Call me a Fool

Yep - pretty much why we never tried to earn money at our photography in spite of being constantly urged to do so because our work was so "professional". Figured it would ruin the experience and I'm quite sure it would have.

People still constantly pester DH to teach photography classes, and he pretty much answers "no way".
I've managed to get a few photos published (average of one per year), with very minimal effort (and minimal reward). But I do it for fun, and see me doing it more so in the future. I dive and shoot photos for fun mostly, but have dabbled in underwater portraiture (underwater wedding, underwater pregnancy shoot, underwater tour submarines shoot). So far, I've been unsuccessful in selling my story ideas!

An old guy working in Lowes or HD is asking for trouble.

You would be "on the bottom" and have the worst hours (say 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM, 3 days per week), have no benefits (you are part time), be lifting heavy stuff or unloading trucks, and have a 25 year old female boss who hated her father.

I think the only real "side-hustle" available for us old dudes is to marshall at a public golf course

Yes, you are a fool. Because you checked the over 40 box, they likely will offer a job. I suspect that question is due to a consent decree on an age discrimination issue in the past, so now you go to the front of the line for a nice back breaking position ;).

Be careful of what you ask for. ;)

If you do not need money, how 'bout doing your own gardening in your backyard?

My wife is into gardening a lot more than I am - I am just helping out with harder but less frequent work like tilling the soil. We only have a normal urban lot, but if my wife has 1 acre, I think she will manage to fill it with trees and plants.

Gardening in my own yard is fun. But spending hours pulling weeds, raking leaves, mowing, not so much.

There is a garden place not far from my house that has everything, including an inside store where they sell lunch items, like homemade soup and pie. I go there sometimes just to walk around and enjoy the peacefulness. It’s surrounded by farms, which makes it extra nice.

I just want to get through the next few months taking care of sick kids and staying out of the way of the new medical director, who thinks that sending out 20 emails per day, demanding immediate responses, each with links to power point presentations, is his job. I think if he could he would see patients by email.

Each day of w**k is one day closer to no longer working.

Back
Top Bottom