Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

CA Exodus
Old 04-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

CA Exodus

Didn't want our many California members to miss out on this article about the cost of living in parts of the state.

And I look back in wonder at the outrageously high cost of living there back in 1986, when it was part of my business travel. How could it be even more expensive?

Quote:
Mine is a story that’s been lived a thousand times, and my tragedy a minor one of the white and relatively privileged. It’s also one that reflects part of an insidious national trend. So, here is the tale of how and why I am one of the contentious hundreds of thousands flocking from California to the Pacific Northwest.
I Love California Deeply: Here's Why I'm One of the Hundreds of Thousands Who Left to Move North | Alternet

So...thoughts about moving? Or does one adjust?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yawn. Sounds like sour grapes from an entitled 20 something whiner. [Mod Edit] Sorry, between the tech businesses and the Chinese, it's too late to solve the "problem". It's a crowded world now, and those with money are pushing out those that don't have money in all the desirable places to live, not just California.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I feel like this is a very old story. Some neighborhoods gentrify, others turn to slums. I appreciate there is a feeling of cultural loss, but I think gentrification is preferable to urban blight. There are still plenty of very nice and affordable places folks to which one can move (Durango, Flagstaff, Portland, on and on).

Oh, and if there isn't change, then folks fret about stagnation. Seems like people complain just for the sake of complaining.

Live in the neighborhood you love until you can't. Accept that things change and you either need to adapt or move.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting viewpoint the author has. "Our decision was part of a frustrating catch 22. By moving to Portland, where we ultimately settled, we are contributing to that city's own price inflation."
Portland has been slammed by an influx of people (Californicators) coming north, buying up the big old houses that have been relatively low cost housing for many people, and raising the rents beyond the reach of the current tenants. Those Oregonians move out and may become homeless, joining the mass of unwashed youth living on the streets.

It is bad enough that Portland, and now the state legislature, decided that landlords had to give 60 days notice for an eviction without cause. April 14th new law decreed that a rent increase no longer required 30 days notice - now it is 90 days.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Not moving anytime soon, house is paid off and property taxes are 2 grand a year.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #6

I agree with the sentiment that this is not new.

I also remember hearing the same complaints from those in the pacific Northwest when I moved from San Diego to Bellingham in 1990... In fact there were issues with California transplants getting their cars keyed because of the CA plates.... (It was in the news enough that I made a point of getting new license plate tags within 48 hours of moving north.)

I was away from CA for almost 13 years. The challenge in moving back was housing. Like everyone else moving to CA - I had sticker shock. The only way we were able to afford to buy was the fact that I'd gotten married and both hubby and I had savings AND equity in homes... so we had enough to put a decent down payment down. The downpayment was enough to buy a house outright in our old neighborhood outside of Philly.

Housing costs are outrageous here. There is no getting around that. It's the only thing keeping the crowds from moving here for the weather, the beaches, etc. Even still CA is the most populous state... more than 10 million more people than the next most populous - Texas. If it sucked so badly... more people would move away.

Some interesting info on the migration trends into/out of/within CA.
http://journal.firsttuesday.us/golde...n-trends/9007/
Old 04-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
Live in the neighborhood you love until you can't. Accept that things change and you either need to adapt or move.
The part that I put in bold font, is sure difficult sometimes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The Mid-West (flyover country) is the place to go for a good and affordable quality of life. The sooner people wake up to that the better off they will be. Just don't over crowd Oklahoma and Missouri like they did to California.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #9

As we smugly say here in "flyover" Minnesota--a paradise from my point of view--the extreme cold keeps the riff raff out. Very few California expats here
Old 04-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oakland sits about 10 miles across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco, the most expensive city in the U.S. thanks to the encroachment of Google and other Big Tech companies.
Oh doodness, how terrible that big secure high paying, non- polluting industries encroach, and bars and restaurants and taxes and everybody else prospers, but some poor downtrodden yoga teachers have to move to the outback of Portland. Some other more successful yoga and Pilates and whatever other teachers will do better. I have not noticed that gentrification is hard on upscale gyms or Pilates or yoga studios. One of the surest signs of gentrification is hair care and nail shops give way to Pilates studios and boutique gyms like Crossfit.

That old market economy is a terrible thing to see.. Call 911! Pass a law!

Ha
Old 04-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The Mid-West (flyover country) is the place to go for a good and affordable quality of life. The sooner people wake up to that the better off they will be. Just don't over crowd Oklahoma and Missouri like they did to California.
No worries.

Ha
Old 04-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #12

Same as it ever was.

Mom and her best friend from college moved to CA shortly after graduation to teach. They lived in San Diego, as did my father, in their early 20s and enjoyed the beach, the weather, etc. Then they recognized that they couldn't really afford California if they ever hoped to own a home, etc...

So they all moved back to the Midwest (St Louis and Indy). My mom's friend moved back to LA after marrying a man who became wealthy and they've lived here since. My mom and dad ended up in Indianapolis via South Carolina.

So yeah, CA has always been expensive. When the time to end my present career comes to an end, maybe my family's time in CA will for now as well and we'll follow a similar path. Maybe not. We'll see. But I don't lament the cost of living here. It is what it is, and you pay for the location. If we want to settle here permanently, we'll have to be prepared to pay for it!

Otherwise, yeah, I agree with ha... a yoga instructor can't make it in the area where Google and other tech companies have "encroached" by creating wealth and opportunities for thousands of others.... mmmmhhmmmmm...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Not moving anytime soon, house is paid off and property taxes are 2 grand a year.
Ditto for us. We live in a small town 2 hours north of SF. We have our quarter acre of CA paradise. I like visiting SF, but love coming home to a quieter place.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The Mid-West (flyover country) is the place to go for a good and affordable quality of life.
I agree! I enjoyed living in Silicon Valley (great work opportunities!) for 15 years, but I was happy to come home to Ohio and especially to raise my son here. Even my DW (born in Cal) likes it here.

I like that the US is varied enough that most people can find the "right place" for themselves.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #15

The Bay Area was far more expensive during the Gold Rush, according to this article in the online version of the SF Chronicle, which references an article in the Smithsonian,

"According to New York Herald correspondent Bayard Taylor, gamblers paid $10,000 a month and up for hotel rooms, or nearly $300,000 today."

San Francisco is a bargain now--compared to the Gold Rush - SFGate

Personally, I find these boom and bust economies invigorating and quite enjoyable but then, I am willing to do pretty much whatever it takes to survive, including moving to another area if need be. Truth be told, I'm looking for an excuse to buy a Class C motorhome and hit the road. Unfortunately, my nightmare landlord has the temerity to charge just $640/month for rent on my small studio in a characterful old house on a quiet residential street in Oakland. To make things worse, he only increases the rent about once every 10 years

Old 04-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One of the surest signs of gentrification is hair care and nail shops give way to Pilates studios and boutique gyms like Crossfit.

That old market economy is a terrible thing to see.. Call 911! Pass a law!

Ha
The last time we drove into the city, I did notice how many yoga studios had popped up really high rent locations (like the street level space of downtown office skyscraper buildings).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I feel like this is a very old story. Some neighborhoods gentrify, others turn to slums. I appreciate there is a feeling of cultural loss, but I think gentrification is preferable to urban blight. There are still plenty of very nice and affordable places folks to which one can move (Durango, Flagstaff, Portland, on and on).

Oh, and if there isn't change, then folks fret about stagnation. Seems like people complain just for the sake of complaining.

Live in the neighborhood you love until you can't. Accept that things change and you either need to adapt or move. ....
+1
If I lived in a community long term, I would buy rather than rent as it's cheaper over the long term and adds stability. Then when it got gentrified I would be HAPPY as I can stay or if I need to move I made a big profit.
Much better than the hood deteriorating to bulldozed down buildings.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #18

Here in Bay Area, some (myself included) are waiting to see where their kids going to settle before deciding to move out (or not) of their expensive houses. I decided to stay as long as I can confidently/comfortably afford to stay. As I age, I am appreciating fine weather more and more.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in So Cal (OC). Many that I know have left, and've come back (and I've tried it too). And then those who've left that would like to come back, but can't afford it.

Just got back from visiting family in MD. Many are the things I love: cheaper commercial rents so more mom and pop restaurants, a real connection to college teams, and more open space. And real trees.

What I love about So Cal is that big orange ball in the sky. I love walking my dogs in Feb in shorts and t shirt. I love it's diversity and tolerance.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
What I love about So Cal is that big orange ball in the sky. I love walking my dogs in Feb in shorts and t shirt.
I am sometimes overwhelmed by the crush of people amd long for a real yard and neighbors that aren't five feet away. But your last couple of sentences there are what will make it hard to leave.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Closed Thread