Can I use any 6V DC Adapter for Rowing Machine?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hit the jackpot, and got a free Rowing Machine via my community Freecycle. But the plug wire, for the DC Adapter, was cut. I spliced the wires together but still no power to the built in computer. It's Easter Sunday now, so I can't call the company. Based on the parts list, one short wire plugs into the Rower, and the other end has some sort of connector that in turn connects to the 6V DC Adapter. It's this connection that is currently 2 frayed wires.
With presumed shipping delays from the manufacturer, I'd like to just buy replacement in local HD or Lowes. Will any adapter work? I attached a picture of the parts diagram, looking at parts 64, 76, and 75 in center left of the picture.

Attachments

• Parts diagram.jpg
    Parts diagram.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 58
What does the original adapter have for numbers? Amps? Watts? That is what you need to match, not just the 6vdc output.

Can you post a pic of the transformer showing the specs?

Can you search for the rowing machine model online? They might tell you what adapter is needed. Or, search for an adapter for your manufacturer online. For example, Walmart or Amazon sells an adapter that "fits Bladez" or "Lifecore". If that doesn't work, make sure any adapter you buy provides enough power, has the right size connector, and with the right polarity. Usually "+" is on the inner part of the connector, but it's good to check. It's OK if it provides more power (or current, in milliamps) than the rower needs. Hope that helps.

Can you post a pic of the transformer showing the specs?

I should have thought of this when making my first post! Anyway, picture of the adapter is attached.

Attachments

• Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 42
Are you sure you spliced the correct wires together and haven't reversed them? If you're sure you got it right, then open it up where the power wire goes into the unit. Start poking around with your multimeter. There may be a blown fuse or relay that needs to be replaced. Or the computer board is bad and you'll be using the rower without the computer - which isn't terrible, but also not wonderful.

The power adapter could be bad. As far as a replacement power adapter, it should be 6V DC and at least 1000mA (1 amp) - more is ok, less not ok. Be patient, just order from Amazon, they sell them cheap and can get to you same or next day.

Here's the one I'd get:
https://www.amazon.com/Arkare-Pressure-100V-240V-Elliptical-Exercise/dp/B0B51NFWXV

It includes a plug with two screw downs - you can just insert the leads you have coming out of the computer if one of the other plugs provided doesn't match what is on the computer side.

Last edited:
OP here with happy update: I called the manufacturer, and as luck would have it (literally) they did not have it in stock. But they would look for it and call me back. In the interim, the only person smarter than my fellow ER.org folks - my wife- took out a stash of DC adapters we have, and one of them works perfectly. So while the manufacturer was looking for me, problem has been resolved at no extra cost. I now have a fully functional Rower.

P.S. I called the manufacturer to thank them and tell them to call off the hunt.,

OP here with happy update: I called the manufacturer, and as luck would have it (literally) they did not have it in stock. But they would look for it and call me back. In the interim, the only person smarter than my fellow ER.org folks - my wife- took out a stash of DC adapters we have, and one of them works perfectly. So while the manufacturer was looking for me, problem has been resolved at no extra cost. I now have a fully functional Rower.

P.S. I called the manufacturer to thank them and tell them to call off the hunt.,

Awesome!

My motto "Free is free".

Enjoy it.

No excuses for not exercising now!

In the interim, the only person smarter than my fellow ER.org folks - my wife- took out a stash of DC adapters we have, and one of them works perfectly.
I don't think I've ever thrown away a working adapter because I know as soon as I do, I will have a need for it!

Is the adapter you tried rated at 6V and greater than 1000mA (AKA 1.0 Amps)? If not, 'working' may be temporary, and may damage the rower.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Is the adapter you tried rated at 6V and greater than 1000mA (AKA 1.0 Amps)? If not 'working' may be temporary, and may damage the rower.

-ERD50

Thanks for that tip. I'm not home now but will check later.

One last question (maybe DW is not smarter than the folks here, after all):
The original now-defective adapter shows output of 6V, 100mA. I have 2 potential replacements from our stash: The first one my wife found, says 15V, 200mA. The other one I may be able to use (have to see if the connector is compatible) is 9V 1000mA.
So, neither is 6V. Can I use one or the other?

One last question (maybe DW is not smarter than the folks here, after all):
The original now-defective adapter shows output of 6V, 100mA. I have 2 potential replacements from our stash: The first one my wife found, says 15V, 200mA. The other one I may be able to use (have to see if the connector is compatible) is 9V 1000mA.
So, neither is 6V. Can I use one or the other?

The picture you posted was 6V, 1000mA , not 100mA size.

The picture you posted was 6V, 1000mA , not 100mA size.

+1.

And don't forget the center pin should be positive (although some devices might have an internal full wave rectifier to protect against reverse polarity, I sure would not count on it).

-ERD50

Most thrift stores have a plastic bin full of these adapters. It's just a matter of finding the right specs. And, yes, the polarity is very important! Don't ask how I learned this.

OP any update? -ERD50

YES! I have a working rower, and have already used it a few times. Thanks to NJHOWIE's link, on comment # 8, I bought the adapter from Amazon. So, now the Rower was not free, I'm out of pocket something like 6 whole dollars.
I do a # of exercises, so I don't use rower every day. But based on the 3 times I've used it so far, it's been great.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom