Join Early Retirement Today

Canon Imageclass MF733 Cdw Printer Issues
Old 12-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Canon Imageclass MF733 Cdw Printer Issues

I have what I think is an unusual problem with this printer and how it handles color printing. This is a laser color printer, purchased 5/2017. The initial color toner cartridges lasted a year at which time they were replaced with Canon color cartridges. These were purchased through Amazon and supposedly sourced from Canon. I neglected to check to make sure they were 100% full.

I print tons of b&w and am on my 3rd high yield cartridge. Counter says over 9K b&w pages printed so the b&w printing appears to be normal.

I print hardly any color (900 total per the counter). The cartridges supposedly print an estimated 2300 pages each . Have talked to 3 techs and none can explain this. All color cartridges show at 10% which seems strange to us. 3 days later after printing on b&w, the cyan dropped to 0%.

I googled but found nothing for this issue.

Canon sent me a replacement (refurbished) printer as it is under a 3 year warranty. The replacement printer has a wonky touch pad which is probably why it was returned .

My next step is to either replace this printer with a different brand color laser or buy the cheapest color cartridges out there and see what happens.

Any thoughts? Also, any experience with cheapo 3rd party color cartridges?
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a similar printer, for maybe 5 years or longer, but it is HP 2025dn. I remember having same observations as you, meaning the printer used more color toner than I thought it should.

I can't tell you specifically where to look for settings to change (in Canon software), but look for possible option(s) to tell printer driver you do not want to print black with color.

Also look at your sources being sent to printer. They could be using a color (or model) that allows for black to be made from colors. I remember a problem where the PDFs were not pure black, but 95% or something like that. These would print using 4 toner cartridges.

I realize this isn't specific enough, but it is possible. But then, you could have a lemon, or bad cartridges.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks Target. One of the techs told me about the b&w using color for a more 'robust' b&w, however, that doesn't explain that I got about the same amount of use out of the original with the printer carts as the new ones. The only thing I can surmise is that the new carts were counterfit or Amazon sourced them not from Canon, but elsewhere and they were not the real thing.

Can you recommend a 3rd party vendor for toner? At approx. $300 for a set of color carts, there's no way I'm buying Canon product. I'll first go back to 2 printers...an ink jet for color and a b&w laser for b&w. Waaay cheaper than what I've got now. Oh, the tech showed me how to make sure b&w is pulling only from b&w and not from color for b&w output.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:53 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've only used original manufacturer cartridges in my HP color and Canon b/w laser printers. No third party for me.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote