Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting, I scored an 11 since I had been on a factory floor, saw four of the movies and recognized all the ranks. There were a couple of others but what can I say.

My test is "How many crayons were in your box growing up as a kid?" I had 64 with the built in sharpener.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Interesting, I scored an 11 since I had been on a factory floor, saw four of the movies and recognized all the ranks. There were a couple of others but what can I say.

My test is "How many crayons were in your box growing up as a kid?" I had 64 with the built in sharpener.
I only had 12 But that was in the old days and I guess there were other kids who just had 12 back in the 1950's.

I always wanted 128 with the built-in sharpener. So, I bought them for my daughter when she was little, though she could have cared less. We colored together a lot.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

We had the 8 Crayola set, but I had to share with my 3 siblings, so I really had only 2: blue and green

Now that would be a good quiz, simple to answer, easy to score. We need a Crayola poll-ola!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We had the 8 Crayola set, but I had to share with my 3 siblings, so I really had only 2: blue and green
Sounds like your pictures had a real blue-green look about them!

I must have had 8, instead of 12. It was the little box with just one row of crayons, and I had to share with my two brothers. So, I really had 2.67. The 0.67 was the broken piece of one of them, stuffed way down in the box. Still, it was more than you had.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I scored 16-20. He says "I don't even have a bubble". Apparently I am an all american guy, but a clear member of the dinosaur generation.
But I didn't even know who the Nascar guy was.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had no Crayola where/when I grew up. We used colored pencils, and the standard set had 12. However, they made up for it by requiring us to paint in water color. Water color!

Oh my gosh! I still remember the drawing class each week was like a torture for me, in the 4th grade, for a kid born with no artistic talents. In the class, there was that cute girl that I secretly admired, but I digressed (I do not even remember what she looked like, only that I had a crush) ...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I had two rows so that was probably 16 . Plus I always had a pencil box whatever happened to those ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I took the short, interactive test and scored "between 9 and 12":

In other words, even if you're part of the new upper class, you've had a lot of exposure to the rest of America.

Boy howdy!
Same result on the short interactive quiz.

My uniform was for 2 j*bs...the summer college job as a mechanic for Sears, and the lab coat and safety goggles I wore as an Engineer w*rking with lasers.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Finally took the test. To lazy to score it, but let's say I got lots of points...

I grew up in a small town in the 50s and 60s. These things are not at all unusual in that context...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I still have a box of Crayola crayons (64) and a pretty cool dinosaur coloring book.
I haven't used it in a while, but sometimes I pull the book out and do another picture just for the sheer fun of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dinosaur1.jpg (37.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg dinosaur2.jpg (34.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #51

In my preteen years I thought the Beverly Hillbillies was totally stupid but I watched it for two big reasons. Ellie Mae was very well endowed.
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took the short interactive version:

Quote:
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble,you scored between 0 and 4.

In other words, your bubble is so thick you may not even know you're in one.

And I'm pretty confident my score would have been towards the lower extremity of that range.

Maybe I should visit America a bit more.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #53

I'm proud to report I have actually been bass fishing on a lake near Branson with people who struggled to get C's in high school.

See, you never know when these experiences will come in handy.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Finally took the test. To lazy to score it.
isn't that worth some extra points?

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
isn't that worth some extra points?
Or the complete DVD set of "Petticoat Junction" and "Green Acres"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
This is an issue near and dear to my heart. Having moved in the rarified circles of the folks on the top, it is very clear to me how little most of the movers and shakers (regardless of party affiliation, etc.) know about the lives of the vast majority of the population. The US population has very effectively sorted itself into a bunch of groups who largely only deal with people who look and live like themselves and cannot even stand to listen to (and usually do not care in the slightest about) those who are different. I think this raises the long term risk of a country that cannot come together when necessary and it also robs everyone of a huge amount of insight into life via others' experience.

We have repeatedly chosen to live in neighborhoods with more ethnic/educational/"collar" diversity than the places peers and society tell us are the "right" places for us. Sometimes it is a touch out of my comfort zone, but I have never thought I was worse off for my interactions with people who are not like me. And over the long term, some of it has rubbed off on me for the better.
It was interesting, the radio host asked the author "what would you do to fix it?" and the author said get the "rich" folk to spend more time with everyone else so their habits and work ethic would rub off.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
It was interesting, the radio host asked the author "what would you do to fix it?" and the author said get the "rich" folk to spend more time with everyone else so their habits and work ethic would rub off.
More importantly, spending time outside your society-approved circle humanizes those on the other side of the fence for both sides. Its a lot harder to ignore the needs, desires, and pain of other people when they really seem like people to you.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Still anxious to read the book, but I wonder about the quizzes now. Originally took the long quiz and it said 'upper class but made a point of getting around.' Just took the short, interactive quiz and it said 'in a bubble, need to get out more.' Oh well...

I grew up on military bases. And I'm glad my career had me meaningfully interact daily with folks from all economic/class levels so hopefully I wasn't completely insulated from others, but we can all benefit from 'getting out more,' self included. Indeed too many of my "middle/upper class" peers at work were arrogant stuffed shirts who were not interested in anyone but their narrow minded circle of friends & associates, and totally oblivious to others. OTOH too many of my "blue collar" employees were alarmingly entitlement minded IMHO, unfairly judging everyone above them by the fewer worst examples. There were good (fortunately plenty) and bad at all levels from my experience, evidently the book argues we're getting more stratified and that would not surprise me at all.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I'm proud to report I have actually been bass fishing on a lake near Branson with people who struggled to get C's in high school.

See, you never know when these experiences will come in handy.
Boy, too bad they weren't smoking too.......
Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
More importantly, spending time outside your society-approved circle humanizes those on the other side of the fence for both sides. Its a lot harder to ignore the needs, desires, and pain of other people when they really seem like people to you.
This is absolute fact. I've watched my DH change/soften some of his views after actually befriending people who were affected by some of his more strongly held beliefs.

I got the same as Fuego. I'm in with the peeps. No city bus for me, though!
I did request it at the library, though. Thanks for the book tip!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote