Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Can anyone read this?
Old 08-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #1

Can anyone read this?

Since there always seem to be a few of our members who are experts in whatever odd task is needed, I'd like to ask if anyone can decipher this handwriting. I'm trying to do a little genealogy and this one defeats me.

It's from a church register in a small town in Germany, documenting a baptism in 1790. It's in Latin, as were all these records until the 19th century when they switched to German. I've excerpted the part that stumps me. This is the part that shows the child's parents. I get that the father was John Henry, and the mother was Anna Gertrude, but the the rest of it baffles me.

The handwriting is sloppy, but any guesses would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png baptism.png (235.4 KB, 126 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Third line clearly says:
"U hoent ingly bug worthengrn"
Sorry, don't speak Latin or old German, so can't translate.
no need to thank me.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if the third line refers to where/who hosted the baptism?
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
no need to thank me.
Gotcha covered.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
I wonder if the third line refers to where/who hosted the baptism?
No, it's the section that identifies the parents. We know exactly where it was done.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Can you provide a larger clip, with translation? Seeing how letters are written elsewhere may help identify some of these.

That said, my guess is the first word is Joannes ? then Henri u? y? Second word on second line looks like maybe Anna?
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

Did you read the OP?

Quote:
father was John Henry, and the mother was Anna Gertrude
Old 08-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops, sorry.

But still, a larger sample of the handwriting might help.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
Oops, sorry.

But still, a larger sample of the handwriting might help.
It wouldn't. I have several pages of the register, before and after this one, and it all looks like this. I can decipher it in most cases and I'm familiar with that German script and what the letters look like. I was hoping that someone fluent in Latin might be able to guess what these words are.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:29 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I give up, since I can't even tell what the letters are. Sorry.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
OK, I give up, since I can't even tell what the letters are. Sorry.
Hey, I still appreciate the effort. These listings are mostly formulaic, so it's generally possible to understand them. This particular one just has such sloppy handwriting that it eludes me.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have my Old German dictionary with me at the moment, but in my research, the parents are usually described by their occupation or land owner status and whether they were practicing member of that church.

After Gertrud, it may read "hubler", which is a full size parcel of land. I'll get back to you later, as I am not home, and actually going through old Vienna church records.

Also, church records back then weren't necessarily required to be in one language or another, it depended on the education of the priest. He may have been educated in a Latin based school, or in the native tongue. Since governments changed often, the Churches of the time took it upon themselves to keep records and vital statistics. And spellings of the time were phonetic, not necessarily exact.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I don't have my Old German dictionary with me at the moment, but in my research, the parents are usually described by their occupation or land owner status and whether they were practicing member of that church.
Thanks, but none of the other entries in this register are so described. What comes after Gertrude may be her maiden name, split into two parts, plus some additional text.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #14

After Gertrud, there's something like a y with a dot or a j. Beyond that, there's some resemblance between the s in Joannes and the first character of the next word, which I assume is their surname or the mother's maiden name. There may be a c, then h, l, e, p or f, r. So, it could be Schlefr or Shlepr or something similar.

I wonder if the next line says something about where they live, e.g. "residing in the town of [illegible]".

Do you have a death record for the child that gives a name or place of birth? Or any other information about these people that could provide some context?
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Do you have a death record for the child that gives a name or place of birth? Or any other information about these people that could provide some context?
I know where he was born (in the village where this church is located). I know his full name (which is not in this excerpt, to preserve my anonymity). The mystery part is what comes after the mother's name. I really do think that her maiden name is probably what comes after Anna Gertrude, but it's all in Latin and obviously extremely hard to read.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #16

Probably not much help, but I asked a friend who knows german and is familiar with reading different script. For the last row, they think it’s ‘uhorst inghfy buy’ or ‘inghty’. They have no idea about the last word.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Probably not much help, but I asked a friend who knows german and is familiar with reading different script. For the last row, they think it’s ‘uhorst inghfy buy’ or ‘inghty’. They have no idea about the last word.
Thanks. Doesn't sound much like Latin to me, and I agree that's kinda what it looks like, but not much help. Sigh.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

maybe obvious question, but have you tried google translate?
I have only used it very rarely, so don't know if it would help with old languages.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
maybe obvious question, but have you tried google translate?
I have only used it very rarely, so don't know if it would help with old languages.
Well, that's the problem. If I knew exactly what it said, I could translate it myself.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

A long time ago I studied for the equivalent of two years of college Latin. In my moderately-educated opinion, that last line doesn't look like Latin. In particular, the last word is quite long, and from what I know longer words are more likely to be German than Latin.

Also, the first word looks to me like "hoest", which Google translate thinks is Dutch. I don't know the word, and I don't know Dutch, but it sounds more Germanic than Latin to me as well. And Dutch is related to German.

So my suggestion would be to find a German professor either at a nearby university or one with whom you have some sort of connection and show it to them.

I suspect that in order to translate it, you're going to need to find someone who is fluent in the language in which it is written - the context of knowing the language is probably what will be required to crack what it says. For example, the mark that looks like a tilde above and to the right of the third word ("buy"?) could very well be indicating an abbreviation or an elision. If so, guessing a partial word like that probably requires a native speaker. You could do it in English - for example if I wrote abbr~ you'd know what word I meant, but that's only by context and because you're a native English speaker (I think).

My bet is that it is some sort of old German.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote