Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Can I retire at MRA 56 without losing too much benefits
Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Can I retire at MRA 56 without losing too much benefits

I am a Fed civilian employee, age 56 and thinking about retiring at 56. I've read that I could loose about 30% of montly earning. Does anyone have any specifics about the whole picture; TSP and social security??
Any info would be appreciated...
enano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This site may be useful.
Retirement Eligibility

Click on either CSRS or FERS and it will take you to tables with the basic requirements.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by enano View Post
I am a Fed civilian employee, age 56 and thinking about retiring at 56. I've read that I could loose about 30% of montly earning. Does anyone have any specifics about the whole picture; TSP and social security??
Any info would be appreciated...
i would be happy to help you through it but i will need specifics: years of service, average high 3 salary, TSP balance, projected SS, other assets and income streams.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #4

I'm interested in the answer as well, also a fed civilian employee, can retire at 56 and 6 months. I don't think I can touch my TSP until 59.5 years but the annuity will come the month after retirement. I'm still 13 years away, and with so many unknowns, I'm not sure I can do it but I'm gonna try!
patster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Can I retire at 56 without loosing too much benefits....
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #5

Can I retire at 56 without loosing too much benefits....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
i would be happy to help you through it but i will need specifics: years of service, average high 3 salary, TSP balance, projected SS, other assets and income streams.
Thanks,
I am almost 52 and have worked for 10 years. High 3 would be 85K,Projected SS at 62 is $1,240.00 and about 110K in TSP now.
Projected at 66 SS is 1940.00(If I can make to that age ehh)
What are your thoughs....
enano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #6

enano - hope you can get out before they make it a high 5!!!
patster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by enano View Post
Thanks,
I am almost 52 and have worked for 10 years. High 3 would be 85K,Projected SS at 62 is $1,240.00 and about 110K in TSP now.
Projected at 66 SS is 1940.00(If I can make to that age ehh)
What are your thoughs....
at age 56 you will have 14 years of service. with a high 3 of $85k you will get $85k/yr*14 yrs*1%/yr*70%(penalty due to using the MRA+10 rule for retirement)= $8330/yr from FERS, and there will be no diet-COLAs till you reach 62 yo if i remember correctly

if you wait till 62 you will have 20 years of service. with the same high 3 of $85k you will get $85k/yr*20 yrs*1.1%/yr= $18,700/yr from FERS

is that what you wanted to know?
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote