought a Samsung washer and dryer. Front load washer.

DW is short, and could only get the clothes out one top loader that we could find, and we did not like it, so front loader was the choice.

There are so many options, it makes your mind numb.

Ultimately the only (DW) requirement was a steam cycle on the dryer.

So far, pretty happy. Leave the door open on the washer, no mold or smell so far. The appliance guy actually recommended to use powder detergent. Claimed it had less fatty oils that can cause mold/odor. We have been using liquid with no issues, but might change.

Appliance guy actually told us to not expect 20 years again. 10 tops.

FYI, the shop we used was NOT a big box store. The price was cheaper, and they offered a $60 delivery charge that included all the cords, hoses, ducts, set up and haul away of the old machines. And the guys they sent knew exactly what they were doing. Very professional.

For the record, I call him the Appliance Guy instead of a salesman because he was far more knowledgeable than any guy in a big box store.

DW is short, and could only get the clothes out one top loader that we could find, and we did not like it, so front loader was the choice.

There are so many options, it makes your mind numb.

Ultimately the only (DW) requirement was a steam cycle on the dryer
You definitely had a reason to go with a front loader. DW and I are both 5'8"/5'9", so the height isn't an issue for us.

Just steam on the dryer and not the washer? Is that for mostly de-wrinkling clothes?

Given the reviews I have read, I suspect many would be hesitant to recommend a specific brand or even model based on the number of negative comments. Given the models we have a good chance of picking up a quality washer. Then again, we also have about a 5-10% chance of picking up a lemon.

Bought a "high efficiency" HE Maytag washer last year when the main bearing started to go in my 15 yr old maytag. Biggest mistake I ever made in purchasing an appliance. My "highly efficient" washer requires that I rewash many items because of soap residue on the washed clothes. I follow the instructions to a T by the way. Not very efficient, if you ask me. I will never buy another he washer!

Bought a "high efficiency" HE Maytag washer last year when the main bearing started to go in my 15 yr old maytag. Biggest mistake I ever made in purchasing an appliance. My "highly efficient" washer requires that I rewash many items because of soap residue on the washed clothes. I follow the instructions to a T by the way. Not very efficient, if you ask me. I will never buy another he washer!

We had this problem also. What works for me, there is a "sheets" setting on ours that actually fills the tub and gets out all of the soap residue in one wash. I was everything using the "sheets" setting. HTH.

We had this problem also. What works for me, there is a "sheets" setting on ours that actually fills the tub and gets out all of the soap residue in one wash. I was everything using the "sheets" setting. HTH.

Honestly, I wouldn't notice, but DW does and because of this, she uses a lot less detergent than the indicator in the soap dish in the machine. In the instruction on how I'm supposed to use the machine, she indicated that she uses about half the recommended amount of soap. And yes, she's using a HE (high efficiency) soap made for front loading machines. I'll have to tell her about the sheets setting. If we don't have it, there's probably a setting that does the same thing. There's a lot of choices.

The house we're renting has an LG washer and dryer (7600 series). It felt like the clothes were clean the first month or so we used the washer, but over time, we got the impression there was some lingering soap residue. Since many of our clothes loads were small compared to the 5.2 cu ft washer tub, we started adding an extra rinse cycle to most of our clothes washes. That works out well for us.

We bought a top loading GE washer a few months ago. No center spindle, and extremely efficient with water use. We love it-quiet, efficient, large capacity-large enough for bedspreads and comforters. I’m 5’4” and have trouble reaching the bottom to empty the clothes. We solved that problem with a pair of jointed salad tongs.

We live in an area with a variety of excellent independently owned stores and small chains. The guy working there really knew his stuff, talked about how popular front loaders are, but explained the problems of mold and mildew due to the need to be air tight when closed. That led us to getting the top loader with no center spindle. The capacity is enormous.

Back
Top Bottom