Join Early Retirement Today

CAPITAL ONE DATA BREACH, You are Eligible for Benefits From a Class Action Settlement
Old 05-23-2022, 06:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

CAPITAL ONE DATA BREACH, You are Eligible for Benefits From a Class Action Settlement

I got an email today supposedly from Capital One about filing a claim for a data breach they announced on July 29, 2019. I Googled this and it looks like there was a breach.

Anyone lese get an email about this? My antivirus software will highlight a link in green if it is safe or gray if it is uncertain. The links in the email are in gray which makes me suspicious.

If this is legit? I think they are reimbursing people for out of pocket costs and require documentation. I didn't have any expenses associated with the breach. I would like to take advantage of the free credit monitoring if nothing else.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 06:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing here, and I checked my spam folder. When you Googled, did they say there was a current adjustment going on? I would be very suspicious, and do more homework.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #3

That email was in my spam folder last week.

Google says there is something real out there, but I would ignore/delete any emails and just contact a lawyer directly.

Don't most of these things end up with almost no money to the claimants? But lucrative to the lawyers....

ETA: The email is NOT from Capitalone... it's from "capitalonesettlement dot com"
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #4

I didn't get an email but I did get a post card. I checked it out and filed the claim. They did not ask for any personal information that they didn't already have, which was my name and address. My time was used freezing all of our credit bureau accounts and changing all the passwords on anything financial.

I remember another one of these, maybe in 2021 or 2020. You could claim a limited number of hours without any documentation. Was that Equifax maybe?

Anyway......we will be lucky to get anything out of this, but I filed just in case.

The only time I've ever gained anything from one of these class action suits was from one of the big tuna companies who were sued for misstating the net weight of their product. I think I got $4 and change into my PayPal account.

I found the post card if anyone wants to see it. I've erased my personal info. When I entered the Unique Identification Code and PIN it took me to the info they already had and steps to file the claim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2216.jpeg (474.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2215.jpeg (333.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-23-2022, 07:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been with Cap 1 for over a decade. Got nothing. Don't want anything either.

No longer with Cap 1.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I got it and have never used Capitol One. Scam.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I tried to file a claim out of curiosity it asked for my DOB and address. At that point I closed the tab and said forget it. IMO, it is not worth the risk to get $1.98 or $5.

I'm very suspicious and immediately when I got this email I used View Source Message vs opening the email. From what I could read it looked legit. Then I thought, this is a perfect scam if the bad guys know about the breach they could have generated these emails piggybacking off a real event. I trust no one who contacts me with email. Even financial intuitions I work with, I don't open the email and use my bookmarked link to go to the site.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

In my spam folder too a couple of days ago. Didn't open it.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I got one, figured it was spam, and deleted it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:48 PM   #10

i haven't received anything from Cap1 but have received similar notices from several other entities most notably from Yahoo. in all of these past incident I dutifully filled out the forms and submitted them. apart from an acknowledgement that the claim was received i have yet to see anything tangible from any of them. we did receive free credit monitoring from two companies but not a peep from the others. i have concluded that the severity of these breeches are not worth the effort or my time needed to research and file a claim.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, me too.

I got the experian hit long ago. Didn't want free credit monitoring from a company so stupid they got hacked.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, me too.

I got the experian hit long ago. Didn't want free credit monitoring from a company so stupid they got hacked.
we took the Experian monitoring but we had our own identity theft protection at the time. i figurered having the second set of 'eyes' couldn't hurt.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yes I received it and filled it out.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #14

Bringing this old topic back because I got this email today. It's from EpiqPay -

Capital One Settlement - Notice of Upcoming Settlement Payment
Dear XXXXXXXXX

According to our records, you are eligible to receive a payment of $xxx.xx in the settlement for the matter entitled In re: Capital One Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 1:19-md-2915.

As the Administrator for the matter, we’re sending you this courtesy email to inform you that by September 28, 2023, you will receive a payment notification email that contains a link to claim your payment electronically. Once you receive that email, you will have until November 27, 2023, to claim your payment.

Please monitor your email inbox carefully for our next email. Additional details about this matter are available at www.CapitalOneSettlement.com or by contacting us via one of the following methods:

Email: payments@CapitalOneSettlement.com
Phone: 1-855-604-1811
Mail: Capital One Data Breach - Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 4518, Portland, OR 97208–4518

Could be a scam, but I did file for this settlement and posted about it above Post #4, dated 5/23/22.

So I guess I'll see tomorrow if I get the email and a real link to a real amount.

Anybody else get this email? When I goggled about it I found this on Doctor Of Credit.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/capit...on-settlement/
Old 09-27-2023, 04:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yes I got the email and like you filed for the money a year ago. I think it’s legitimate.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #16

I X-ed out the amount in my post because it's hard to believe.

But Ka-Ching!
Old 09-27-2023, 06:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

This is the new way for class actions. You go through these vendors and get something like a digital debit card you can use online. Or PayPal. There may be a paper check option too. Read their FAQ.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:51 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I find it odd that I got this email initially though I never had a Capital One card.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I find it odd that I got this email initially though I never had a Capital One card.

Well then, "what's in your wallet?"
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 06:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Well then, "what's in your wallet?"
Fidelity Visa