Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So now they're saying 90% of the grapes have already been harvested with only 10% to go. Only five wineries are confirmed destroyed, but we won't know the full extent until this is all out

My sister shop is reopening part-time today. They're a block south of the fountaingrove hotel which of course is gone
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's very smokey here in the central valley. You can smell it as well as see it. Yeah, good time to stay indoors.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #23

Just stepped outside and you can really smell it here...mid-Peninsula, which means the winds have kicked up. On my walk early this morning, no smell, but that 800lb Gorilla on my chest affected me to the point I kept it short and on the level.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This. I don't tend to watch the cable news coverage, anyway...but I was surprised at the lack of coverage. ....
I don't watch much news, but the OTA Chicago-area stations all seem to be covering it. Including the sad "human interest" stories of some victims standing next to their burnt out home, just the fireplace standing.

Is there a website that documents the minutes of coverage of a topic at various news shows? That would be interesting.

Any natural disaster is sad, so many people affected. This is a little worse for me, as from what I understand, many of these people were not in areas where fires like this are expected? It's still sad when a fire goes through any area, but if you build a home in an area where fires are common, it's a little harder to muster up too much empathy. In some cases, it's a matter of "when", not "if", so if you chose to build in a place like that, well, I think you just have to accept the outcome.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Latest Facebook update for Safari West: We now have a good crew working back up at the preserve and are happy to report that the animals are doing amazingly well. While Safari West is standing, there are repairs to be made and much work to be done.

In related news:
Seventeen fires erupted in a period of about two hours when it was unusually windy. The experts are looking at downed power lines and arson as possible causes. PG&E was fined recently for failing to maintain power lines for a big fire in 2015 and they were also responsible for the San Bruno explosion for not maintaining pipelines, so they are going to be looked at pretty closely this time:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...450303083.html

"After the current wildfires broke out, The Mercury News found that Sonoma County dispatchers sent fire crews to at least 10 locations for sparking wires, exploding electrical transformers, fallen power lines and other electrical problems in Sunday night's high winds. "
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #26

Watching the local news and they are pre-empting the program following for news of the north bay fires. They are showing the Coffey neighborhood in Santa Rosa and it's incredible. This area is not a fire zone area and it truly looks like a bomb was dropped. Street after street after street is nothing but rubble. It's utter devastation.

Weather conditions are getting worse.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #27

The death toll is up to 21 and the authorities are starting to match the missing to properties that have burned. They will reportedly begin excavating rubble today.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #28

Shelters and rescues are shifting animals out of Sonoma and Napa Counties to make room for the expected influx from the fire areas. A friend transported from Marin to San Francisco and here is a video of a rescue that pulled from Petaluma Animal Services, south of Santa Rosa (scroll down and click on the video).

https://www.facebook.com/pali.bouche...dX-WlkBtWlY-Y8
Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The death toll is up to 21 and the authorities are starting to match the missing to properties that have burned. They will reportedly begin excavating rubble today.
That's a good idea, but of course some would have gotten out, but might not have made the drive out of the area safely either.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Looking at the ARCgis website it also looks like there are also hot spots in the vicinity of Martinez, Richmand and something contained near Hercules... there are large refineries and chemical plants around there. CalFire needs help fast!!
Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That's a good idea, but of course some would have gotten out, but might not have made the drive out of the area safely either.
Cell service is spotty and a number of towers are down. Communication is difficult and some of the small towns are isolated. My understanding is that the focus is on the destroyed areas of Santa Rosa and some towns where the fire has moved through but have road access.

The fires continue to grow and the winds have picked up. One of the fires is moving south through Green Valley towards Fairfield. Lots of suburban subdivisions there.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The fires continue to grow and the winds have picked up. One of the fires is moving south through Green Valley towards Fairfield. Lots of suburban subdivisions there.
Fairchild AFB is just to the east of Fairfield.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Fairchild AFB is just to the east of Fairfield.

Travis AFB is in Fairfield and, yes, the winds shifted to North winds now driving fires toward I-80 from Napa/Sonoma area and have have caused more damage today. So hard to comprehend! I'm in the Sacramento area to the east so it's on our local news.
I heard there were 50 helicopter rescues of people from rooftops.

Also many old folks were evacuated from nursing homes in that area to other locations. Many folks had no notice to leave their homes. The shifting winds are making it very difficult to contain.
Travelfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Looking at the ARCgis website it also looks like there are also hot spots in the vicinity of Martinez, Richmand and something contained near Hercules... there are large refineries and chemical plants around there. CalFire needs help fast!!
Contra Costa County (Martinez, Richmond, Hercules) are not affected other than supplying support personnel (2 of our Clayton CalFire trucks -- we're cattle country) and poor air quality. I would know if they were as we have a top-notch cell phone alert system which would go countywide on something like this. The Amber Alerts and Lookouts always do. I live on the North Face of Mount Diablo which is part of Contra Costa County, in a little town of Clayton. In fact when the other side of the mountain burned between us and Livermore we were all told to shelter-in-place then. But that was two years ago. The smoke here is so bad it's like sitting down wind from a campfire. But I understand it's like that all over Northern California. I just keep hoping that my sister and her son are fine. But their cell service is down again as are 73 of the cell towers
Old 10-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #35

Also nothing in any search about it. I grew up in that area. I have family in Santa Rosa. Three evacuated to another's house. All ready to evacuate and keeping things wet. Wetting down rooftops int the Oakland Hills fire of 1991 saved many houses. Hard to do when there are diablo winds.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Mandatory evacuations for the entire city of Calistoga
Old 10-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #36

Mandatory evacuations for the entire city of Calistoga

Unfortunately that's where three of the evacuation centers are. So now they have to evacuate all of those people from northern Santa Rosa. They're running out of places to send people up there
Old 10-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #37

In the South Bay, it's so smoky that I can barely see the hills to the east and I can't see the mountains to the west. The smoke makes it look more like sunset than mid-afternoon. Closed all the windows, but it's still hard to breathe.

The areas of Fairfield under evacuation and pre-evacuation alert are in the northwest part, northwest of I-80.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We live 3 1/2 hours away and the smoke is awful. WE are also taking some of their animals.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

The entire town of Calistoga is being ordered evacuated. I was hoping the worst was over but that may have been too optimistic.
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Contra Costa County (Martinez, Richmond, Hercules) are not affected other than supplying support personnel (2 of our Clayton CalFire trucks -- we're cattle country) and poor air quality. I would know if they were as we have a top-notch cell phone alert system which would go countywide on something like this.
There is a statewide fire map here - nothing showing in Hercules, Martinez or Richmond or any part of the East Bay:

CAL FIRE - California Statewide Fire Map
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote