Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I found that heat kills. A few posters above from AZ and FL confirm my experience. When I lived in FL, it was 2-3 years. Here in NC, 5+.

Extreme cold can put a stress during cranking which might shorten life. But the constant heat of the extreme south is murder.
+1. I too lived in Florida and experienced the reduction in battery life. I also live in NC now and they last 4 to 5 years but they always die on me in the dead of winter.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
I have often wondered why they carmakers can't have something that monitors battery. A couple winters ago we had both batteries die away from home that required towing. It would be nice to know a battery was aging so you could replace in advance. Right now I replace at 4 years, need it or not. Cheaper than tows.
My mechanic checks the battery and tests it for how many CCA and amperage remains. He warned me my Camry battery is close to end of life. The car is going on 7 years old so he is probably right. I didn't check the date of the cars battery but we bought it in 2014 so it's at least 5 years old. I plan to replace it as soon as we hit freezing temps.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
It would be nice to know a battery was aging so you could replace in advance.
Here in WV there's an annual inspection for cars so when it goes in for that I also ask them to do a load test on the battery and replace if needed. He runs an honest shop so I don't worry about being sold an unneeded battery. They last about four or five years here.

I do keep a tender on the pickup truck battery since it can go for two weeks at a time without being run. Last year he said the battery was low but the charging system was fine so that's when I started keeping the tender on it.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just had to replace a battery this past weekend in my 2004 Highlander. It was 6 years old. The car has got about 200K miles on it, and for the past couple of years I've been leaving it with DD while I'm in FL. She drives it occasionally through the winter, usually when it's snowy or rainy. It's a great car.

This is my 3rd battery, so that's about a 5 year average. I'm pretty rough on the car and the battery, and I've run it down a number of times. I'm pretty satisfied with how long they last.

My recent battery death was in the parking lot of a Ruby Tuesday, and while I was looking up the nearest auto parts store with my hood up, someone knocked on my window and held up some jumper cables. Pretty sweet. I was back on the road in less than 15 minutes after the failure. I told the guy at Autozone I didn't need a really long life battery. Both the car and I are on borrowed time.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #65

2 years since I moved to a hot climate. 5 years ish when I lived elsewhere.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #66

2 comments.

I tend to wait until they fail. Something about not wasting any life in the battery. OTOH, I have said that I would only keep my 2003 Subaru for 20 years. If I replaced my 5 year old battery now, while it still has some life left, I would/may never have to replace again.

On the Z3, it has an exhaust hose attached to it. Replacing the battery was not hard, getting parts that connected the existing exhaust hose to the new battery was not so easy. Anyone got an exhaust hose for their battery? And the battery is in the trunk.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I replace the DWs car batt every 4 years whether it needs it or not, hasn't failed prematurely yet. I replace mine when it dies or after about 6 years if it makes it. If I'm stranded it's a nuisance, if DW is stranded it's a catastrophe...
+1. In my case, I change mine and wife's car. Every 4 years. Just use Costco.
Good prices. The inconvenience of a no start, not worth it. Just to save
a few dollars.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

The OEM battery in our Outback needed replacement after 3 years... the OEM battery in my truck is still going strong after 3+ years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
When replacing the factory battery (which usually goes about 3 years) I always buy the best battery there is as it usually only about $30 more than the meduim priced. More cranking power is a must in Wisconsin winters. I tend to get about 5 years out of them.
I also measure the physical size of the battery compartment, and buy the biggest , largest cranking power battery that will fit into the vehicle.

Sometimes that is not the size recommended, but size matters
Old 10-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #70

3-4 years for the minivan...battery above the engine/transmission...heat rising?

Double the above for our sedans/SUVs.

All using Interstate batteries from our local independent mechanic's shop.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #71

I have a 2012 Ram that's still on its original battery. I bought it at the end of the model year, so I've only had it 7 years. But considering it's now the 2020 model year, it could be 8 years by now. I don't know what my truck's build date was.

I have had batteries last as long as 7-8 years in other cars though.

I had a 2000 Intrepid, where I replaced its battery in 2005, around the 5.5 year mark. It was still running fine, but I was about to take it on a trip to Florida, and replaced it as a precautionary measure. Probably money thrown away, in retrospect, but, who knows?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I’m driving a 2003 SUV (bought new) that’s on its 3rd battery including the original. That’s about 7 years per battery.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I changed them at 5 years regardless.
Also, I now have a tester that I use every month or so to check the battery condition/health and go from that info too looking for "early" failure conditions.
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #74

Usually I can tell when the battery is nearing its end because the engine turns over more sluggishly than air temperature alone would explain. For me they last their rated period, usually 5 or 6 years.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Car batteries, how long does your last?
Old 10-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Car batteries, how long does your last?

The first time I replaced the battery in my car, the signal was that the windows didn’t roll down all the way when using a “hard press”, that is, pushing the button all the way down.

It stumped the service people at the Honda dealer until one of them found some reference about the issue buried in their online resource. When the new battery was installed, the window behavior went back to normal.

There were no other signs like poor starting/turnover. Who knows?

[ADDED] I now have a little dongle primarily for Bluetooth but has the added benefit of showing voltage when first plugged in. There are no other like indicators on the car.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I had to replace two batteries on my diesel pickup yesterday. Major auto parts stores wanted almost $400 for both. Went to Home Depot and picked up a pair for $99 each.

My batteries lasted 5 years. The OEM batteries lasted much longer. The battery on my Lexus lasted 10 years.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I had to replace two batteries on my diesel pickup yesterday. Major auto parts stores wanted almost $400 for both. Went to Home Depot and picked up a pair for $99 each.
None of the Home Depot stores in my neck of the woods sell auto/truck batteries. Is this something new they are doing regionally?
Old 10-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The OEM battery in our Outback needed replacement after 3 years... the OEM battery in my truck is still going strong after 3+ years.
I bought my battery at Costco... about $85 IIRC.

Frustrating thing though... they sell batteries but don't test them or install them! I brought the tools I needed, bought the battery, put the new battery in and tested it and then returned the core for a refund of the core charge. Took about 15 minutes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
None of the Home Depot stores in my neck of the woods sell auto/truck batteries. Is this something new they are doing regionally?
I never knew HD sold batteries, just checked local store online and it states "Limited stock call for availability"
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Batteries seem to last 3 - 4 years max in Houston. The heat kills them.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote