Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
Old 07-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cadillac Escalade Hybrid

Now you can brag to your friends that you're reducing your dependence on foreign oil and being more environmentally friendly by getting a whole 20/21 MPG out of your new Escalade Hybrid as opposed to the 12/19 you would get if you got the standard model.

Introducing the 2009 Escalade Hybrid

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Now you can brag to your friends that you're reducing your dependence on foreign oil and being more environmentally friendly by getting a whole 20/21 MPG out of your new Escalade Hybrid as opposed to the 12/19 you would get if you got the standard model.

Introducing the 2009 Escalade Hybrid
Lol big mpg savings! But you are right. The Hybrid title will be the selling point.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$67,000 plus tax.

That would pay for all the gas I will ever use again in my entire life time in the cars I already own. And probably for an extra cheap car somewhere along the line.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

"Intelligent Indulgence", now there's a marketing guy without a clue (or at least nothing whatsoever to work with in terms of the product)!

Unfortunately I suspect it reflects what's in their pipeline - probably full of unsaleable products for many, many years. And I'd guess the same is true for Ford and Chrysler. Even though I haven't bought a 'big three' car since 1978, it's very sad...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #5

No wonder GM is headed to the scrap heap. To meet the CAFE they will be selling 5,000 skate boards for every one of these humongous things.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #6

What niche of the market are they going after? The unbelievably wealthy, gas-price sensitive gung-ho American soccer moms?
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
What niche of the market are they going after? The unbelievably wealthy, gas-price sensitive gung-ho American soccer moms?

It's the beginning of the end.....might as well file for Chapter 11 now...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just trying to keep their profit machine working. The US car company's make a lot of money on truck, SUV's and large cars. Next to nothing on small cars.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

I am loving it driving around my cheap little souped up Toyota Echo.....It was just a twelve thousand dollar car but I put some low end mag wheels on it after mistakenly jumping a concrete embankment and needing some new wheels anyway; put a CD player in it and put some cool tinting on it with black edging to go with the silver and black paint job and the car looks cool and gets thirty-four mpg. To those people who called it a TOY CAR back then.. HA!!
mathgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post

The Escalade is the favorite car of the most famous enviromentalist ever, AL Gore

there is also a Chevy Tahoe hybrid coming out soon or already out, but i think they are the same thing
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The Escalada is a GREAT car to drive. I once rented one on vacation. It's incredibly comfortable, luxurious, high-tech, prestigious, great visibility on the road. It's really a pleasure to drive.

Unfortunately, large SUVs are becoming a social faux pas, like fur coats in the 80s.

FWIW, I test-drove a Lexus RX 400h (the hybrid) over the weekend, as I'm replacing my current car. I was hoping to go hybrid, even though none of the cars I'd really like to drive are hybrids.

Well... the RX 400h sucked. Not ready for prime time. The problem is that when the hybrid technology shifts from battery to gas, you feel the engine rumbling and stuttering, as if the transmission is damaged. It happens every few minutes in city traffic. So much for my attempt to be environmental...

I wonder if others who drive hybrids experience the same issue?
CaseInPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseInPoint View Post
I wonder if others who drive hybrids experience the same issue?
My Escape hybrid has a very slight bump that you can feel when the engine kicks in. I suppose it might bother some, but I love sitting in dead silence at stop lights, and that makes up for it.

I worked in the noise and vibration area in the auto industry and once attended a customer survey clinic for diesel trucks. We asked how annoying they found turbo whine and were surprised to find that many loved it - "sounds just like a big rig". So, I guess a lot has to do with perception and expectations.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
The Escalada is a GREAT car to drive. I once rented one on vacation. It's incredibly comfortable, luxurious, high-tech, prestigious, great visibility on the road. It's really a pleasure to drive.

Unfortunately, large SUVs are becoming a social faux pas, like fur coats in the 80s.
How can it be prestigious if it's a social faux pas?

FYI if you buy one. In some circles, it's even more prestigious if you put 22's and spinners on. The football player next door (some Viking wide receiver) did that plus some some really big speakers. I was talking to his cousin on if you'd be able to put 24's on or not. He was nice, he offered my dog some grilled chicken.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
How can it be prestigious if it's a social faux pas?

FYI if you buy one. In some circles, it's even more prestigious if you put 22's and spinners on. The football player next door (some Viking wide receiver) did that plus some some really big speakers. I was talking to his cousin on if you'd be able to put 24's on or not. He was nice, he offered my dog some grilled chicken.
Yes, here, too, it's the choice of many athletes and movie stars, even though there are several more expensive SUVs on the market. The Escalade is great. Maybe a little flashy, but cool.
CaseInPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, here, too, it's the choice of many athletes and movie stars, even though there are several more expensive SUVs on the market. The Escalade is great. Maybe a little flashy, but cool.
One my my acquaintances has a business that does upgrades to Escalades for athletes. Shaq had a $50,000 stereo system put in his Escalade, along with spinners and a custom chrome grill...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #16

I used to live right near the practice facility for the Chicago Bulls. I could always tell when they had a morning practice because there was a line of Escalades sitting at the light in front of their building. What inspires 15 guys on the same team to all get the same car?
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
What inspires 15 guys on the same team to all get the same car?
One too many helmet-to-helmet hits?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
What inspires 15 guys on the same team to all get the same car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One too many helmet-to-helmet hits?
Maybe that 'bonding thing' that was discussed here

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post683310

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #19

Didn't know the Bulls wore helmets...
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #20