Calling the USA from abroad (Mexico)...your experiences

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I found several sites online (and am glad I looked at reviews shortly thereafter) which offer toll free access numbers in Mexico (I'll be there next month).

I simply call in, enter my pin, and can call the USA for about 13 cents/minute plus up to $1 per call connection charge.

What companies have you used successfully? Many reviews say its tough to even get the connection a lot of the time, poor customer service and billing, etc.

I only plan on loading an account with $25 or so to call and check on the kids, but dont want to get ripped off!

Spoke with a friend of mine today. I'm in Cape Cod, he and his spouse are in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. He used his MagicJack VOIP device. The call was free. Initial cost for the MagicJack device and one year of service is forty bucks. Twenty dollars a year thereafter. You do need a computer (he brings an inexpensive ACER laptop with him when he travels). Just plug in a regular phone into the regular phone jack of the MagicJack and make the call. Good for all calls to the US and Canada, from anywhere on the face of the planet.

I bought one after seeing his work while with him in Canada. A great travel phone option and I use mine as a second line when in the house.

Just a thought.

Rich

Spoke with a friend of mine today. I'm in Cape Cod, he and his spouse are in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. He used his MagicJack VOIP device. The call was free. Initial cost for the MagicJack device and one year of service is forty bucks. Twenty dollars a year thereafter. You do need a computer (he brings an inexpensive ACER laptop with him when he travels). Just plug in a regular phone into the regular phone jack of the MagicJack and make the call. Good for all calls to the US and Canada, from anywhere on the face of the planet.

I bought one after seeing his work while with him in Canada. A great travel phone option and I use mine as a second line when in the house.

Just a thought.

Rich

i actually thought about that. was going to give it a shot actually...just concerned with the internet speed at our hotel. my partner just got majicjack and LOVES it

FWIW, I was very pleased during a European trip last year to be able to use my iPhone normally. Having both Skype and Truphone apps on it was a bonus.

I used Skype on my computer when I was in Mexico. Cost to call a non-Skype cell or land-line phone in the US was $.02/min, no connection cost. You do have to have an internet connection, but that is usually available free at your hotel or for a small fee in an internet cafe. A headset speaker/receiver (think old telephone operaters) helps eliminate distortion and keeps your conversation more private. A headset and a netbook work great for keeping in touch and informed and take up little space.

Could the kids call you instead? Just saw a piece about freephone2phone.com in the NY Times recently - you call a local number and listen to a recorded ad, then get to dial the number you want to call. I haven't tried it, but if it's in the NYT I figure it's legit.

they're a little young and grandma's a little old to figure that out lol ^

I've been able to use Magic Jack all over the world. And, since you have a USA phone number anyone can call you as long as you have your computer and phone hooked to the internet.

i was hoping not to magic jack it....but if nobody gives me a good alternative i guess i'll be picking one up at walmart and hoping my internet connection is fast enough at the hotel

thefed:

One last thing. I've used both an inexpensive (cheapest I could find at Staples...) telephone and a headset with my MagicJack. I've found the headset seems to work better. Could have been just a poor quality telephone ($30 bucks) but no one complains about the quality of my voice when using the headphone.

Rich

Before MJ, I used to use jajah.com because it avoids the usurious hotel charges. You schedule incoming calls to both places via the internet. Works to Mexican cell phones as well.

got a magic jack today. it works wonderfully! i cant believe it works so well on my laptop with wifi connection while streaming a netflix movie thru the same connection.

Streaming might be OK but try to avoid maxing out on utorrent uploads. I find that I have to suspend uploads to get no appreciable delay. The clarity is clear though.

Skype and Magic Jack both work, but be aware that typical internet speeds in Mexico are a tiny fraction of what you are used to back home. This is especially true of upload speeds. You don't want to have other apps open when you call and may need to turn off your Skype video as well, but it beats the heck out of calling cards or using land lines.

I just ran Speedtest.net on our Telmex wireless here at Lake Chapala. Download is .85mb/s, upload .10. That's about 9 times slower than the slowest speed I've experienced in the U.S.

Last edited:
It's been a few years since I used to travel internationally but I used to use the phone service in Internet cafes. It was relatively cheap to call home.

I have just been introduced to SkypeOut. (Must pre-pay.) I am using it from Azerbaijan to call the US and Canada (so far). It calls land lines and mobile phones. It is marvellous!

The connection I have today is slow (very slow), but I get an HD video of my my wife very well, although the picture of me is small and choppy. It works great on my netbook.

I must investigate some of the other options above, now.

Cheers!

My friend is experimenting with Google Voice and so far it seems to be working better than his magicjack. Calling from Vancouver to Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom