Car Insurance

DangerMouse

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone gone thru the process recently of pricing up auto insurance? We are insured by AAA and think they are a bit pricey. I tried Geico and they actually came in $200 cheaper than AAA and that was with a 10% discount from AAA because of multiple policies.

Any recommendations of who to try next?

you might want to post this question to the city-data.com forum for your area.

When we moved to Vegas I got recommendations on local car/home insurance, pool service and a car mechanic from the site.

It's wonderful for local questions.

I just repriced insurance for 2 cars, home and umbrella as a package with a local independent agent. Total price came in within $25 of current rates. I'd ask for quotes from the usual suspects and see if they can beat your current company.

About every 5 years or so, I look into this, and when I mention that I currently have USAA, they always simply say "Oh, we can't beat them."
End of story.

If you have a good credit score try Progressive. Use the website.

I admit to being lazy as regards insurance. We have had USAA since 1979 for homeowners, auto and life. I have never looked elsewhere as I understand USAA to be a highly rated insurance company with excellent service.

Has anyone gone thru the process recently of pricing up auto insurance? We are insured by AAA and think they are a bit pricey. I tried Geico and they actually came in $200 cheaper than AAA and that was with a 10% discount from AAA because of multiple policies.
Any recommendations of who to try next?
Unless you can get a USAA membership, it's between GEICO & Progressive. If you haven't already you could also try bundling together your homeowners & liability with your auto insurance.

Berkshire Hathaway shareholders used to be offered an 8% discount on GEICO's policy. I don't know if that's still in effect now that Berkshire's share price has split.

Find out about their policy for replacement parts if you have collision/comprehensive insurance. My insurer will reimburse for re-furbished parts ONLY if the car is more than 3 years old. If refurbished is not available, then the body shop can spec new OEM parts. Some insurers mandate that 3rd party parts be used.

I had no idea about this until I needed a new part for my car.

Also, the a recent consumer reports had a rating of auto insurers. I can't remember which issue exactly.

Just switched this month from Nationwide to USAA. Saved over $300/yr for auto & homeowners.

I admit to being lazy as regards insurance. We have had USAA since 1979 for homeowners, auto and life. I have never looked elsewhere as I understand USAA to be a highly rated insurance company with excellent service.

I do the same thing for the same reason. There are some things I don't mind paying a little more for. Years ago I switched to Geico to get a small pay break and they turned out to be a less than desirable company to work with. It wasn't that it cost me anything it was just I didn't like the way they handled their business when it came to dealing with insurance fraud of someone who ran into me.

Cheers!

I've thought that the true value of insurance, was when you actually used it (claim). You should see the crap unloaded at body shops by the white box truck with the big letters on it. And how body shop people try to make the junk fit, well sort of, good enough to get by, if you don't know what to look for. I'm not poking the body shops, they're doing the best they can with what they're given to work with.

But not to worry, the industry association of secondary worthless parts made in Asia says that they "meet all OEM standards" hahahaha, yeah, right.

Almost all cars of today are of unibody construction. The material strength, the forming, the attachment, are all critical to the crash performance of the vehicle. Many insurance companies specify that cheap crap be used, instead of parts from the original manufacturer. Of course, it's not worded exactly like that ;)

SF will spring for true OEM parts, never had any trouble with them on that. The body shops order the OEM parts up from the local or regional warehouse for that make of car via a dealership's parts department. In bigger metro areas, a dealership may run a big separate warehouse for parts for their brand. Semi's drop off parts on one side of the building, and delivery trucks run in and out the other side. They have a bunch of people on phones sitting in front of computers, and a big counter with constant heavy traffic. Wholesale only for all of this.

I had Allstate for over 20 years, including homeowners, 2 boats & 3 vehicles. Never filed a homeowner's claim until 2008, when my roof was damaged. They gave me so much crap about that roof, before finally I was able to somehow think to use the term "cumulative damage" to the adjuster, who had just finished telling me that no way were they gonna replace my roof. As soon as I spoke those words, he stopped what he was doing, made a private phone call, and voila!....instant new roof! I have no idea where I got the thought to say "cumulative damage" but apparently it tripped some kind of secret trigger. Anyhow...once the roof was done, I sold the house & moved out of state, and immediately told Allstate to cram it. I argued with those jerks for a year over that roof. So....I switched to GEICO, and while I haven't filed any claims, I've been happy with their rates, which at least for auto insurance, were a bit better than Allstate. I don't currently have homeowners, since I dont' own any homes. Been with Geico for 2+ yrs now, but am going to get off my lazy butt & take a look at USAA. Several friends have been talking it up, so I'm gonna look into it...soon...sort of...

I don't currently have homeowners, since I dont' own any homes.
So what happens if the place where you're living burns down? Who pays for replacing your goods? No one, you're uninsured. Generally any insurance your landlord carries covers his/her interests -- not yours.

Even if you don't own a home, you need homeowners insurance to protect your personal property.

-- Rita

That would be renter's insurance.... not homeowner's. And no...I currently don't carry any renter's insuranceat least not on MY apartment. However...

Currently, my wife has an apartment in one city/state, and I'm in my own apartment in a different city/state. My work schedule is 4 ten hr days, Monday - Thursday, and so every or at least most Thursday nights, I'm at her place, since it's only a 125 mile drive (2 hrs). If my apartment burned, I can honestly say I wouldn't miss most of what I'd lose! It's junk city. Liveable, but very temporary. The good stuff is kept at my wife's place, or in a climate controlled storage unit that we have. We DO have rental insurance at her apt. but it's through the apt. company.

In 2 years, when I retire, we'll pay cash for our retirement home and it will be well insured.

Even if you don't own a home, you need homeowners insurance to protect your personal property.
I agree with this for young low-income folks who are just starting out, but we haven't carried personal property insurance for several years on a four-bedroom house crammed full of crap.

I'd clarify your statement to say that personal property insurance can reduce the cost of replacing your personal property. The difference is that we have very little personal property we'd care to replace, and it's been fully depreciated. Actual cash value personal property insurance is pretty cheap, but replacement-value insurance was getting fairly expensive when we stopped the policy.

If the fire burned us out then we'd rebuild the house and slowly start refilling it from Craigslist.

I have been happy with Mercury insurance, via a local insurance broker. They originally gave me a great price for 1 car and house... 2/3 what I was paying. We now have a lot more insurance and any changes can be done by email.

Agent even tells me when they cannot be competitive and tells me to go elsewhere.

Had GEICO until they raised my rates by 50% in one year even though I had no claims, accidents, or tickets.

Have been with Progressive for the past 5 years and my rates have not increase one cent over that time. My only claims have been for chipped and cracked windshields (common in Arizona) and they have been quick to OK the repairs.

I changed my P&C company about 3 years ago and reduced my cost quite a bit.

I am planning on reevaluating at the 5 year mark to see if I can reduce the cost (with a reputable insurer).

I was involved in an auto accident a few years back. The other driver was at fault, ( I was rear-ended). His ins. was progressive. I was so impressed with how they handled this accident that I switched to progressive.

Homeowners/renters insurance also covers you for liability. If someone trips and falls on your property, it'd be nice not to fight the lawsuit and pay out of pocket. I also carry PELP (umbrella) insurance and they'll require you to have underlying house and car insurance for liability.

Otherwise I'd probably be happy to take my chances and self-insure my property. I just don't want a lawsuit wiping out my other assets.

No one mentioned 21st Century (used to be 20th Century). They have the lowest rates around here. They do cherry pick their customers and their service is on the light side but I do recommend them.

State Farm has been very good to me. I carry 250/500 K on 2005 Corolla's and I'm over 50 with a good driving record. I drop collision and pay 350 per year(in SoCal). Seems like a steal to me. They're always rated very high by Consumer Reports and they have an "A" Weiss rating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom