Join Early Retirement Today

Buying Washer/Dryer set - helpful hints?
Old 11-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am dreading the process.

Our dryer, bought in 2009, succumbed to bird nests in the external vent. Even after duct cleaning, the dryer never recovered. Now the washer is getting fussy ("overloading" with two towels) and I'm ready for new.

In 09 we went to Sears with a sale ad, were accosted by a salesman and managed to purchase a washer/dryer set "close to" the one we wanted and some $300 of necessary "add-ons" that weren't in the sale price. The installers didn't speak English and were rough on the flooring.

I want a top loading washer, because the front-loader pedestals make the machines too high for the laundry room wall cabinets. There are many choices of where to buy: Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, and several area appliance retailers. None of them is a favorite. I am hoping the forum members can help with:
  • How to pick maker/style and actually get that one you want
  • How to get the best deal
  • Things to watch out for

Thank you,

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

lowes has a good selection of washers and dryers. you can get a military discount on that price or they will price match anyone else. I have been a whirlpool and kenmore fan for a long time. my current set are kenmore 80 series and are 20 years old and still going. but you have to check the model no. to see who manufactures them. this is just my opinion. so take it for what it's worth. also my opinion, stay away from ge and hotpoint, my son just bought those 2 years ago and has had two service calls already.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I hated my old washer/dryer set (GE, cheapest available in 2002). So, when I moved I wanted to leave them at the old house and buy new ones.

I felt like you do, Amethyst! I had read so many scary threads about how awful some new washers are. So, I did a lot of online research and subscribed to Consumer Reports online.

Mostly I relied on the latter, and I have been extremely happy with the model of oversized LG top of the line top loader He washer that I have.

My recommendation would be to spend a LOT of time researching it online, to take anything you read with a grain of salt, and to realize that what is perfect for one person, may not be for another.

As for getting a good deal, I have no clue. I paid through the nose for mine, even though I bought it from Sears online and it was on sale.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
the front-loader pedestals make the machines too high for the laundry room wall cabinets.
How many inches do you have from floor to cabinet bottoms?
Pedestals come in various heights as do washers.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Don't buy an extended warranty.

Go for plain jane. You will never use most of the exotic settings.

If you shopping price make sure your comparison includes delivery (and removal if required).

We use Consumer Reports when buying an appliance. Our library provides in on line gratis.

Check the Costco offerings...on line and in store.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #6

If your washer is a top loader, the overload issue may be a simple fix. I had similar problem with Samsung top loader and fixed it in 20 minutes with $90 in parts. I've been told that you don't need a lot of bells and whistles in a dryer just a moisture sensor so no need to splurge on that. I would also recommend a gas dryer if you have the hookup. More initial cost but much cheaper to operate in my experience. We don't care that our washer and dryer are mismatched but YMMV.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Most retail stores in our area will price match each other and our fairly negotiable on price. Lowe's price matched the lowest price I could find and then let us use a coupon on top of that.

I bought a low energy, low water usage washer the last time around. Usually our local energy and water utilities have rebates on some of the resource saving appliances. The models with rebates are listed on their web sites.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't put a dime in an 8 year old washing machine.

I don't know the condition of your other appliances but keep an eye out for some package rebates..MY DD redid her kitchen and needed fridge, stove DW, and built in micro-wave with vent hood.. She literally got top of the line micro-vent for 25 bucks, and no the regular price of the appliances was not jacked up. In fact I think NOV/Dec is probably a great time of year to get a good deal.

If a veteran uses Home Depot you will get 10 off the sale price as well.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

My washer died right before my SO was to have Total Knee Surgery so I had no time to waste and bought a washer online (Maytag Bravos ) . It has been great absolutely no problems unlike my refrigerator the consumer top rated model that died in three and a half years .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

When it comes to add ons, it’s worth replacing the supply line from the water source to the washer & might be required by an installer. Cost outweighs possibly of a flood, especially if you travel.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

we've been married 45 years and have gone thru 4 fridges, 3 stoves, 4 dishwashers , 3 washing machines and dryers. and one freezer. I can tell you with complete certainly the live of these items has decreased significantly in the last 20 years.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Everyone I know that bought a water saver washer was sorry. I also don't buy all the fancy settings, etc because I never use them. Sears here has a outlet center where the appliances are either being discontinued or are slightly dented.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Everyone I know that bought a water saver washer was sorry. I also don't buy all the fancy settings, etc because I never use them. Sears here has a outlet center where the appliances are either being discontinued or are slightly dented.
Can you even buy a washer that isn't water saver, someone give me a name and I'm going to buy one. You haven't experienced washing frustration until you try to wash greasy, dirty farm clothes in a water saver machine...
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't think any top loading agitator washer is a water saver (HE). Google to see what brands/models are available.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't think any top loading agitator washer is a water saver (HE). Google to see what brands/models are available.
Mine is considered a water saver and the agitator really doesn't do much since the water lever in the tub is so low. it's a Maytag...
Old 11-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Can you even buy a washer that isn't water saver, someone give me a name and I'm going to buy one.
Speed Queen AWN432SP113TW04
Price: https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/aj...SP113TW04.html
Average Water Consumption: 20.0 gallons
Use & Care Manual: https://speedqueen.com/tech_pdf/Production/203615.pdf
Spec Sheet: https://speedqueen.com/media/23295/a...w_spec_web.pdf
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Speed Queen AWN432SP113TW04
I'm going to check that out how old is that model, have you used it personally...if I set my older washer on large load it would fill within 6 inches of the top.. what you need for really dirty clothes. My current even when you set the load size to large doesn't even come half way up the tub...
Old 11-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I want a top loading washer, because the front-loader pedestals make the machines too high for the laundry room wall cabinets.
You don't have to have a pedestal but then the door is quite low. Or, you can build one to the desired height.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #19

Made in America and only $30. Plus you can pickup a few bucks traveling with the local jug band.
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/096...g?v=1448051376

String up so rope for a matching dryer.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I suggest avoiding all the big name/box stores and find a small operation in town that has been there since you have. I am lucky to have such a place and have been going there for the last 28 years.

They deliver and install for free (extra charge for dishwasher install) and (most valuable) remove the old stuff for free.

My place has the same sales guy too. He's been there over 30 years and remembers me and I look forward to seeing him every time it's replacement time.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appliance purchase, avoiding rip-offs, washer dryer set