Join Early Retirement Today

Car service recommendation
Old 11-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Car service recommendation

Since DH and I retired, we are only putting 3-5K miles on each car per year. Both cars have recommended service schedules every 5K miles. While we were working, that was 3-4 times per year. Now, it’s less than once a year. Both of us drive 2007 model cars.

For those who know about car maintenance, is there a maximum interval you think we should go before service - is once a year or 5K miles, whichever happens first? Or is sticking to the 5K miles ok?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Under warranty you might want to adhere to whatever is suggested. But I’m not clear if you mean oil changes or dealer recommended services. I do conventional oil changes every 5K miles, which is about twice a year now, and was closer to three times a year while working. I’ve run synthetic oil in two cars, changed on 10K intervals Toyota, 6K intervals Subaru - though I may extend that once out of warranty. I would probably do an oil change once a year minimum if we drove less than 5K year.

If you’re talking the dealer suggested maintenance packages, I almost never follow them as they’re famously padded to excess. I do what’s recommended in the manual from the manufacturer at the mileage intervals they suggest and ignore what the dealer recommends. I let the dealer rip me off once with their package at 100K miles, but that’s it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:38 AM   #3

Dad was the best shade tree mechanic I have known. Always stuck to 3,500 mile oil changes, "cheap insurance", etc. About 20 years ago, he threw in that towel and took to 6,000-7,000 mile changes. He said the newer, modern blends of oil changed his mind.

As to recommended service schedules, I have found that Goodyear and Firestone can do the same services for far less than the dealership. True, you don't get the ultra luxury waiting room with latte bar, but you can save some serious money.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

5K mile service intervals are sufficient. Modern cars are built to tighter tolerances than "the old days." And for the most part, all that's required is an oil and filter change.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Interesting question. Our "car" (a 20-year old Town & Country) gets less than 2,000 miles a year put on it these days. It has 140, 250 miles on it currently -- we purchased it new. I have been a follower of the 3,500 mile and sometimes this is three years between oil changes. This has always kinda bothered me though.

Making the "oil change" question easy is answered by our 10-year old RV built on a 2008 Chevrolet Express van chassis -- it has over 204, 000 miles on it. The oil changes are determined by the on-board computer. Over the years it has varied from 7,000 to 12,000 miles. When I asked the dealer's mechanic why that was, he said it was determined by how I drive and the conditions of the travel. For instance, dusty conditions would mean more frequent changes. As would steep mountainous trips. (Keeping the speed below 65 MPH helps also.)

I know that defines the 3,500 miles rule as bunk but not about the intervals. I will be looking forward to the comments on this thread.

FWIW, I have used synthetic oil only every fourth oil change in the RV.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I do once a year on my Miata which I put 1,-3,000 miles on. I time it with my state inspection so I don't have to make an extra trip. Most sources I've read say not to go longer than a year.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
FWIW, I have used synthetic oil only every fourth oil change in the RV.
Ages ago, when synthetics took over, I vaguely remember reading that once you switch to synthetic you should never put regular oil in the crankcase again. Gunks up the works or something. Was this a myth?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Most sources I've read say not to go longer than a year.
And these sources are?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

You got it right..... Normally, 5k miles "or" once a year, whichever comes first. If you drive in extreme climates/conditions or drive high performance cars then you can cut those numbers "by as much as" half.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Ages ago, when synthetics took over, I vaguely remember reading that once you switch to synthetic you should never put regular oil in the crankcase again. Gunks up the works or something. Was this a myth?
Apparently yes:

Quote:
Synthetic Oil Myths

Myth: Once you switch to synthetic oil, you can never switch back.

This is one of the most persistent myths about synthetic oil—and completely untrue. You can switch back and forth at any time. In fact, synthetic blends are simply a mixture of synthetic and conventional oils. It is advisable that you use the same oil for top-ups if needed, thereby giving you the best protection from the oil that you have chosen.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educa...NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=
Old 11-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #11

Our Camry's - 1997-190K miles and 2002 - 280K miles are still in great working condition. We change the oil every 3-4K miles. When something goes wrong we have a local mechanic we trust. He gives the lowest prices for repair/maintenance. We no longer "need" two cars but these just keep going. We take the 2002 on longer road trips, no issues.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Apparently. I have always had the service on the RV done at the Chevrolet dealer -- primarily because they are the only convenient place with a special lift that can handle the RV (it has too many things on the undercarriage that are vulnerable to damage). This schedule was done with the blessing of every mechanic that has worked on it. In fact, it was originally suggested by
the Service Manager.

You are correct, however, in that I don't really know the answer. On the other hand, I have driven the vehicle 204,000 trouble-free miles and fully expect another 100,000 of the same. (Remember, the Express Van is designed for commercial heavy-duty use and is designed and expected to go at least 300,000 miles without engine repair.)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And these sources are?
I don't remember all of them through the years but my mechanic says it's fine, and google shows consumer reports saying this, as well as articles in the Chicago Trib and NY Times. Friends of mine say this too. At least one says I should be doing it every 6 months, because the "chemistry" breaks down, but after 19 years I think I'm doing ok.

Not absolute gold sources but they confirm what I'm doing. If I saw sources that say otherwise I'd dig deeper.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #14
gone traveling

"Service" is a very vague term, if you mean oil changes I wouldn't go much longer than a year or 7500 without an oil change.

You also need to have the brakes checked every other year and your belts, antifreeze and transmission fluids changed every 5 years or so.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
You got it right..... Normally, 5k miles "or" once a year, whichever comes first.
What is the reasoning behind the "once a year" theory?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Wow. I suffered from the one way synthetic myth for decades. I bet the Magliozzis cleared that up a time or two and I missed those shows.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #17

once/year with synthetic for the newer vehicles

twice/year for the older ones...none are driven much
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
"Service" is a very vague term, if you mean oil changes I wouldn't go much longer than a year or 7500 without an oil change.
I am unsure if this was meant for me but I tell the Service Manager to completely inspect all areas of the vehicle and use the manufacturer's schedule for any other items (like spark plug changes). The only exception I make is that I have the transmission fluid changed every 2,500-3,000 mile because of the 5 ton cargo. They normally take a day to do this -- I take it in in the morning and they call me late afternoon to pick it up.

Since this is our "house" on the road, I cannot have (well, do everything I can to avoid) an unexpected breakdown -- like needing brakes, for instance.

The oil change thing, I answered above but I will rely on analysis of the oil to determine oil change timing rather than some "rule of thumb."
Old 11-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What is the reasoning behind the "once a year" theory?
"Over time", chemical changes and wear from heating up the oil and cooling it back down repeatedly (e.g. starting and stopping a engine) along with condensation (water) buildups and engine deposits from the combustion process (burning gas), etc, all contribute to the break down oil. Mileage is very important and the typical measure but time "can" become a real factor.

Higher operating temps, higher compression, dusty air, etc, all help accelerate that breakdown.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
"Over time", chemical changes from heating up the oil and cooling it back down repeatedly (e.g. starting and stopping a engine) along with condensation (water) buildups and engine deposits from the combustion process (burning gas), etc, all contribute to the break down oil.

Higher operating temps, higher compression, dusty air, etc, all help accelerate that breakdown.
So, starting the engine and bringing it up to operating temperature is what breaks down the oil. Assuming the car is operated daily in this fashion, that would mean 365 instances before needing an oil change (according to legend). It would take maybe ten years before that happens with our vehicle.