California Dreamin'

I knew of Charlie Sheen, but learned of this sitcom series and the character Charlie Harper only from this thread.

I read a bit about this sitcom, and find it hard to imagine such living can take place in a town like Helena or Butte, Montana, or most places in the US.

Eh, you've got to admit Malibu is different than many places. But then many other places are also unique in the same way. :)

Last edited:
Yup. People don't pay big bucks to live here because it sucks.

California is not just a geographic place. It is also a state of mind and a way of being. While I am not a resident of California, I can easily think of at least a dozen states I would put it ahead of - if I had to pick one place to live for the rest of my life.

Now, if they would tear down that darn dam in Yosemite NP, and free the Hetch Hetchy Valley, I might consider moving back. Below is the beautiful and spectacular Hetch Hetchy Valley before it was flooded.

Attachments

• Hetch Hetchy Valley.jpg
    Hetch Hetchy Valley.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
But what I unintentionally did, by mentioning the horrible mudslide in a coastal town, was not right either. I had to admit.

Imagine if someone asks about moving to Hawaii, and I would bring up the terrifying tsunami that hit Hilo in 1960.

If disasters like the above were daily occurrences, these places would be totally deserted. :LOL:

I don't know about right or wrong as long as your motives are "pure." I've lived through two tsunami "scares" since moving and I assure you that tsunamis are something to consider when moving to Hawaii. True, the possibilities are small but not zero. I actually "worry" more about hurricanes, but I've learned to live with the threat, just as I did tornado threats in the midwest.

I think it's important to be as dispassionate as possible when considering a new "homeland." It's difficult to remain dispassionate when you see places as amazing as Cali and as beautiful as Hawaii. Still, one mustn't be blinded to the negatives. As always, YMMV.

I like California a lot, particularly the coastal area, and the countryside outside of urban centers.

We have traveled quite a bit over the state over the years, from the coastal area to the High Sierra. There are many spots where we could put down roots, but not the crowded cities. Unfortunately the latter is where jobs are.

At this point, I don't need a job. But I have found my quiet place, and see no need to look for something else. I still come for a visit every so often.

California is not just a geographic place. It is also a state of mind and a way of being. While I am not a resident of California, I can easily think of at least a dozen states I would put it ahead of - if I had to pick one place to live for the rest of my life.

Now, if they would tear down that darn dam in Yosemite NP, and free the Hetch Hetchy Valley, I might consider moving back. Below is the beautiful and spectacular Hetch Hetchy Valley before it was flooded.

Haha. Keep up the good fight. Free Hetch Hetchy!

While we’re at it, Free the State of Jerrerson [emoji6]

Haha. Keep up the good fight. Free Hetch Hetchy!

While we’re at it, Free the State of Jerrerson [emoji6]

Hey, up north in Washington state, they finally managed to Free the Elwah! It can be done.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-removal-elwha-river-restoration-environment/

In August 2014, workers completed the largest dam removal project in U.S. history, as the final part of the 210-foot-high (64-meter-high) Glines Canyon Dam was dismantled on the Elwha River in northwestern Washington State.

Californians love to lead the nation in environmental issues. This would be a great way to walk the talk.

Without the Hetch Hetchy Dam, San Francisco will have to find another place to store that needed water.

It is amazing that almost 100 years ago, Californian cities already needed additional water to start building dams and water diversion projects. Los Angeles took water from Mono Lake, and brought it 350 miles south. These metropolitan areas were a lot smaller then. What other water sources have they opened up since that time?

Regarding Malibu specifically, which I know well, it's truly a little slice of paradise in spite of the ongoing natural disasters it faces. It's fronted by the Pacific Ocean, with all that that affords, and backed by the vast Santa Monica National Recreation Area, with all that that affords. Yes, people there face a certain amount of ongoing risk by living there, but those are infrequent events compared to the amazing day to day lifestyle opportunities. I'd live there in a heartbeat could I afford it. and clearly lots and lots of people feel the same, hence it's high per square foot cost.

Thanks - this is what I was looking for - a local opinion on the quality of life in Malibu and vicinity. :flowers:

If I bought the little house on the beach I mentioned in the OP (assuming that I could afford it), I suspect that my qualify of life would drop enormously. My current house is larger, has a much larger lot, is on a cul-de-sac rather than a busy road, and has a great waterfront (although not beachfront) view with excellent sunsets. It also cost me about $170 / sq ft rather than $5,700 / sq ft. Of course, my sleepy little subdivision lacks the all-important 'California vibe'. :LOL:

Lived on the coast of Central California... Lompoc. USAF. Launched rockets. Was fun, the women were beautiful but they knew a young enlisted guy like myself wouldn't meet daddy's standards. They all wanted wall street execs and the next Clint Eastwood..well not all of 'em... ;)

Would go to Santa Barbara and LA to have fun. Wild, wild a$$ times. I remember the weather being perfectly cool in the am, getting just about "hot" in the afternoon and cooling back down for an EPIC sunset run off the base.

As soon as I was discharged I had a decision, stay in the high COL area and struggle, or move back to the midwest. Here I am, in the midwest, married with 2 kids and 1 in the oven. Life is sunny...I mean funny. Damnit Cali... still California Dreamin' but I like the dreams w/o the nightmares...CA has those too!

Lompoc is the strawberry capital. One summer a few decades ago, we were driving down Highway 1 in the Voyager minivan talked about in another thread, saw strawberries sold at a roadstand, freshly picked from the farm by the side of the road.

Best strawberries ever, compared to those in supermarkets that are picked unripe. Bought some extra to bring home. They turned to mush in a day or two. And that's why supermarket strawberries are picked green and taste so lousy.

Last edited:
Lompoc is the strawberry capital. One summer a few decades ago, we were driving down Highway 1 in the Voyager minivan talked about in another thread, saw strawberries sold at a roadstand, freshly picked from the farm by the side of the road.

Best strawberries ever, compared to those in supermarkets that are picked unripe. Bought some extra to bring home. They turned to mush in a day or two. And that's why supermarket strawberries are picked green and taste so lousy.

Ya don't say! That Voyager is definitely Legendary status...

I'm sure I had a few of the strawberries on the base in my salads, etc. I will admit, after slowing down and later living on the side of Mt Haleakala on Maui, I agree that the weather permits impeccable fruits, vegatables...and basically ANYTHING you can put into the ground yields copious amounts and unbelievable sized foods! I saw a Guacamole the size of a watermelon on island once, no joke.

When they did let me outta the cage I don't think I ate all weekend lol. I was 19 and basically uncontrollable hahaha.

When I was in Italy I talked with a old man who came from a town near my father's birthplace. He got a small pension. It allowed him to pay rent, buy food/wine and enjoy a coffee a few times a week at the local bar, but not do much else. So the local town leaders gave him a job to sweep the park sidewalks and remove any trash. Once a day he went down to the local park (very small, maybe 1/6 acre) and with an old fashioned switch broom swept the dirt off the sidewalks, then picked up the trash. That provided him with spending money and the ability to visit his children in the provincial capitol once a month.

Is this better than what we do in the USA? I think so. I don't know why he has no other assets. Maybe he worked hard and lost them through no fault of his own. Maybe he was an irresponsible fool and never gave a d**m about the future. I don't know. At least he has a home, medical care, food, a bit of spending money and work with a purpose.

I would be happy for my locality to do that for seniors who need help. And that means I would pay higher taxes, along with everybody else.

Just do it efficiently.

They can have the 'bu as long as the military keeps Vandenberg. IMHO much greater asset to our country.

Never forget the first time I drove into Cali, getting to my first 'official' duty station in .mil Come up through San Fernando valley as the sun rose unto Thousand Oaks. California Dreamin' Thanks for the memories.

A couple minor points from someone who's lived in the area for many years:

Everyone around here knew La Conchita was dangerous long before the fatal mudslides. I used to stop up there on my way to Santa Barbara as far back as the late '80s and the risk was known back then. There was a long history of smaller slides and creep every rainy season and for that reason property values were already FAR below anywhere else on the coast. Folks that lived there ignored the risk so they could have their affordable slice of coastal heaven - and paid the price.

I'm glad you mentioned this about that area. When I lived in Manhattan Beach, we drove by this area on our way to visit our son at UC Santa Barbara. I wondered what the story was since the homes were clearly not well maintained, I researched it and found that yes, everyone was warned about the danger of living there. When the slide happened and I saw that husband on TV sobbing about losing his wife and children, I felt anger at him for putting his children in this situation, the worst case scenario did happen as he had been warned it could.

Central Californian here. For what it’s worth, most of the benefits can be had and still be within a 10 min bike ride of the ocean. Houses where I live range from 650k to 1.5m, the latter being over 2000sqft with all the trimmings you might get in the mid-west.

Who and why do people live here? In my area it’s a mix of retirees, highly paid professionals, students and a mix of folks who have lived here generations (many live closer to the ocean as their ancestors chose real estate wisely). As for why? The vibe is not quite island time (Hawaii or the Florida keys for that), but something in between this and a small town vibe. Friendly, easy going and relaxed.... when I come home and breath the ocean air.... you just relax. I have colleagues who live in the central valley, and it feels just gogogo over there, everyone pecking away at keyboards in cafes, stressing about politics, running around to do this or that.... over here courtesy of our population mix (thank-you retirees!) no such vibe.

The ocean being a short bike ride away, or minutes in a car, you can sit on your favorite bench and just watch the world go by, contemplate the next FIRE milestone, or read a good book on the beach. Sunsets are particularly intoxicating, as you can’t help but think you are the last folks seeing the day end on the continent, and there’s something oddly satisfying about that (probably similar for east coast sunrise).

Weather here is ideal. 70s nearly all year round, with occasional bursts into the 90s and 60s in the summer and winter respectively. Not too hot, not too cold. Rain and fog add variety and break the monotony of our weather in a way our central valley cousins don’t get.

I should mention, I grew up in the center of the continent, so perhaps I appreciate it all a bit more. At this point, being near the ocean somewhere is a requirement for my FIRE plan. Florida, Hawaii and here in California are all on my list. Florida is a bit more flat and stormy but has a nice tax situation; Hawaii is gorgeous and a paradise but is a bit isolated; California is rugged perfection, but taxes are high.... tough choices.

The high home prices in Southern California are driven by a lot of wealthy households moving in. People come here for the weather, lifestyle, access to good education, healthcare and high paying jobs. For long term home owners who own their homes free and clear, it is actually pretty inexpensive living in California. Proposition 13 protects you from run-away property taxes. It costs us less to live in a modern 5 bedroom 3 bath 3400 Sqft home with a pool than our 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo in Florida. Florida coastal communities (except for holes like Riviera Beach) are nice but venture in a few miles inland and it goes down hill pretty fast. This is why they have so many gated communities inland. The weather in South Florida is unbearable in July and August and many places turn into ghost towns during those months.

Many people whine about the cost of living in California but consider that many of those same people bought their homes for $250K in the mid 90's now carry $900K mortgages on the same property today and wonder why they can't afford to retire in California. Those whiners can leave for all I care and live irresponsibly in another state and take their problems with them.

We considered a move to Florida, but after owning property there for 8 1/2 years and compared living in the two states, we prefer California. The quality of life is much better here. Visit Santa Monica California and see how clean cities that ban smoking in public places can be.

I have said it before, but we live in the best kept secret in Southern Calif. It is called Ventura. People are so busy driving Hwy 101 between LA and Santa Barbara they do not notice it.
We live in a +55 MHP where the new 2 br 2ba manufactured homes run around 250K.
Life is good:D.

I have said it before, but we live in the best kept secret in Southern Calif. It is called Ventura. People are so busy driving Hwy 101 between LA and Santa Barbara they do not notice it.
We live in a +55 MHP where the new 2 br 2ba manufactured homes run around 250K.
Life is good:D.

My parents and sister used to live near Ventura - Camarillo and 1000 Oaks.

My advice to you is to shut-up. I can see streams of over taxed New Yorkers, flooded out mid Westerners, frozen New Englanders, and hurricane weary Floridians invading the area like a hoard of locust.

Do yourself and your neighbors a favor. Keep quiet. Consider starting a Lesser Ventura group. Publicize how the entire area will be flooded in 10 years when the ocean rises, right? Of course. Mention the high taxes, goofy politicians, travel bans, high gasoline prices and the lack of good foie gras.

Back
Top Bottom