Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Can you watch movies (& other TV shows) over and over?
More often than not, I can't 20 44.44%
More often than not, I can 25 55.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Can you rewatch movies?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you rewatch movies?

DW can watch most movies, all genres, over and over (or TV reruns for that matter). There are very few movies or TV shows I care to watch again. The only exception for me is some 'non-fiction' or how to/DIY shows.

For example, The Sixth Sense is was one of my favorite movies. It came on again a while back, and just minutes into it I realized I couldn't watch it again knowing how it plays out - it's a one time experience.

Just trying to decide who is weirder, me or DW (answer: both of us ). Probably stems from her tendency to want the TV on, where I don't - the less TV the better to me (mostly escape/waste of time). When she watches reruns, I leave and easily find something better to do.

I organized my sock drawer for the first time in my life last week, so I know I am weird & retired...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (515.0 KB, 11 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

There are a few that were really enjoyable to rewatch a few years later: the Illusionist, Like Water for Chocolate, the other chocolate one - that might just have been called Chocolate. I can imagine watched no them again - it's already been a while.

There are several series I was happy to watch again.

But only on my own schedule. We no longer have access to cable or broadcast TV.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It can be fun to watch a movie like Sixth Sense or Fight Club knowing the end. Other good movies and shows without suspenseful endings are probably even easier to watch.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No problem watching things that I enjoy over and over. As far as organizing the sock drawer.... nice job. Mine is a little less of a challenge with only the one kind of sock!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Only Monty Python and Blazing Saddles...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Only Monty Python and Blazing Saddles...
My exceptions are Animal House, Captain Ron and Caddyshack.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fun thread!

Having simply heard "there's a twist" about the Sixth Sense, I could immediately tell what it was as soon as the movie started. I think I enjoyed it even more because I could appreciate how it was so well developed and how the tension built toward the reveal. I wouldn't watch it again though as I don't really like watching dark movies more than once, if then. For what I think is a good comedy or romcom (why yes my standards are very low), and I'm in again and again, from Caddyshack to Rushmore to Notting Hill.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Some yes if I really like the movie or series, but most, no I can't. Time is also a big factor. Even if I really like the movie, I have to wait a while to watch it again.

Example: The DW and I watched the Dallas TV series in the late 70's through 91... We liked it so much we bought the entire series on DVD's a few years ago and watched them all again from start to finish. Took us months to watch them all. Probably will watch them again, someday.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

I used to suggest rewatching something that we'd seen perhaps a decade or more ago; DW always would nix it because "we've seen that." So I've given up. There are many I see on netflix I'd like to see again but I just give up. Suppose I could fire up the TV during the day which we don't do except sports on weekend when she is in other room but it's not that important to me.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #10

I just watched The Martian for the second time. I enjoyed it because so much happens and I caught a few details that I had missed.

Maybe because I had nodded off.....just for a second.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, I can't even watch movies the first time. More often than not, I get bored and distracted.

After a while I end up focusing on something else that interests me more such as video games, the forum, or spreadsheets.

P.S. - - sock drawer? I just throw matched pairs of clean socks on a shelf and leave it at that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

For example, The Sixth Sense is was one of my favorite movies. It came on again a while back, and just minutes into it I realized I couldn't watch it again knowing how it plays out - it's a one time experience. ...
That's an interesting example. I watch very few movies (DW will watch just about anything), most just aren't worth me sitting there for over an hour, that's just me.

But I actually watched The Sixth Sense three times in two days. The twist ending caught me totally by surprise, and then I realize I had watched this movie under a totally false viewpoint, and I just couldn't imagine that they could pull that off. So I immediately re-watched it, just to appreciate how those scenes fooled me into seeing something I really didn't see. I consider it a masterpiece in that regard.

Then I watched it, and the director comments the next day. Not sure I could watch it again though.

But there are a few movies I have watched again years later. Sometimes, knowing the joke is coming up makes it funny in a different way - you get into the build-up I guess, I dunno. The Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters, Animal House, Groundhog Day (geez, I guess there is a theme there!) - goofy, silly movies (though Groundhog Day has a serious undertone if you look at it that way), but I enjoy a re-watch sometimes. I've also re-read books years later that I enjoyed - sometimes it's interesting to see what I like or not, compared to the time I read it (high school in some cases). Not sure I could define what is re-watchable or not, certainly not everything, even if I liked it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Shows I have watched multiple times: Godfather, Witness, and North by Northwest. For those that liked The Sixth Sense try "The Game" with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #14

It depends on how much time has elapsed and how good the movie was.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've watched Zulu, The African Queen, and, to a far lesser extent, Pulp Fiction numerous times - almost all others...no.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #16

Another one I have enjoyed multiple times is The Producers (the original Mel Brooks version with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder),
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My exceptions are Animal House, Captain Ron and Caddyshack.
And don't forget 'Groundhog Day'!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #19

I prefer to watch new movies, which leads to some clunkers and mediocre movies on Netflix. But at least I haven't seen them.

DW is happy watching her favorites multiple times. She knows they're good and won't disappoint her. Fear of loss greater than fear of foregone gains?

I was happy to rewatch The Sixth Sense when it came up on Netflix. You get that different perspective and the chance to observe the mechanics and details. I'll throw in a few movies that I haven't seen for a while and don't remember well, but rated high on Netflix back when we watched DVD rentals. But not too often.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Yes I can rewatch, but I usually do it watching something that is streamed so I just watch the parts I want to see again and skip parts that aren't interesting to me.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote