Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Wind may not be a factor where you are, but canoes have enough sail area to make you work like a slave of you need to go against it.
That's a fact. However, I learned a long time ago that if you're fishing by yourself in s canoe and the wind kicks up, get in the center of the canoe and it's much easier to handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Made a new GoPro mount for my kayak. And took it out for a test run. Kayak is a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - a 12' recreational kayak.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 3.57.20 PM.png (1.24 MB, 11 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #43

Nice paddling, I can't paddle that fast
Love the portage technique, gotta love plastic boats!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
That's a fact. However, I learned a long time ago that if you're fishing by yourself in s canoe and the wind kicks up, get in the center of the canoe and it's much easier to handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I have a 15' Colman canoe that my folks bought for me when I was 14 years old. I used to fish in it backwards (I would sit in the front seat facing the rear) basically shifting the CG by a few feet. Made it much more stable in the wind. I now fish from an Old Town Loon (13') kayak, a lot more pleasant experience...
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Nice paddling, I can't paddle that fast
Love the portage technique, gotta love plastic boats!

I agree - plastic boats are great! They can really take a lot of abuse. As a woodworker and a kayaking newbie, I once thought I would build myself a cedar strip kayak. But after a couple of years in my plastic kayak, I no longer want to build a cedar boat. The cedar ones look very nice, but I wouldn't be able to avoid scratches and other damage that come with ordinary use.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Ronstar, I quite like the effect of the GoPro mounted at the farthest extent of the bow. Really gives a great impression of speed. How exactly did you mount that? I really don't want to drill into my beloved 18.5 ft Nimbus Telkwa kevlar/fibreglass boat.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I know what you mean about not wanting to drill fiberglass. I'd be worried about cracking. Luckily, my front strap has a screw that screws into a threaded fitting in the boat. So I attach my Gopro to one end of a 1/2" wide aluminum bar, unscrew the front strap, and rescrew the aluminum bar and the strap back to the boat.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I know what you mean about not wanting to drill fiberglass. I'd be worried about cracking. Luckily, my front strap has a screw that screws into a threaded fitting in the boat. So I attach my Gopro to one end of a 1/2" wide aluminum bar, unscrew the front strap, and rescrew the aluminum bar and the strap back to the boat.
Ah, I thought that might be the way you did it. My problem is that, like many of the long touring boats, the bow tapers to a narrow point, much like Pinnochio's nose (as is shown in my kayak fleet pic). I know GoPro makes a mount for virtually every situation but I'm racking my brain to come up with an idea for this. I suppose I could apply one of those "sticky" mounts up there somehow...but I've already done this on my deck and I fear for the gel coat when I try to peel it off. Maybe I could try the beefy "clamp" mount - it might just be able hold on to the boats "nose" securely enough. Might try this.

My sea kayaking season gets going in earnest soon - I might be posting some pics/vids on this forum soon. Fingers are crossed for some orca encounters.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
......... I suppose I could apply one of those "sticky" mounts up there somehow...but I've already done this on my deck and I fear for the gel coat when I try to peel it off. .........
In the FG RV world it is common to use 3M VHB tape to hold things on to the gelcoat. Some of it is rated for 100# / sq. inch. You can take it off with a piece of mono filament line. It is not stronger than the gelcoat adhesion. A readily available version is called 3M Extreme and is sold at the big box stores.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Ah, I thought that might be the way you did it. My problem is that, like many of the long touring boats, the bow tapers to a narrow point, much like Pinnochio's nose (as is shown in my kayak fleet pic). I know GoPro makes a mount for virtually every situation but I'm racking my brain to come up with an idea for this. I suppose I could apply one of those "sticky" mounts up there somehow...but I've already done this on my deck and I fear for the gel coat when I try to peel it off. Maybe I could try the beefy "clamp" mount - it might just be able hold on to the boats "nose" securely enough. Might try this.

My sea kayaking season gets going in earnest soon - I might be posting some pics/vids on this forum soon. Fingers are crossed for some orca encounters.
Whether you go with the clamp or the sticky mount, you may want a tether backup. I used to use the clamp mount on the kayak, and one day my GoPro and clamp mount slipped off and went into the lake and sank. I was at my dock in only 6 feet of water, so I grabbed a rake and was able to fish it out.

The tether is paracord, bought at a big box store. I made some loop ends based on a you tube video. I use this tether for my kayak, pontoon boat, and truck videos.

And yes - Please post videos of your orca encounters!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 3.30.46 PM.png (1.94 MB, 9 views)
Old 06-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had only limited experience with sit on top kayaks in the ocean and canoes on a lake. When using a kayak I want to catch waves; in a canoe I find it more relaxing & calming.
ampeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Depends what you want to do in the "watercraft". I've done this: How to Make Love in a Canoe | Camping Stories from the Wilds of Canada | February 13, 2014 | National Arts Centre but a kayak, that's in the future.

YMMV, Enjoy.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I just bought this.

Pelican Unison 136T Kayak | DICK'S Sporting Goods

I am SO excited! I saw it in the store and liked the large compartments- roomy enough for DH's long legs and also roomy enough for another adult holding our granddaughter. I already have a lifejacket for her. A friend with a truck will be picking it up for me since it's 13.5" long.

Yesterday our house sold. Most of our earthly goods are in a warehouse till Wednesday. We close Monday morning but the movers couldn't schedule people to move our stuff till Wednesday. It's all coming together!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on selling the house and buying the kayak!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!!! Let us know how the new kayak's maiden voyage goes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #56

Congrats on the house sale. That's big!
Old 06-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #57

Congrats on the sale of the house and the buying of the kayak. Glad to hear that everything is coming together.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

What are you planning to do in it? According to this a conoe might be better: Canoe sex, marijuana use and other statistical maps of Canada | National Post
Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #59

Have fun in your kayak. Looks like a nice one.
Adventures in moving. Congrats and be careful.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

We're starting to settle into the new house; the 2 days of packing and moving were brutal (they don't take liquids and you have to keep following them around and pointing out things they "forgot" to pack, then vacuum afterwards). We had a few days in a hotel between closings and still aren't done unpacking but the kitchen, guest BR and MBR look pretty good.

I took it out the day we moved in.

I ended up getting a great price on the boat- caught it on sale at Dick's for $600. A friend with a truck picked it up and delivered it (I gave her an Amazon.com gift card). That's my son and granddaughter with me; granddaughter LOVED it! The boat was a good choice; it's a bit heavy for me to maneuver alone (67 lbs.) but I can get it in and out of the water. I just wouldn't want to drag it back uphill to take it elsewhere. I'm still happy I got the 2-passenger for a first boat; it's a small, calm lake so I can handle it on the water and there are plenty of friends who want to come over and try it out with me!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote