Join Early Retirement Today

Calling All Lazy Boys
Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Calling All Lazy Boys

Since recliners are such an important component of a successful retirement, here's a tip.

Today I replaced the "pawl rack" on my four-year-old La-z-boy recliner (part supplied free from the company).

Compare the old (on the top) and new,

and you'll see that the teeth towards the bottom have been rounded off. As a result, the chair wouldn't hold in the full reclined position. This is a serious problem.

You can avoid this problem if you learn to rock back before releasing the handle.

The surgery wasn't too hard, except that it used non-standard bolts, and I needed a fabric consult from Dr. Lena.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the "preventative tip," maybe it will save me the trouble you had.
We've had the same Lazy Boy for 30 years, and my Dad used it for 10 years before that. We had it re-upholstered 20 years ago (which cost about the same as a new low-end recliner), and am glad we did, as it is still in good shape and the most comfortable seat in the house. I don't know if they still make 'em that well.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Since recliners are such an important component of a successful retirement,
Not always! Only if you like them.

I will never own another Lazy Boy because I think unjamming them is a huge hassle and I don't need the challenge. For me, an old fashioned easy chair with ottoman is the way to go. Ah... so relaxing! And they never need unjamming.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Not always! Only if you like them.

I will never own another Lazy Boy because I think unjamming them is a huge hassle and I don't need the challenge. For me, an old fashioned easy chair with ottoman is the way to go. Ah... so relaxing! And they never need unjamming.
I've owned Lazy Boy recliners (3 of them) for about 7 years now and they have been trouble free and quite comfortable so far. I didn't know of the unjamming issue with these recliners. What is it exactly?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I've owned Lazy Boy recliners (3 of them) for about 7 years now and they have been trouble free and quite comfortable so far. I didn't know of the unjamming issue with these recliners. What is it exactly?
I guess I'm an idiot! When I had them, I jammed them all the time.

But then, come to think of it, so did my ex-husband, and so does everyone I have ever known with one. In fact, when the Salvation Army picked up the last one I will ever own, they said they get jammed ones all the time that people have given up on, but they know how to fix them.

Sounds to me like you are a genius with recliners! You should go into business for LazyBoy. But me, I'd rather sit in my easy chair and enjoy life, than work like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I guess I'm an idiot! When I had them, I jammed them all the time.

But then, come to think of it, so did my ex-husband, and so does everyone I have ever known with one. In fact, when the Salvation Army picked up the last one I will ever own, they said they get jammed ones all the time that people have given up on, but they know how to fix them.

Sounds to me like you are a genius with recliners! You should go into business for LazyBoy. But me, I'd rather sit in my easy chair and enjoy life, than work like that.
No, I'm really the dummy on this. The Lazy Boy you had - how did it jam? was there a particular setting that would bring this jamming on? Maybe I've just been lucky and I just don't do whatever it is that brings on this issue. Maybe in that case I'd be better off not to know uh?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote