Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #21
gone traveling

Not me but my brother lived in Newport Beach/Corona Del Mar, CA. He knew some who had 6-7 car garages attached to their million dollar plus home. Every Saturday a Hispanic group of males would drive out his exotic car collection to the street, wash, wax them and drive them back into the garage. Some have so many toys that a number of the cars hardly ever get driven.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My car journey has been a bit different. My "college car" was a 3-carb Austin Healey 3000. It was followed by a Porsche 356B, a 911, a Lotus Elan coupe and a few 122 series Volvos. Then came the 289 Cobra, which I did a little vintage racing in. I also flipped a '66 GT350, a '68 GT500KR convert, a Jensen Interceptor, and probably some I don't remember. Then, around 1979, I sold the Cobra and bought a race car I could afford to crash, an investment duplex, and cedar shingle siding for our house.

Following that came a little more than a decade of dull cars (kinda dull: some Merkur Scorpios) and many thousands of mile of racing -- mostly Formula Fords. Finally I sold my race car (Swift DB-1) to concentrate on buying a business.

The racing pretty much killed my excitement for performance street cars. They have potential that can't be used, often primitive suspensions, etc. It ended up feeling like kissing my sister. Nothing on the street (or on street car "track days") can come close to the half-hour endorphin high on a real track in real competition at serious three-digit speeds.

So ... today DW has a Mini Countryman with which I have a love/hate relationship and I have a Soob WRX, which is a grocery-getter that wants to be a performance car. More "performance" than I want, actually; the big turbo and intercooler result in completely unpredictable throttle response. 3rd car is a 2006 Nissan Frontier extended cab, which is probably the most cost-effective and reliable street car I have ever owned.

YMMV.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Please delete.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Interestingly, the Hyundai will also get up and go when switched to "sport mode." I usually have it in "Eco mode" to save gas, but there's a certain intersection where it's important to get across before people start turning right on red. Sport mode does the job.

Also surprises people in BMWs, when I step out before they do on a green light (years ago, I did autocross in parking lots in the MR2, and like to check to see if the reflexes are still there).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

DW has either owned a Wrangler or sports car(MR2 turbo, Nissan 370) for many different years while I have driven 4x4 pickups.

Last year we bought a Rubicon Unlimited to replace the 10yo 2 door. While a blast on the trails it stunk over 50mph. Last year I got rid of my GMC full size pickup and bought a Model Y performance model that is insane to drive. Despite having performance sports cars this 4 door crossover blows them away for acceleration, cornering, and fun.

If we had room I'd pick up an ATV just to play.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Am down to three, from five. 2012 caddy, 16 Colorodo, 99 Suburban. They get driven regularly.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a three-car garage so it's necessary for us to have three cars, right? The third car was previously a 2008 Miata but we sold that a couple of years ago and replaced it with a 2019 Mustang GT convertible. Still fun to drive and much more quiet and comfortable that the Miata. It gets driven several times a week March thru November but we take the collision off in the winter months and cover it up.

Beginning to think we might be a trend setter in the family as DD and family and DS and family recently added Mustang convertibles to their fleets as well.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Fun car is a 2005 Mustang Convertible. Mint condition, red with balck interior. Drive it about once per week.

I've had maybe 50 cars in my lifetime and all kinds, from Corvettes to diesel sedans.

I'd like another Vette though. Maybe soon.....
Old 05-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From 8 down to 3 since my husband's illness and recovery. 2014 F250 Platinum with only 5,000 miles due to a company vehicle, 2017 Platinum Expedition, 2021 C8. C8 is best car I've ever driven. 8 car garage with 2 bays as office/wood shop/metal shop.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #30

Great topic :-)

Have had a few dozen cars - most for the reason of needing suitable transportation. All makes and models. Some standouts - for various reasons - listed by year, not purchase year:

1965 VW - awful little car, but simple
1967 VW - great little car and simple
1972 Datsun 1200 - fun, simple little car
1975 Corvette - poorly built, poorly supported, terrible car
1976 BMW 2002 - interesting car, but extremely prone to rust
1980 VW diesel Rabbit - great MPG
1981 VW diesel Rabbit - great MPG, but not suitable for Colorado
1982 VW Rabbit - way better solution for Colorado
198x Audi Fox wagon - great landscape gravel car, drove it hard and sold for more than paid
1980 Audi 5000 - great driving car, but very unreliable
1981 BMW 528i - great car
1984 MB 300 TD wagon - same admonition on all MB products
1985 MB 300 Turbo Diesel Coupe - really nice, great car, but expensive parts (I would never own a MB if it was in warranty, or not doing the maintenance myself)
1991 MB 350 SDL - same admonition on all MB products
2000 Suburban
2001 Tahoe

etc ...

Now:
2010 Saab 9-3 Convertible - great, trouble-free car!
2017 Chevy Silverado High Country - great, trouble-free truck for pulling boat
2021 Subaru Ascent - great so far, very interesting, a bit odd, but very nice

So, thoughts on specialty cars:
Porsche - an old one would be interesting and fun to maintain, but limited utility - and, I have a "value quotient" that doesn't work well with Porsche, BMW and MB - I like them all, but they don't possess the "value" that I grew as a personality component over the years - ex: we really wanted a 2021 BMW X5 PHEV, but ended up with Subaru Ascent - 1/2 price, and does the same basic things, but not as nice ... value circle :-)

Corvette - new mid engine way nice, and likely very reliable and not junk compared to previous model I had - I might bite on a convertible version when the higher powered version comes out ...

Anything in my future other than heavy duty trucks and sports cars will need to be PHEV - not all electric, but certainly partially.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
From 8 down to 3 since my husband's illness and recovery. 2014 F250 Platinum with only 5,000 miles due to a company vehicle, 2017 Platinum Expedition, 2021 C8. C8 is best car I've ever driven. 8 car garage with 2 bays as office/wood shop/metal shop.
What, no 63 anymore?
Old 05-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Great topic :-)

Corvette - new mid engine way nice, and likely very reliable and not junk compared to previous model I had
Really.... What model was that? I've had C4's, C5's, C6's and never owned a "junk" Vette. Not even close. Only time I ever had one in the shop was a factory recall for a roof panel replacement.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #33

I've had 3 or 4 cars for the last I-don't-know-how-long. I have rebuilt, restored, and built from scratch. it is a hobby. Most of the time I have one toy car on the road, plus one I am working on plus my 2 DD's. Nothing wrong with a hobby, even if is just driving a fun car.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Did you buy the watch yet
Old 05-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I drive my BMW Z4 every day and love it.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Did you buy the watch yet
Not yet, evaluating my potential "toy" purchases. TBD
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Really.... What model was that? I've had C4's, C5's, C6's and never owned a "junk" Vette. Not even close. Only time I ever had one in the shop was a factory recall for a roof panel replacement.
I had a 1975 Corvette, it was junk - a Malibu with a fiberglass body. Kinda fast in a straight line, went around corners on the door handles…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I had a 1975 Corvette, it was junk - a Malibu with a fiberglass body. Kinda fast in a straight line, went around corners on the door handles…
The current Vette finally got it right from all aspects.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #39

Like some others have said - our car numbers are limited by garage/driveway space. We currently have 2 small suv's and a full size pick up. We have 4 drivers. They boys, nominally, share the old F-150 we picked up used. But one of the sons has a job close enough he often rides his bicycle to work. We have a two car garage where the RAV and Forester get parked. The truck is in the driveway. We've been toying with buying a beater van but one of the issues is where we would park it. If we park it in the driveway we'd have to move it to get out of the garage. Our neighbors mostly use their garages for anything but cars - so street parking is at a premium.

A neighbor up the street who has the same model house as us (2 car garage, decent sized driveway) first expanded his driveway so he could park 2-3 cars in the driveway and still (tight) get cars out of the garage. Then they added an extra curb cut and shed roof to put another car in their side yard. That wasn't enough... so they recently added a 2 story addition where the ground floor is a 4 car garage (with the lifts so it's 2 car sized). I've counted 10 cars at the house... Truck to haul stuff, old vette, old porsche, old truck, mercedes sedan, bmw 7 series, mini cooper, jeep, vw, and some old roadster type car. He also has a big trailer that he hauls the cars around. I've got a game with myself to see how may cars I can see at a time... Harder since he put in the garage with lifts in the back. But if the regular garage is open, not unusual to be able to see 6 or 7 cars.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #40

Like some others have said - our car numbers are limited by garage/driveway space. We currently have 2 small suv's and a full size pick up. We have 4 drivers. They boys, nominally, share the old F-150 we picked up used. But one of the sons has a job close enough he often rides his bicycle to work. We have a two car garage where the RAV and Forester get parked. The truck is in the driveway. We've been toying with buying a beater van but one of the issues is where we would park it. If we park it in the driveway we'd have to move it to get out of the garage. Our neighbors mostly use their garages for anything but cars - so street parking is at a premium.

A neighbor up the street who has the same model house as us (2 car garage, decent sized driveway) first expanded his driveway so he could park 2-3 cars in the driveway and still (tight) get cars out of the garage. Then they added an extra curb cut and shed roof to put another car in their side yard. That wasn't enough... so they recently added a 2 story addition where the ground floor is a 4 car garage (with the lifts so it's 2 car sized). I've counted 10 cars at the house... Truck to haul stuff, old vette, old porsche, old truck, mercedes sedan, bmw 7 series, mini cooper, jeep, vw, and some old roadster type car. He also has a big trailer that he hauls the cars around. I've got a game with myself to see how may cars I can see at a time... Harder since he put in the garage with lifts in the back. But if the regular garage is open, not unusual to be able to see 6 or 7 cars.