Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They can have the 'bu as long as the military keeps Vandenberg. IMHO much greater asset to our country.

Never forget the first time I drove into Cali, getting to my first 'official' duty station in .mil Come up through San Fernando valley as the sun rose unto Thousand Oaks. California Dreamin' Thanks for the memories.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
A couple minor points from someone who's lived in the area for many years:

Everyone around here knew La Conchita was dangerous long before the fatal mudslides. I used to stop up there on my way to Santa Barbara as far back as the late '80s and the risk was known back then. There was a long history of smaller slides and creep every rainy season and for that reason property values were already FAR below anywhere else on the coast. Folks that lived there ignored the risk so they could have their affordable slice of coastal heaven - and paid the price.
I'm glad you mentioned this about that area. When I lived in Manhattan Beach, we drove by this area on our way to visit our son at UC Santa Barbara. I wondered what the story was since the homes were clearly not well maintained, I researched it and found that yes, everyone was warned about the danger of living there. When the slide happened and I saw that husband on TV sobbing about losing his wife and children, I felt anger at him for putting his children in this situation, the worst case scenario did happen as he had been warned it could.
Sunnymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:20 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Central Californian here. For what it’s worth, most of the benefits can be had and still be within a 10 min bike ride of the ocean. Houses where I live range from 650k to 1.5m, the latter being over 2000sqft with all the trimmings you might get in the mid-west.

Who and why do people live here? In my area it’s a mix of retirees, highly paid professionals, students and a mix of folks who have lived here generations (many live closer to the ocean as their ancestors chose real estate wisely). As for why? The vibe is not quite island time (Hawaii or the Florida keys for that), but something in between this and a small town vibe. Friendly, easy going and relaxed.... when I come home and breath the ocean air.... you just relax. I have colleagues who live in the central valley, and it feels just gogogo over there, everyone pecking away at keyboards in cafes, stressing about politics, running around to do this or that.... over here courtesy of our population mix (thank-you retirees!) no such vibe.

The ocean being a short bike ride away, or minutes in a car, you can sit on your favorite bench and just watch the world go by, contemplate the next FIRE milestone, or read a good book on the beach. Sunsets are particularly intoxicating, as you can’t help but think you are the last folks seeing the day end on the continent, and there’s something oddly satisfying about that (probably similar for east coast sunrise).

Weather here is ideal. 70s nearly all year round, with occasional bursts into the 90s and 60s in the summer and winter respectively. Not too hot, not too cold. Rain and fog add variety and break the monotony of our weather in a way our central valley cousins don’t get.

I should mention, I grew up in the center of the continent, so perhaps I appreciate it all a bit more. At this point, being near the ocean somewhere is a requirement for my FIRE plan. Florida, Hawaii and here in California are all on my list. Florida is a bit more flat and stormy but has a nice tax situation; Hawaii is gorgeous and a paradise but is a bit isolated; California is rugged perfection, but taxes are high.... tough choices.
TheHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #44

The high home prices in Southern California are driven by a lot of wealthy households moving in. People come here for the weather, lifestyle, access to good education, healthcare and high paying jobs. For long term home owners who own their homes free and clear, it is actually pretty inexpensive living in California. Proposition 13 protects you from run-away property taxes. It costs us less to live in a modern 5 bedroom 3 bath 3400 Sqft home with a pool than our 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo in Florida. Florida coastal communities (except for holes like Riviera Beach) are nice but venture in a few miles inland and it goes down hill pretty fast. This is why they have so many gated communities inland. The weather in South Florida is unbearable in July and August and many places turn into ghost towns during those months.

Many people whine about the cost of living in California but consider that many of those same people bought their homes for $250K in the mid 90's now carry $900K mortgages on the same property today and wonder why they can't afford to retire in California. Those whiners can leave for all I care and live irresponsibly in another state and take their problems with them.

We considered a move to Florida, but after owning property there for 8 1/2 years and compared living in the two states, we prefer California. The quality of life is much better here. Visit Santa Monica California and see how clean cities that ban smoking in public places can be.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are inexpensive areas in California. Usually, inland and in the dessert. Check out Yucca Valley.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=e81ca...=2&form=S00027

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #46

I have said it before, but we live in the best kept secret in Southern Calif. It is called Ventura. People are so busy driving Hwy 101 between LA and Santa Barbara they do not notice it.
We live in a +55 MHP where the new 2 br 2ba manufactured homes run around 250K.
Life is good.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I have said it before, but we live in the best kept secret in Southern Calif. It is called Ventura. People are so busy driving Hwy 101 between LA and Santa Barbara they do not notice it.
We live in a +55 MHP where the new 2 br 2ba manufactured homes run around 250K.
Life is good.
My parents and sister used to live near Ventura - Camarillo and 1000 Oaks.

My advice to you is to shut-up. I can see streams of over taxed New Yorkers, flooded out mid Westerners, frozen New Englanders, and hurricane weary Floridians invading the area like a hoard of locust.

Do yourself and your neighbors a favor. Keep quiet. Consider starting a Lesser Ventura group. Publicize how the entire area will be flooded in 10 years when the ocean rises, right? Of course. Mention the high taxes, goofy politicians, travel bans, high gasoline prices and the lack of good foie gras.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I left Thousand Oaks in 1992 so there is a spot for at least one new deserving family.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

An excellent fish house in Ventura.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote