Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Car accident insurance company legal issues
Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Car accident insurance company legal issues

My wife was rear ended at a stop light by a commercial vehicle about 4 years ago. She was not seriously injured but had/has some neck and back issues. From the start the other drivers insurance company was very compliant and easy to get along with and very quick to cover the cost created by the accident. We opted not to hire a lawyer because they were so quick to respond to any of our request, cover the damage to the vehicle, pay for medical bills etc. We were trying to navigate through this without getting things overly complicated, we forwarded whatever information that they wanted. For example out of pocket expenses for medical, chiropractor, physical therapy and of course wage loss etc. The wage loss is tough because we are self employed but we put together a realistic figure. Since my wife is 49% owner of our business they also requested our K1 forms as well. I am not a fan of the "Sue The Ba$tard$" mentality so we calculated a conservative amount for possible future complications, pain/suffering etc. My attitude is changing since we are now getting the silent treatment. They currently have our request of what dollar amount we need to close out this whole ordeal. They have put us on radio silence and I am getting disgusted. Where do I go from here? Is this a game they play at the end to purposely frustrate and drag things out hoping we may accept a smaller offer to settle? Did I muddy this up to bad to embarrassingly go to a lawyer now?

I would appreciate any input I can get. Thanks in advance.
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't know what state you are in, but my state has a 2 year statute of limitations on injury claims.

I would suggest you talk to a local atty asap (i.e., this week) to see where you stand. Ask friends/family for a recommendation. If no local friends/family, call the local bar association.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in Minnesota. Apparently there is a 6 year deadline to file a lawsuit.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #4

So you cheeped out so the lawyers wouldn't get a cut and now you are learning a lesson on why they get their cut.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #5

Wow , 6 year statute of limitations . Never seen that before, but I haven't stepped foot in MN in about 40 years.

My guess is they no longer are the insurance co of the offending party.

Liability insurance company " Defend" the insured, that does not mean pay claims, unless the insurance co decides it is cheaper than risk having to defend a lawsuit. If you have a one million $ liability policy, the insurance co is obligated to spend up to 1 Mil. $ defending you in court.

I do not believe this applies in a no fault state , but see my signature below

So , contact a personal injury atty, asap. , and not My Cousin Vinny.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 AM   #6

Did you report the incident to your auto insurance company when it occurred and are you still with the same insurer?
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
So you cheeped out so the lawyers wouldn't get a cut and now you are learning a lesson on why they get their cut.
Thanks for your kind input. There are an incredible amount of things that you don't know about the situation we were in at the time yet you still have got it all figured out as to why I didn't hire a lawyer from the start. Now that you have picked the scab to help you put it into perspective I will tell you just one of the things that was going on. Right at this time I had three of my immediate family members pass away within 3 days of each other. Of course it wasn't just the deaths that we were dealing with it was their diagnosis, constant doctor visits, hospital stays, nursing home, hospice, running for new medications in the middle of the night. The list goes on and on and on more then you will ever imagine. Then of course there was planning a triple funeral. That was just that situation (as if that isn't enough) the rest of the world doesn't stop and wait. Our business had to keep running, our employees needed attention and of course our own personal lives had to go on as well. We didn't hire a lawyer because there honestly was not one extra second or ounce of energy to deal with it. Besides, I didn't think I needed one because they were writing out checks and being very cordial until recently. After the rest of our lives calmed down I was about two years into this thing and I thought it was already to late to hire a lawyer so I stayed at it by myself which brings me here today, asking for kind advice.

Ironically I remember a post you made in another thread just a few days ago. Apparently you "cheeped" out by doing some remodel work yourself. Apparently you thought the professionals charged to much. How is it different?

Thanks to everyone else for your thoughtful replies and willingness to help.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:51 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Did you report the incident to your auto insurance company when it occurred and are you still with the same insurer?
Yes we reported it to our insurance company and yes we are still with them.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Vette View Post
Yes we reported it to our insurance company and yes we are still with them.
That's very good. Then you should go to them and let them deal with it...they should have been doing everything for you from the very beginning.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
That's very good. Then you should go to them and let them deal with it...they should have been doing everything for you from the very beginning.
+1
Curious that they weren't involved from the beginning.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Interesting that someone thinks not bringing in a lawyer right away is “cheaping out”.
Or "cheeping out"

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since you live in Mn and we have no fault coverage, for the items you mentioned above you go thru your own insurance first who pays up to your coverage limits. If you have remaining claims they go to the other insurance up to the limits of their coverage.

The pain and suffering is not covered by either one of these companies. I see you mentioned it was a commercial vehicle but don't say what kind of company it was. Was it an out of state vehicle.. generally MN is one state where you don't need a lawyer for relatively minor injuries, but the commercial aspects mean the rules might be different. You never mentioned any gross negligence on the offending drivers side. What's the range of the number you submitted....
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
+1
Curious that they weren't involved from the beginning.
I cant really speak intelligently about it but apparently our insurance covers the damages up to a certain dollar amount. After that dollar amount is exceeded it transfers to other drivers insurance company. So our insurance company was involved at the beginning.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Vette View Post
I cant really speak intelligently about it but apparently our insurance covers the damages up to a certain dollar amount. After that dollar amount is exceeded it transfers to other drivers insurance company. So our insurance company was involved at the beginning.
This sounds like classic MN no fault insurance where pain and suffering and "possible future" problems are not coverage. Goggle MN no fault insurance.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Since you live in Mn and we have no fault coverage, for the items you mentioned above you go thru your own insurance first who pays up to your coverage limits. If you have remaining claims they go to the other insurance up to the limits of their coverage.

The pain and suffering is not covered by either one of these companies. I see you mentioned it was a commercial vehicle but don't say what kind of company it was. Was it an out of state vehicle.. generally MN is one state where you don't need a lawyer for relatively minor injuries, but the commercial aspects mean the rules might be different. You never mentioned any gross negligence on the offending drivers side. What's the range of the number you submitted....

It was a local, rather large heating and air conditioning company work van. It was from MN. Regarding gross negligence, she was stopped at a red light and he plowed into her. My wife said the second she looked in her mirror he was on his phone. it appears he was possibly texting. We submitted to receive around $80,000 to cover expenses.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #16

I was involved in the auto insurance business in MN for over 30 years.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) from your own insurer pays the first level of medical & lost wages, minimum $40,000, for up to 3 years.

Once your injuries reach $4,000 of medical bills, or permanent injury, the injured party can make a claim against the negligent party. You've obviously reached that. Never let an insurer ask you for how much you need to settle the accident, they already have a number in mind and reserved in their incurred losses for the year. On their books, they've already paid you.

One thing I learned in the insurance business is this. If you think you might need an attorney, you already need an attorney.

I'm sorry for your personal losses recently, take your time with this and then interview attorneys. I've even seen some negotiate their fees, but expect 33% plus expenses. If you have already received an offer from the other party's insurer bring it to the attorney. I'd suggest asking your own insurance agent if they could recommend a good attorney, they usually know who the effective ones are.

Also, you may have a potential Underinsured Motorist claim. If the other party doesn't have adequate limits to pay for your claim, then you turn back to your own insurer for another level of coverage. This is best done by an attorney.

Good luck to you, you have my sympathy on your recent losses.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Communicate to them a deadline for them to settle your claim by and tell then that if they continue to ignore your communications and the claim is not settled to your full satisfaction by a specified date that they will then hear from your lawyer. That may get things moving.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #18

427Vette, please consult an attorney before accepting the amount you've submitted.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I did IT for a living. My position allowed me to get inside the biggest back offices around. Financial services and insurance companies.

I share your disdain of attorneys, however insurance companies might be worse. I can say this, it is not that attorneys tell you they get more respect from insurance companies, they do. I've seen their processes and you go down a completely different path when you're represented.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
427Vette, please consult an attorney before accepting the amount you've submitted.
+1.

Settling an accident claim where there even might be future pain/suffering is NOT a DIY project. Given that the statute of limitations has not yet expired simply explain to the attorney what happened and why. They've seen it before.