Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Calling Computer Tech Savy individuals
Old 08-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Calling Computer Tech Savy individuals

HELP!!!! My Google Search Engine is directing me to different sites. None of the Anti Virus programs I have tried work against this

Upon reading up on it, I understand it is a root kit virus, called by TDSS among other names, it has hijacked both, my IE and Moxilla browsers and when I double click on any of the websites listed which come up, on the search, it redirects to nonsense websites. IT HAS TAKEN OVER.

So far, I have tried Spybot, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, AOL Computer check up and counting among others, with no success.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks and regards
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Administrator

Google redirect virus. A real PITA. Try tdsskiller Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Reboot to Safe Mode, and look for the hosts file in C:\Windows\System32 folder.
Open it with notepad and check to see that all lines are commented out with a "#" character.

Close the file and add a .bak extension so that Windows does not use the file, and reboot. It could be the TDSS thing, but also check for this problem.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Thanks guys,

I have tried the Kaspersky tdsskiller.exe 2 times with no success,
I am not able to follow the steps in the second suggestion above and a good possibility I will mess it up even more if I try.
I find out the TDSS has infected thousands of computers world wide and a lot of people are in distress due to this darn thing. It does have me at my wits end.

Thanks though
Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Administrator

Sorry about that. The google redirect is a nasty SOB. It took me a couple of days. Persevere. Try combofix ComboFix | freeware
Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

http://www.2-viruses.com/how-to-fix-...-virus-problem

That link has specifics on how to fix various redirect problems.

Reboot to safe mode and food the instructions.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Heres some step-by-step instructions with TDSS killer:

How to remove Google Redirects or the TDSS, TDL3, or Alureon rootkit using TDSSKiller

Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If it is bad enough you might have to reformat the drive and start from scratch. But how many people create a system disk or image? It always irritates me that no one includes an OS disk with new PCs anymore.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I had a similar problem and ended up downloading some pretty potent software. I've forgotten the details, but it did work but caused a whole host of other issues with my computer that I've had to fix over many, many hours. I wish I had a simple solution, but all I can do is caution you to be careful.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rus-60283.html
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #10

If you don't have good backups of your data and copies of programs to reinstall, you may want to take it to a professional for "eradication". It will probably cost $100-$200. But be warned - some of these viruses are so nasty that the only practical way to eradicate is to reformat the disk and start over, so please discuss this with the professional as they may be able to backup your documents/photos/etc. first. Good luck!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Found another option to try to fix:

Remove Google redirect virus
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If it is bad enough you might have to reformat the drive and start from scratch. But how many people create a system disk or image? It always irritates me that no one includes an OS disk with new PCs anymore.
After being burned a few times in the past (PC won't boot, system file corrupted, for example) I do use some freebie hard drive imaging software to make my own image of a clean system that I can get back to just in case.

Some manufacturers (such as Dell) place an image of the original system on a recovery partition. So after moving important data externally, one my be able to recover from this partition.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Have to repeat that it is unlikely a standard user will get rid of everything in one pass. It usually takes me at least a few hours to identify, mitigate, remove, etc. I have had almost 100% success removing simple and complicated Malware. But it is probably the most confounding thing I do. Very hard to describe how I wrangle these beasts.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure how the OP's computer got infected at the fist place. Generally, it's safer to login as a non-privileged user account for daily use, instead of admin. So if there's any damage done, deliberately or inadvertently, the impact scope will be localized instead of vital system files (assuming no lousy OS kernel code here). Fortunately, M$ hasn't patented this common sense practice yet. We will see if Apple will make the claim or not.

For some malware infections, they can be remedied by logging as admin to remove the infected account and its associated files, then recreating it from scratch. This approach won't work if the system files have already been compromised.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #15

You could also try doing a system restore. Boot to safe mode and Start, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Pick the most recent date that you know 100% for sure is prior to the infection.

Otherwise, you may be best to take it to a pro. Rootkits are particularly nasty and hard to get rid of.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
After being burned a few times in the past (PC won't boot, system file corrupted, for example) I do use some freebie hard drive imaging software to make my own image of a clean system that I can get back to just in case.
I'm amazed at how many people don't do that. It's one of the things I really liked about the Mac - that was a very simple thing to do (and not just do it, but actually boot from the clone to verify it, w/o having to actually re-install).

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Some manufacturers (such as Dell) place an image of the original system on a recovery partition. So after moving important data externally, one my be able to recover from this partition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Have to repeat that it is unlikely a standard user will get rid of everything in one pass. It usually takes me at least a few hours to identify, mitigate, remove, etc. I have had almost 100% success removing simple and complicated Malware. But it is probably the most confounding thing I do. Very hard to describe how I wrangle these beasts.
target2019 - is reformatting the infected partition, and then recovering from the recovery partition (if installed) a solution, or does the malware embed itself beyond that?

Another good tool for these issues is to have linux installed on a USB thumb drive. You can boot from that and look around, w/o any Windows malware issues. You might even decide to switch to Linux after that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #17

I am finding it very frustrating to keep running one anti viral program after another with no success whatsoever. I will take a sanity break tonight and will get back to it tomorrow evening. Keep the suggestions coming, hopefully one will work

The darn Google redirect virus #@#@^&%

Thanks a lot for helping me out guys
Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
target2019 - is reformatting the infected partition, and then recovering from the recovery partition (if installed) a solution, or does the malware embed itself beyond that?
I don't know what the total count of viruses/Malware is, or what all possibilities may be, but I suspect anything is possible. For instance, a boot sector virus would still remain after your scenario.

WRT using Linux boot, that might be something beyond the average user.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser
I am finding it very frustrating to keep running one anti viral program after another with no success whatsoever. I will take a sanity break tonight and will get back to it tomorrow evening. Keep the suggestions coming, hopefully one will work

The darn Google redirect virus #@#@^&%

Thanks a lot for helping me out guys
Has any trusted anti virus solution given you positive results? Or are you diagnosing this from symptoms?

Are you able to boot to safe mode with networking?

What about system restore? Are you familiar with that?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Has any trusted anti virus solution given you positive results? Or are you diagnosing this from symptoms?
The problem is the major antivirus programs, like Norton, Trend Micro, don't do anything to the google redirect virus. You can have great antivirus protection and still get infected. It appears to evolve, so the solution for one computer does not always work for others. Google support function has many threads on this covering different tools. My suggestion is to read through the threads there looking for solutions. Here is a link http://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!search/Redirect$20virus