Can't believe it was 50 years ago!

DH told me how outrageously shocked his parents were at how long the Beatles' hair was as seen on the Ed Sullivan show. Their heads must have exploded when they saw hair go to shoulder length on men just a few years later.

DH told me how outrageously shocked his parents were at how long the Beatles' hair was as seen on the Ed Sullivan show. Their heads must have exploded when they saw hair go to shoulder length on men just a few years later.
Long hair and bell bottomed trousers. And those John Lennon glasses.

I remember well that period, the outrage was real. Back then the gym teachers also enforced the dress and behaviour code. It was a real struggle.

Dearest Mom seriously thought it was the beginning of the end of civilized society. I didn't make it any easier on her and am surprised we managed to survive the whole thing and be such good friends. :)

Long hair and bell bottomed trousers. And those John Lennon glasses.

I remember well that period, the outrage was real. Back then the gym teachers also enforced the dress and behaviour code. It was a real struggle.

Dearest Mom seriously thought it was the beginning of the end of civilized society. I didn't make it any easier on her and am surprised we managed to survive the whole thing and be such good friends. :)

Aah Long Hair!. I remember back in (all boy Catholic) high school (early 70s) where your hair could not be over the collar. Some of my classmates wore wigs to hide their long hair.

The rebroadcast is almost worth watching in it's entirety to hear "Hey Bulldog" again. I had forgotten about that song as I think it was on Yellow Submarine. I have read some reviews and get a chuckle out of them. One of them was, "The tens of people spread across America eagerly waiting for Annie and Dave reuniting were disappointed with their performance". You could spend a year reading about the critical panning of Katy Perry's performance. She probably should have left that song up to the big boys like Grohl or Lynne and sang something more to her level like "All Together Now" or "Maggie Mae". :)

Aah Long Hair!. I remember back in (all boy Catholic) high school (early 70s) where your hair could not be over the collar. Some of my classmates wore wigs to hide their long hair.

At my private high school, they would actually measure the length of girls' skirts in the principal's office if the length was in question. Skirts had to come down to the exact center of one's kneecap, at least, or lower.

So much for mini-skirts! :2funny:

Now, it seems like kids walk around with their pants lower than that and their underwear showing. What a reversal.

At my private high school, they would actually measure the length of girls' skirts in the principal's office if the length was in question. Skirts had to come down to the exact center of one's kneecap, at least, or lower.

Now, it seems like kids walk around with their pants lower than that and their underwear showing. What a reversal.

At a small K-12 school I attended for a mercifully brief time in southern Looziana in the late 60s, my hem was ripped out of my skirt because the skirt was a tiny bit too short. 7th grade.

Last edited:

I vaguely remember low-slung pants were popular with some in the Fifties, though it's reach new [-]heights[/-] depths with the hiphop generation...

The girls at the Catholic HS I went too had to kneel and the nuns would measure from the floor to the hem, I don't know what the cutoff measurement was (since I'm not a girl). But all the girls just rolled their skirts (inward) at the waistband to be as short as they wanted at any given time...

Back
Top Bottom