Join Early Retirement Today

CA holding back refunds
Old 04-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CA holding back refunds

I am involved in free tax preparation through the AARP/IRS program.
I just got a notice that the CA Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is asking for more documentation from some taxpayers to preclude identity theft.
They have a special form to fill out that requests copies of your Social Security Card and copies of W-2's and 1099's.
They say it may take as much as 3 months to process the information and the refund
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 11:30 PM   #2

Oh no, I hope this doesn’t impact us. I don’t even have a copy of my SS card.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #3

Many states have instituted new procedures to prevent fraudulent tax refunds. A very good thing IMHO.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CA hasn't pestered me about my little $54 refund so I guess I can go back to sleep. But I thought Social Security says the card should not be used as an identity card. I too don't have one and don't fell like unfreezing my credit to file for one (they use credit agencies to verify you).
Old 04-11-2018, 06:09 AM   #5

Depending on where you live, you might be required to show an original Social Security card to get a new driver's license.

DW and I found ourselves in that boat a number of years ago, which meant an unpleasant couple of hours going to the local SS office to get a new card. We keep them very safe now.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Many states have instituted new procedures to prevent fraudulent tax refunds. A very good thing IMHO.
Well, except the cost of the extra procedures could easily be more than the cost of fraud. And once those procedures are in place they will be there for a long time.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Depending on where you live, you might be required to show an original Social Security card to get a new driver's license.

DW and I found ourselves in that boat a number of years ago, which meant an unpleasant couple of hours going to the local SS office to get a new card. We keep them very safe now.
I just got an email from SS saying you can replace your SS card on line.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I just got an email from SS saying you can replace your SS card on line.
Do you have to send them a scanned copy of your SS card to verify your identity before you can get the replacement online?

The concept of CA using a scanned copy of a SS card to verify an individual's identity is crazy. Is Photoshop unavailable to identity thieves?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
CA Refunds
Old 04-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

CA Refunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am involved in free tax preparation through the AARP/IRS program.
I just got a notice that the CA Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is asking for more documentation from some taxpayers to preclude identity theft.
They have a special form to fill out that requests copies of your Social Security Card and copies of W-2's and 1099's.
They say it may take as much as 3 months to process the information and the refund
I feel your pain. Massachusetts has to rank near the top for states that delay refunds the longest for exactly this reason: increased fraud and identity theft. Their website said expect to wait 4-8 additional weeks. After chasing them for 5 months, I finally received my 2016 refund in September of last year( I sent my return, which was correct, on March 24th, '17). They will tell you anything to keep from releasing what is rightfully yours.
Nomoresnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yep - here in TX you have to show your SS card even for driver’s license renewals!

It’s required in GA.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Do you have to send them a scanned copy of your SS card to verify your identity before you can get the replacement online?

The concept of CA using a scanned copy of a SS card to verify an individual's identity is crazy. Is Photoshop unavailable to identity thieves?
Yeah, I gotta believe this is just a deterrent to ID thieves and a way to decrease outflow from the state coffers.

When fraudulent returns were filed for our returns, the state detected it, cancelled the return, and notified us. The key tells are usually pretty easy to detect if anyone is paying attention:
  • Return filed electronically claiming refund
  • Payment instructions changed from prior year
  • Multiple direct deposits or checks to a single account/address

Several years after we had the false return filed, I got a letter from a distant state stating that "the documentation to verify your tax return has not been received and your claim is denied". I called them up and they said a return was filed in that state which was flagged as suspicious. They said it was not unusual for ID thieves to file claims in multiple other states. It didn't all make sense, but I did not bother to investigate.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #12

I filed my taxes on 3/15 and received my CA refund on 4/10. IRS refund came a week earlier. Both were filed with paper returns.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep - here in TX you have to show your SS card even for driver’s license renewals!

It’s required in GA.
You mean that card that has clearly printed on it that it is not to be used it for identification ?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, the Equifax breach has given the bad guys all the important information they need to commit identity theft. So everybody - consumers, stores, taxpayers, government institutions and law enforcement - must now be extra vigilant.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
You mean that card that has clearly printed on it that it is not to be used it for identification ?
Yes. I don’t think it is used for identity verification. Getting a new license you are required to bring other official ID like passport or birth certificate. I’m not sure why they insist on the SS card.

And when renewing or changing address online no such docs are required.

Although they probably require you to enter it to check against their records. I don’t remember as I always have to renew or make changes in person since I have a class B license. I always have to sign an affidavit stating that I am not driving commercially.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Well, except the cost of the extra procedures could easily be more than the cost of fraud. And once those procedures are in place they will be there for a long time.
And that would still be a good thing as more workers would get the money (at IRS, post office, etc) instead of criminals.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Still a very common belief, but they removed that wording from the cards years ago.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Still a very common belief, but they removed that wording from the cards years ago.
I have my original.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #19

Had to get a SS card when they started requiring it for driver's license renewals.

Have to say the local SS office has to be the most depressing place I've ever been.

Including hospital ERs.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote