Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2021, 03:17 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I had a 1975 Corvette, it was junk - a Malibu with a fiberglass body. Kinda fast in a straight line, went around corners on the door handles…

Well that helps explain that... The C3's in the mid 70's were a real POS. The 75 model may have been the worse. Terribly under powered (165 to 205 HP) and I think it was the first year to require unleaded gas. They still had not figured out how to build and tune unleaded engines back then.

The first model C3's (68, 69 and even 70) were outstanding, for that time period.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
What, no 63 anymore?

When my husband got sick he was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up all the vettes. He suddenly decided to sell his. I didn't want him to feel bad so I sold mine too. Only thing I kept was the 2014. When I decided to get the C8 a friend wanted the 2014. I was going to keep it but decided not to. My husband has lost all interest in any of the vehicles. I ordered the C8 in Nov. 2019 and received it the first week of Jan. 2021. It is one of the first 2021's built in Dec. 2020. I tired to send you & AJA a pic when I got it but for some reason couldn't post the pic anywhere but my profile photo album.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Get the 911 Cab. You only live once.

I have the AMG 53 too, but I got the convertible.
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #44

Our third car , probably the cheapest , and easiest cars to fix up . A Mustang , they are for sale everywhere low prices , enjoyable and easy to fix up. We. Have a 2002 V6 Coupe just turned 90,000 miles 5 speed . Originally paid 2400.00 for it from the original owner . We joined the local Mustang club and have enjoyed turning the little car into a cool car .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
The current Vette finally got it right from all aspects.
I don’t doubt it, with the C8. A buddy of mine has a C7, and it’s a very nice car as well.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Never had two cars. I can only drive one at a time. If my Toyota ever needs repairs, Frank will drive me wherever I want to go until mine gets out of the shop.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
When my husband got sick he was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up all the vettes. He suddenly decided to sell his. I didn't want him to feel bad so I sold mine too. Only thing I kept was the 2014. When I decided to get the C8 a friend wanted the 2014. I was going to keep it but decided not to. My husband has lost all interest in any of the vehicles. I ordered the C8 in Nov. 2019 and received it the first week of Jan. 2021. It is one of the first 2021's built in Dec. 2020. I tired to send you & AJA a pic when I got it but for some reason couldn't post the pic anywhere but my profile photo album.
I don't think I've seen one on the road yet.... Sure sounds like you got one of the first ones alright.... I'll bet it handles and performs different with that mid engine design.... Sure looks different than the C7....

Congratulations....
Old 05-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Car Indulgences - Driving 3 Cars

I bought a corvette in 2001. Drove it to work most of 3 seasons for 14 years. I’ve probably driven it only 1000 miles since I retired in 2014. I drive my truck 95% of the time. I’m going to sell the corvette - either outright or trade for a new Ford Bronco. Corvette is too hard to get in and out of, and I can’t drive it in winter or into the hinterlands.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, after getting our first SUV in 1999, we have never gone back to anything lower riding. I rented a few sedans, but hated them and felt like my butt was dragging down the highway, plus couldn’t see around other vehicles. These days we won’t even rent non-suv cars - I pay up for intermediate suvs.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Corvette is too hard to get in and out of
Same exact reason I sold mine.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #51

Quote:
I don't think I've seen one on the road yet.... Sure sounds like you got one of the first ones alright.... I'll bet it handles and performs different with that mid engine design.... Sure looks different than the C7....

Congratulations....
I've only seen 1 other C8 in my area and it's a friend's 2020 C8. He got the Long Beach Red with the 2 tone red/black interior. I got the Elkhart Lake Blue with black interior.

edit: The first time I had it out, a car with 2 young guys followed me and videoed the car. I went to a local park to get some pictures and 2 families came over and asked to have their pictures taken with the car. The car draws a lot of attention.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^^^
Something like this? Very cool..

Old 05-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a 2016 Audi A5, and a 2017 F150. On the allocation list for a C8, hope to get by September/October this year, a 2022. If you want the car get it while you still want it. If you wait too long it won’t matter anymore because you eventually will not want it.
lesjrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #54

I was going down 45 over the weekend and a guy in one of the new Corvettes took off beside me . There was no rumble , it had a strange sound . Almost like a bunch of marbles on steel . Scared me to death.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #55

One of the things that has always concerned me about a vette is that it would be hard to really enjoy it. At least in Michigan. Our roads are so bed, I can't imagine how bad a vette would ride. To the point of damage. Further, it would be hard to ever really push a car like that. I'm sure it can hit 100 without hardly any effort. Sure, there's the every once in awhile opportunity to get on it, but really, not too often. If I had a vette, I'd want to get involved in an organized track racing club or something like that so I could really drive that beast. IMHO, the new ones look great, but the previous model stingrays was one heck of a nice looking vette with just enough of a nod to the past stingrays yet totally modern. I envy you all a little that have either one but I'm more of a late 60's muscle car fan at heart.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:13 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never been much for sports cars. Really prefer old classics. I would love to have a Deusenberg. Since I don’t have a extra million to sink into a car I’ll have to forgo that dream…
Old 05-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Same exact reason I sold mine.
Smart move.

I've split the stitching in the seat back where I push off to get out. Figured it's time to go.

The new C-8's look very nice.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bought the DW a bucket list convertible Mustang last May on our 32nd anniversary. Definitely been a blast, good weather date nights include a drive somewhere & are lots of fun. We're off for a 4 day Route 66 road trip next week for our 33rd.
BobMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
IMHO, the new ones look great, but the previous model stingrays was one heck of a nice looking vette with just enough of a nod to the past stingrays yet totally modern. I envy you all a little that have either one but I'm more of a late 60's muscle car fan at heart.
If I could have any vette, it would be the 1963 split window.

I'm sure the newer vette's could run rings around it, but I don't care.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Corvette - a C3 on the outside and a C6 underneath. We’ve had Vettes for years and we’ll drive it quite a bit in the summer, but park it for the winter. Still worth it.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote