Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We love our cable but are sick of the price increases. So I called and said we were on an fixed income, etc and then they wanted to drop our level of service. I said no I want the same price as you give to people that are new to the service. I have been a customer for 20 years. So they try all sorts of tactics but I am a broken record for about 30 minutes until they give me what I want for a year. I told my friend and they did the same thing.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. There is only one cable modem provider where I am. The only alternative is DSL, and they're way way too slow for streaming.
Are you sure about DSL being too slow? I live in an area where DSL is as fast (or faster if you want to pay more) than cable.

- Rita
Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to do the math where I'd figure out the season cost of a DVD per show that I thought I'd like. Add them all up together, and if they were less than the monthly cost of cable, I'd buy those instead.

They always added up to being significantly less. And commercial free. Win win. Even cheaper if they were bought used.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #24

I remember back when Fraiser was in its heyday Kelsey Grammer was making over $1 million an episode. Same with Tim Allen on Home Improvement.

Yet Netflix is $11/month and they're putting out some quality content month after month. A few duds too.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Netflix DVD rental (yes, so very old fashioned) is quite economical if you watch a lot movies and TV shows they offer.

CBS is going to offer the new version of Star Trek later this year and I understand it will only be available via the Internet subscription service. As much as I would like to see it, I am debating if I want to buy their service for just one show. I don't want to encourage this type of behavior. And besides who knows how good it will be. The recent incarnation of SuperGirl is turning out to be a huge disappointment, unless one is into relationship issues of all sorts, IMHO.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #26

I'm peeved at the crap they're pulling with the new Star Trek. The production is a rushed mess, but they're trying to hide that and say it's going to be the flagship reason to pay $8/month or however much it is now for CBS All Access.

I tried Hulu for a short period. Paid the subscription and found it still had commercials. Dropped it immediately, and even when they gave me a month free to entice me back I couldn't be bothered.

I guess I'm just spoiled now.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Netflix DVD rental (yes, so very old fashioned) is quite economical if you watch a lot movies and TV shows they offer.

CBS is going to offer the new version of Star Trek later this year and I understand it will only be available via the Internet subscription service. As much as I would like to see it, I am debating if I want to buy their service for just one show. I don't want to encourage this type of behavior. And besides who knows how good it will be. The recent incarnation of SuperGirl is turning out to be a huge disappointment, unless one is into relationship issues of all sorts, IMHO.
They are also going to put on a sequel to The Good Wife on that Internet service. I never watched the series but I know it has followers.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We love our cable but are sick of the price increases. So I called and said we were on an fixed income, etc and then they wanted to drop our level of service. I said no I want the same price as you give to people that are new to the service. I have been a customer for 20 years. So they try all sorts of tactics but I am a broken record for about 30 minutes until they give me what I want for a year.
I called my provider (Comcast) to get the cost of an Internet-only package. For the same speed I'm getting now with my $136/month Internet + TV + phone package they wanted $142 for Internet only. Ummmm, no. How crazy do you think I am? I could have gotten a package with slower Internet and fewer TV channels for $70 but now I can get Google Fiber instead.

It will be very interesting what Comcast tried to throw at me when I really do leave, but I won't take it. If you were willing to take less money for the services I was getting you should have charged me less- don't make me call and fight for it.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

What Comcast tries now is to get you to upgrade the bundle. So if you took Internet and TV, they will try to get you to take Phone and offer a price which is lower than taking the double-play price after your contract expires.

Then after Triple Play, they will push the home security package for quad play.

Problem is, most places have no other options for fast Internet.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Problem is, most places have no other options for fast Internet.
This article suggest 5G might be an alternative one day. Hopefully there will be other options in the future for internet. I would love to ditch Comcast.

5G is Coming & It Could Change Cord Cutting Forever - Cord Cutters News
Old 02-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

That kind of wireless will be more expensive though.

And maybe they limit data usage, though if they decide to compete for home Internet, that would be great, the competition would at least slow down price increases.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #32

Quote:

It will probably show up on ice films the next day, hehe! The geekyer the show, the easier it is to, ah, "find"
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We cut the cord 12 years ago, I'm amazed when I think of that.

We use netflix, OTA (about 25 channels), and occasionally I rent redbox movie for 50 cents for blueray with a coupon if there is a great movie available.

We have probably saved over $10,000 during that time.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
We cut the cord 12 years ago, I'm amazed when I think of that.

We use netflix, OTA (about 25 channels), and occasionally I rent redbox movie for 50 cents for blueray with a coupon if there is a great movie available.

We have probably saved over $10,000 during that time.
+1

We never had more than basic cable, but stopped that about a dozen years also. I'm guessing about $8,000 in savings. Netflix, local library loans, and an occasional Red Box work for us.

Re: NFL games missed. When there is a game I have to see (rarely) and can't get it OTA, I go to a sports restaurant and buy a meal. $7,000 will buy alot of pizza/wings!!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Some of it is pure greed. But I think another big factor contributing to this is actually the customers.
Given that corporations like that are legally obligated to make the decisions that would maximize shareholder value, I think we can safely say the root cause is exclusively the customers and typical consumer behaviors. One of the smartest things these cable companies did is diversify their operations, adding vertical integration into production studios and television networks, and into broadband service. That way, no matter which way consumers move, they'll be there to capitalize on whatever additional discretionary income comes out of the customer's move. This is precisely what you are taught in management programs with regard to responding to inevitable commoditization of core offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
My problem is that we are sitting in an OTA dead zone for some reason. In spite of living in the middle of the city and within walking distance to the TV studio, I can't get squat over the air. In my remote mountain cabin, I get 15 or so channels over the air. Go figure.
This is just going to get worse. The plans now are to go ahead with the FCC repack, which will cram the existing OTA broadcast stations more tightly together. This will increase cross-station interference (no more than 2% they promise). It will also mean that the opportunity to start up a new station will be far more limited, especially in places where there is the greatest diversity of interests. I haven't gone over the plan with a fine-toothed comb yet, but the seven phase plan inevitably will involve some minor (voluntary, on the part of the station, not the viewers!) reduction in power for some stations. And, of course, a seven phase plan means that six times OTA equipment will need to re-find stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Are you sure about DSL being too slow?
Everything is relative. Downscale video far enough, and 56K baud would be "enough".

Quote:
CBS is going to offer the new version of Star Trek later this year and I understand it will only be available via the Internet subscription service. As much as I would like to see it, I am debating if I want to buy their service for just one show. I don't want to encourage this type of behavior.
Except that some of the best programs of the last two years have come from such services (Netflix and Amazon). Hulu also is now offering original programming. If streaming becomes the "answer" then streaming will be transformed by that into precisely what folks were running away from when they ran to streaming.

I think CBS All Access has the biggest challenge to overcome, though. First, they're starting off with very little exclusive programming: Right now, just the Good Wife spinoff. Later, they'll offer the new Star Trek series, but it'll probably be the only exclusive offering at that time. That's simply not enough to compete with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. Perhaps they'll realize that, but if they do it means transferring more of their best content away from their OTA network, filling more of the free airwaves with cheap reality programming, so as to make their over-the-top fee-based service more attractive. That does seem like a likely scenario.

Quote:
And besides who knows how good it will be. The recent incarnation of SuperGirl is turning out to be a huge disappointment, unless one is into relationship issues of all sorts, IMHO.
What's wrong with interpersonal relationships as a source of drama for television programs?
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. There is only one cable modem provider where I am. The only alternative is DSL, and they're way way too slow for streaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Are you sure about DSL being too slow? I live in an area where DSL is as fast (or faster if you want to pay more) than cable.
Of course I'm sure or I wouldn't have posted it. In my area, XFinity cable modem is 10-2000 Mbps and Frontier DSL is 6-24 Mbps.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
What's wrong with interpersonal relationships as a source of drama for television programs?
Nothing in general. But, SuperGirl and her cast of characters seem to spend excessive amounts of show time reliving the same or similar relationship issues over and over and over and over and over and over..... My opinion, of course.

Oh, Why does Kara talk openly with her buddies about SG issues when in public places like office, coffee shops and public streets? Are the people of National City all deaf?

Back on topic, for streaming to work with the public, the service has to offer a large variety of shows and movies. Just steaming one network's shows will not be enough unless they price the product below $5 a month, IMHO. Otherwise the cumulative bill gets to high again.

It will be interesting to see how this sorts itself out.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

From what I am told, DSL service speed varies quite a bit based upon one's distance from the source of the signal and the quality of the infrastructure. So, it's very possible for one person who lives near the source to have 'snappy' DSL while a person a few miles farther away can mow the lawn while they wait for a file to download.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From what I am told, DSL service speed varies quite a bit based upon one's distance from the source of the signal and the quality of the infrastructure. So, it's very possible for one person who lives near the source to have 'snappy' DSL while a person a few miles farther away can mow the lawn while they wait for a file to download.
Yep - Dad's place got about 3mbps. A bit weak for streaming, but it actually worked most of the time. Cousin's place another half mile up the road - stuck with 1.5mpbs.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #40
Administrator

From the source. Recommended speeds by Amazon and Netflix

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201422810
Quote:
Standard Definition (SD) videos: 900 Kbits/sec
High Definition (HD) videos: 3.5 Mbits/sec
Netflix https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
Quote:
Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
True DSL should be fast enough for solo SD streaming. My last contract with AT&T (18 months ago) they offered fiber, the tech admitted it was DSL, and in the following visit admitted it was really ADSL. One issue most of us would encounter is when there are multiple devices simultaneously online competing for limited bandwidth. Video quality suffers greatly in that case.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote