Join Early Retirement Today

Car accidents
Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Car accidents

Any one else find it hard to sleep after a car accident?i keep thinking how close i came to death by almost being run into oncoming traffic as this 40ft RV decided he was going to move into the passing lane while i was passing him.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any one else find it hard to sleep after a car accident?i keep thinking how close i came to death by almost being run into oncoming traffic as this 40ft RV decided he was going to move into the passing lane while i was passing him.
[/IMG]
Well, yeah, sure, i wouldn't sleep at all. If my math is right you posted this at 3:18 a.m. in your time zone? I've been on borrowed time since I swerved to avoid a head on with a semi in 1972; I don't think about it much any more. The car doesn't look too bad, considering. Take it easy, and let us know how you are later today.

Are you okay, otherwise?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

It is 2:43AM as I post this and I am up re-hashing a dream from tonight that was very much like your accident. Even though it was a dream, I cannot sleep now.

So yeah, you had a very scary shock that will take some time to get over.
TiredOfDoingDiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #4

Naw, the couple of minor car accidents I've been in didn't compare to what I saw happen to other people (I'm retired law enforcement). If I could walk away from it I considered myself lucky.

Now if you've had the experience of being flown from the scene in the state police helicopter and wondering if you'll ever walk again because you can't feel your legs, then that I can see losing sleep over.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Frank and I had a car accident recently that didn't threaten my life at all, really. He was waiting to pull out a strip mall parking lot when an old lady driving a new Cadillac tried to pull in, didn't completely make the turn, and centerpunched us. The scary thing was that she kept accelerating and pushing us sideways until she heard Frank yelling at her to stop accelerating. She apparently had Alzheimers plus was on heavy meds.

Anyway, the point of recounting that accident is to say that although I didn't lose sleep over it, I was surprisingly "twitchy" for almost a week afterwards. So, I'm not surprised at all that you cannot sleep, given the circumstances.

I am really glad that you managed to survive something like that! What a scary accident.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ouch, that was a close call. I'm glad things didn't turn out too badly. In fact, if you're as cheap and "vanity challenged" as I am, you won't even have the car repaired as long as the doors function well and the car doesn't leak water. Rub out that new additional Winnebago paint, put on some wax and call it a day.

I've had some accidents and some close calls, I've never had trouble sleeping afterward. I'm more likely to lose sleep over upcoming events (in the "old days" in the trenches maybe a full inbox with important stuff, an especially unpleasant task, or a checkride). In those cases I usually just got out of the rack after awhile and gave up trying to sleep for a few hours. Sometimes writing a list of "things to do" about the issue helped.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Ouch, that was a close call. I'm glad things didn't turn out too badly. In fact, if you're as cheap and "vanity challenged" as I am, you won't even have the car repaired as long as the doors function well and the car doesn't leak water. Rub out that new additional Winnebago paint, put on some wax and call it a day.
It needs a new side-view mirror. Beyond that, the cheapskate approach could work if the OP wants to pocket the rest of the insurance money and nothing else affecting functionality or safety is compromised.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Good point--I'd fix the mirror. IIRC, in most states a passenger side mirror is not required (if you can see out the back window and aren't towing a trailer), only one on the driver's side. Still, not having one on the passenger side wouldn't be safe (and would be a major irritant).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Could be some PTSD like symptoms?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

DD was in a car accident more than ten years ago where the driver lost control of the car at a high speed, and I can tell she is still bothered by it when we are driving on the Interstate. So I imagine you will be superparanoid whenever you are in the passing lane on the highway for a long time, but maybe the rest of the time it won't be on your mind too much.

I would get the car fixed, personally--that looks like a nice car!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Almost 4 years ago I got t-boned from a clod running a stop sign out of a blind corner; he knocked me into the oncoming lane where I got crashed head-on by another car. Then my car caught fire.

I got out and I was really shaken. I couldn't sleep for a while, but it was more from the pain of brokern ribs and clobbered back I think. I still sometimes lose sleep from back pain though my chest is completely healed.

On the behavioral level, the main thing that sticks with me is that I do not like 2 lane fast roads; and I get nervous when I see a car coming too fast at an intersection. I do not like them to the point that I actively try to avoid them.

I actually moved in part because of this experience, to get away from the country road driving. I also use public trans and walking much more.

So many people are impaired one way or another- drinking, talking on the phone, reading, texting or just not paying attention.

Ha
Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
On the behavioral level, the main thing that sticks with me is that I do not like 2 lane fast roads; and I get nervous when I see a car coming too fast at an intersection. I do not like them to the point that I actively try to avoid them.

I actually moved in part becasue of this experience, to get away from the country road driving. I also use public trans and walking much more.

Ha
I know of only one person who was (slightly) injured while riding public transit. He said it changed the way he rides; he positions himself so that if he is thrown forward, he won't hit a pole. It can be a wild ride on transit as there are no seat belts and where I live if you don't get up and move toward the door while the vehicle is moving, you may miss your stop. And of course, defensive walking is a must.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #13

Jambo........completely empathize w/ your situation and glad you're ok. Here's another learning opportunity......2 lanes (in one direction) hiway heading uphill. Big rig on hill on shoulder but moving uphill. Thinking I should be able to easily pass a big rig going uphill, I make a conscious decision to stay in right lane to avoid the 85mph speeders in fast lane. Am surprised how fast this big rig can go uphill and when I am alongside it, am even more surprised when it starts merging into my lane. Since I am alongside it in the middle of it's length I can't escape by slowing down or speeding up.
I'm also afraid to take my eyes off it to see if the left lane is clear so I lean on the horn and steer to parallel it's movement. Fortunately the driver seems to be aware (at least now) of me so he merges in only very gradually. I never noticed if there were any cars in the left lane or if they passed me while I was trying to avoid the big rig.
Sacrificed 2 or my 9 lives then and am grateful since it could have had a much worse ending. Moral for me: let the 85mph drivers get impatient behind me but avoid the big rig shadow at all costs.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Jambo, your reaction sounds pretty normal for such a close call. Glad you weren't hurt. You must have some darn good defensive driving skills.

Driving here in East Nowhere is full of minor close calls. I have learned to really watch what people are doing in their cars (cell phones, is there a GPS on the dash?, kids distracting the driver). Are they weaving in and out or passing agressively? I stay off high speed roads and take the lesser state highways and back roads as a habit, or do my traveling during off-peak times.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
And of course, defensive walking is a must.
True for sure. Seattle drivers tend to be very respectful of crosswalks, but they aren't all paying attention.

A couple weeks ago an old man was crossing a residential street with a walker in broad daylight, and an even older woman ran him down and killed him.

She told the police she didn't even see him.

Ha
Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Almost 4 years ago I got t-boned from a clod running a stop sign out of a blind corner; he knocked me into the oncoming lane where I got crashed head-on by another car. Then my car caught fire.
Ha

And a grand piano fell on it. and the dam just upsteam burst. sheesh.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Good point--I'd fix the mirror. IIRC, in most states a passenger side mirror is not required (if you can see out the back window and aren't towing a trailer), only one on the driver's side. Still, not having one on the passenger side wouldn't be safe (and would be a major irritant).
I lost my passenger side mirror a few months ago when attacked by an out of control garbage can. I found a replacement unit online, including the mirror, housing and remote adjustment mechanism, for less than $75 bucks. There are only three screws holding it in place, then unplug the control wires, plug in the new mirror, replace the screws and you're done.

Those body scratches should just buff out...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
We were rear ended in an accident last year. I still get chills when sitting at a stop light or in traffic. My lawyer mentioned to me that is not uncommon.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes... We were hit head on by a drunk driver about 4 years ago. We were going 55mph on a 2 lane highway, he was probably going 25-30 when he turned into us (he said he never saw us). Our vehicle was completely totalled as we were slammed around, but somehow my whole family was OK except for airbag & seatbelt markings & one chipped tooth.

I was "squirrelly" in the car for probably 6 months after that accident, even having a few panic attacks that were triggered by hearing other cars in traffic unexpectedly blowing horns or skidding or slamming on breaks.

Take care and treat yourself kindly for a bit

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote