Join Early Retirement Today

Re: candy of your youth
Old 07-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My brother and I used to buy mallocups and save the "money" coins inside. When you reached $500 (?) you could send it in and they would send you 10 free mallocups.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to live close to the Charleston Chew and the Neeco wafer factories. Did anyone actually EAT neeco wafers or are they like Candy Corn, just one lot made and then recirculated indefinitely?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I googled "Lickamaid" but all I got were handles in lesbian chat rooms.

Was lickamaid like pixie sticks??
Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

It's Lickamade, and I remember it well.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I *even remember N_ _ _ _ r *Babies! little black licorice babies with sugar sprinkled on them. I am 60 and the drug store that carried them was in Washington D.C.

Chunky was a rare treat because they cost a whole nickel for a not too large chunk of chocolate with raisons and a large sweet nut - Cashew?

Lik-a-Maid straws turned your tongue green - lime ones , and had that perfect balance of sweet and tart

Good n Plenty candies were the choice of all kids who played 'Doctor' and had to administer medicine. Strange how the proximity of most ailments were near the loins, especially if the patient was the girl down the street. This would probably be posted on the Drudge Report as an assault unless it became know that she was a year or two older and sometimes played a great 'nurse'.

Bit-O-Honey "goes a long long way, unless you had six heads it lasts all day"

Try to keep all those tiny white nanobeads off your lap if you eat nonpariels in the movies.

How about those cinnamon jelly beans called * Hot Tamales ? *This was Latin American culture as far as we knen back in the '50s

*You could sneak over to the lobby cigarette machine and spend an outrageous 35 cents for a pack of smokes to share with your buddy. That cost more than getitng into the show.
*Nothing like a good smoke in the men's lounge (no furniture, just a *black and chrome cylinder Deco cigarette stand) and some Ju Ju B's for flicking over the audience from the balcony. As a matter of fact, I have one of those old stands by my computer.

Then on the way home you could grab some Tru-Aid bottles from a back stoop or porch and turn them in for 2 cents each and use the money for fire crackers.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

I found this site http://www.oldtimecandy.com/CandyList.htm. It has it sold as
Lik-m-aid fun dip.
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
OK, lg4nb, where is this place? i feel a field trip comin' on! Gonna be in WPB in September.
here ya go. don't eat too much. you'll ruin your dinner: www.tothemoonmarketplace.com

hey doc, apparently you and my sil would get along just fine. when i brought her the fizzies today, she mentioned your bonomo turkish taffy (vanilla, of course. she's such a white bread girl). also she loves celray soda. yuck, that drink is soooo gross. you can still get it at any decent deli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
When I saw the topic of this thread, I was expecting something more metaphorical.
i just knew someone would take that tangent but i couldn't title this "old-fashioned candy" while i'm still in denial that i'm that old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
In grade school, I lived in Hawaii. We liked lihi moi (sp?); sweet shredded ginger, smoked octopus (all of which the corner store sold in small packages)
smoked octopus candy? you poor thing. they gave you hawaii but they robbed you of your childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy
Baseball card with bubblegum, or bubblegum with a baseball card. We put the card on our bike tire with a clothes pin.
if our spokes hadn't shredded those cards they'd probably be worth a fortune today. that sure was tasty gum tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I used to live close to the Charleston Chew and the Neeco wafer factories. Did anyone actually EAT neeco wafers or are they like Candy Corn
the store had the wafers; also remember them being around but don't recall ever being into them.

can't believe nobody mentioned gum cigars and gum cigarettes. my little niece today mentioned razzles which i understand are still sold.

anyway. i don't plan on eating a bunch of this but what a great find for gift packages. my shopping is done for the next year at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg necco-wafers_small.jpg (8.2 KB, 70 views)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #28

Did anyone mention PEZ?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #29

pop rocks....

http://www.poprockscandy.com/faq.html

Old 07-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #30

Yep, and how bout those Beatles cards that came with bubble gum, they are worth a bit now.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Bonomo turkish taffy.
That's my absolute fave. They don't make it anymore. I extensively checked plus I heard it on *TV*, so it has to be true.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I used to live close to the Charleston Chew and the Neeco wafer factories. Did anyone actually EAT neeco wafers or are they like Candy Corn, just one lot made and then recirculated indefinitely?
I love both Necco wafers and candy corn. The NorthEast Candy COmpany still makes Neccos. And Brach's is the best candy corn.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

You can still get lik-m-aid in the checkout aisles of most grocery stores. They changed the name to "Fun Dip" but I'm pretty sure it's the same company that makes it. I buy it all the time.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
That's my absolute fave. They don't make it anymore. I extensively checked plus I heard it on *TV*, so it has to be true.

Mike D.
http://www.oldtimecandy.com/french-chew.htm
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
That's my absolute fave.* They don't make it anymore.* I extensively checked plus I heard it on *TV*, so it has to be true.

Mike D.
being ally of the sweet tooth, i just called www.tothemoonmarketplace.com

mike there says they have turkish taffy produced by dorsch (spelling?). he says they spoke with the manufacturer who claims it is the same recipe as the original bonomo brand.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Necco wafers--yes! Apparently they are fairly popular still, they aren't hard to find. The New England Confectionary Company also makes those little candy valentine hearts with the very short imprintd messages ("LUV U," "BE MINE")

From the web site: http://www.necco.com/OurBrands/Default.asp?BrandID=7

"In 1913, explorer Donald MacMillan took NECCO Wafers on his Arctic explorations, using them for nutrition and as rewards for Eskimo children. In the 1930’s, Admiral Byrd took 2 ½ tons of NECCO Wafers to the South Pole, practically a pound a week for each of his men during their two-year stay in the Antarctic.

The U.S. Government requisitioned a major portion of the production of NECCO Wafers during World War II. The candy doesn’t melt and is practically indestructible during transit, making it perfect for shipping overseas to the troops."

Other candies:
- "Big Mouth" gum (Late 1960s, early 1970s) Gum measured about 1/2" x 3" x 4" Nsty sweet--mostly sugar
- Abba Zabba (taffy-like candy bar). The yellow and black stickers they gave out to kids as advertising in the '60s were second only to STP stickers in popularity.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #37

Fireballs and jawbreakers
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a website I found. If you click on the "hard to find", "nostalgic", and "retro" categories, you'll see samples of all kinds of old time candies.*

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/s...me=Abba+Zabba+

On the Fourth of July, took a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke and a package of Mentos candies to a friend's place.* Got a piece of paper and rolled it into a very skinny cylinder shape, just big enough to hold vertically and directly above the opening of the Coke bottle.* Put all 12 to 13 Mentos candies in this "paper chute" and held a small card at the bottom of the chute to keep the Mentos from falling out.* Placed this "paper chute" directly over the bottle opening and then quickly slid the small card out, allowing all the Mentos to quickly drop into the bottle. Then I ran away fast.* *A 15 to 20* foot geyser of Coke immediately shot up into the air.* It was fun, and pretty spectacular!* *Saw this in the newspaper a week or two ago and thought I would try it.* Some people just never grow up. . . .*

FYI:* Noticed that the 2 guys in the newspaper had clear safety goggles on.* *I guess that was in case the Mentos come shooting out of the bottle.
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I am so repeating that experiment! It's like a sugar/caffine gravity bong!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:14 AM   #40

Hershey's bars

My brothers and I devoured them. Life was good.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote