Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When it dies, go to a rummage sale or two, and you'll find a replacement. I have a backup MFC 210 printer in the garage in case of problems.

Depending on the cartridge, if you don't refill yours, you can get some extra ink out of them by fooling the "out of ink" sensor with electrical tape or magic marker.
I can't imagine I'd be lucky enough to find one in repairable (let alone working condition) that takes the cheap carts I use in just one or two (or ten) rummage sale visits. I have looked at our local Good Will a few times, no luck.

I check ebay when I think of it, now they are $50 plus shipping for 'for repair parts only' units. A 'new in box'(?) unit is $249 plus shipping (I think people are aware of the low cost cartridges for these, and bid them up).

The models I'm looking for include:

Canon ip2000-ip1500-i450-i455-i470-i475D-MP130-MP360-MP370-MP390

ebay search: ip2000, ip1500, i450, i455, i470, i475D, MP130, MP360, MP370, MP390 | eBay

No 'out of ink' sensors on these. I use 'em till they are empty. Gotta get my $1.50's worth!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$1.50 per cartridge is amazing. I thought that was a typo.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I did a lot of research last nite.

I'm going to purchase a b/w Brother laser printer/copier that's on sale at Office Depot, $10 less if purchased on line thru Amazon. Great reviews. I copy quite a bit, so this feature will also pay for itself in ink savings.

Depending on how much I will then use the inkjet, I may continue with Costco refill of the Canon carts or look into going the ink refill kits route.

Frank, from my research, it appears all manufacturers have sensors in their carts. Refills do fail quite a bit more than official carts or Walgreens may have done the same as Costco, not resetting the sensor. Fortunately, Costco guarantees that they will work, so if I do get one that fails, I get my money back and have to buy retail. You can buy sensor reset doohickeys on line if you go the refill kit routes. I saw one for Lexmark for $8...my Canon model reset thingy was $20. Well worth it if you go the refill kit route.
What site do you find the sensor reset dohickeys and what are they called?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I did a lot of research last nite.

I'm going to purchase a b/w Brother laser printer/copier that's on sale at Office Depot, $10 less if purchased on line thru Amazon. Great reviews. I copy quite a bit, so this feature will also pay for itself in ink savings.
I have a Brother 'all in one' wireless network laser printer and have been very pleased with it. The print quality is excellent and fast, a new full toner cartridge will probably last me 3+ years and only cost $20 (generic brand). My ink jet printer has been collecting dust for the last 3 years, and I'm sure the ink jet cartridges are all clogged and need to be replaced.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
What site do you find the sensor reset dohickeys and what are they called?
I googled 'inkjet refill kits' and dug around Printer Ink Refills | Ink Jet Toner Cartridges | Toner Refill Kits | Bulk Inks. They have an extensive selection of compatible carts, refill kits, and accessories including chip resetters as wells as chips themselves. Lots of vendors out there, some probably much better than others. 123refills had compatible carts for my Canon, however, they were slightly more $ than the Costco refills. I expect you can get them much, much cheaper, but the quality of the ink may vary.

For now I'm going to stick with the Costco refills.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote